15th Pick - Adreian Payne

gsuteke

@spud, I was looking at his jumper too. He's very confident, gets that good lift like you said, and seems to have the muscle memory down. Bud is a "shooting zealot" so I know he was giddy about his upside and stepping that range out a couple feet for the league. Free throw shooting looked good, too. I think Bud is much more of a stickler about that than Pop has been.

I don't really see the Horry comparison, their body types are very different, not to mention roles with Horry being basically the icing on a championship squad and Payne is part of a building project halfway in. I hope the "Amare with a three" is more accurate as his ceiling. Maresse Speights with Spur grooming and intangibles is the floor. As long as he hustles and bangs, Bud and crew can clean up his shortcomings with defensive and passing awareness. Bud and Sap should put in work training him and Mike on hard, 2-3 dribble straight drives to the hole.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

K- Mart was a freak athlete, he was just limited skill wise. Freak athlete with a nice jumper and a limited post game. 

Ya'll really going overboard. K-Mart? Horf? 

I can't wait till summer league so ya'll can be realistic on homie. 

I just want him to be effective and productive. He does that, I'm good. 

• Like 1

K- Mart was a freak athlete, he was just limited skill wise. Freak athlete with a nice jumper and a limited post game. 

Ya'll really going overboard. K-Mart? Horf? 

I can't wait till summer league so ya'll can be realistic on homie. 

I just want him to be effective and productive. He does that, I'm good. 

I meant Horford in terms of athlete; high center of gravity, athletic, 6'9". In terms of ability, he's definitely not Horford, right now at least. He's not as strong as Antić, but that's the role he'll play for us at first at least.

I don't think Kmart could shoot as well as Payne. And Kmart was a bit more of a banger inside.

IIRC K-mart shot more from deep early in his career, and Payne is still only 23, with allot of physical talent, needing to find his way in the NBA and might be banging allot more in the future.

Maybe its just this stretch forward NBA game of today that had him thinking to adjust his game, shoot more and stay slimmer. Back in the days he might have been more keen to build some powerful stiff arms and stuff.

But yeah, it was the goatie and bald head that got me thinking about k-mart...that...and sick dunks...and his power dribbles.

This pick might actually be a steal. Sure hope it will.

I liked what another poster said btw, that SF are very available in free-agency, that 6-10 PF are high priced as FA's, and that Brand, Antić, Ayón had way to many minutes. Also Millsap is perhaps overvalued ATM being an allstar, on a one year contract, and needing more cash on the next.

I can see what Ferry was thinking.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

@spud, I was looking at his jumper too. He's very confident, gets that good lift like you said, and seems to have the muscle memory down. Bud is a "shooting zealot" so I know he was giddy about his upside and stepping that range out a couple feet for the league. Free throw shooting looked good, too. I think Bud is much more of a stickler about that than Pop has been.

I don't really see the Horry comparison, their body types are very different, not to mention roles with Horry being basically the icing on a championship squad and Payne is part of a building project halfway in. I hope the "Amare with a three" is more accurate as his ceiling. Maresse Speights with Spur grooming and intangibles is the floor. As long as he hustles and bangs, Bud and crew can clean up his shortcomings with defensive and passing awareness. Bud and Sap should put in work training him and Mike on hard, 2-3 dribble straight drives to the hole.

You need to go watch Horry as a young Rocket. He was no icing on the cake guy.

And no way he's Amare. Just like Horry y'all have forgotten what he used to be. Amare was a physical freak of nature and while Payne is no slouch he's nowhere near Amare.

For you guys who think Marcus Fizer comparison is harsh, the Cliff Robinson would be better for you. Proven success, had a good career, etc. Fizer was a better prospect than Robinson but his bust could really be assigned to injuries, go to a horrible team who didn't develop players, and a bad overall fit for him. Payne is better out of college at the PnR, PnP, and better shooter out of college than Cliff.

For you guys who think Marcus Fizer comparison is harsh, the Cliff Robinson would be better for you. Proven success, had a good career, etc. Fizer was a better prospect than Robinson but his bust could really be assigned to injuries, go to a horrible team who didn't develop players, and a bad overall fit for him. Payne is better out of college at the PnR, PnP, and better shooter out of college than Cliff.

Ummmm...okay. I'm not sure what the heck your trying to get at but ahhhh, ok.

Could he get minutes at center? May need to add 10lbs or so but he would be athletic center like Amare maybe?

With a little strength I think he could. He's not as strong or as disciplined as Horford is on defense but they've got similar dimensions. His defense will be pretty weak until he gets coached up, though, he didn't defend too well in college.

Double Dragon, Double Dribble, Contra - very nice. Hadn't thought about those games in a long time.

On a related note (okay, not really related at all), I typically buy into the idea that older players make worse NBA prospects, but I don't think the general rule applies as much to Payne for a couple of reasons.  First, we aren't drafting him as a potential all-star and hoping he'll develop his raw athleticism into a complete package over time; we're drafting him to play a certain role - to space the floor with his shooting - and that skill is already there.  So if you say he won't improve much, I say he doesn't need to improve much.

Second, Payne's perimeter shooting isn't dependent on being older (and thus stronger) than the dudes he's playing against (i.e., he's not a 6'8 power forward who's bullying younger guys around the basket, he's a 6'10 power forward hitting perimeter shots). While I do think he could use a bit of a quicker release, overall I think his shooting should translate to the NBA.

Finally, Payne's not a tweener or a sub-par athlete.  Some tweeners slowly become successful college players, but ultimately they can't transition to the NBA (someone like Jimmer Fredette or Shelden Williams). Jimmer's shooting, for example, translated to the NBA fairly well, but overall he's too small to be a SG and too slow to be a PG, just as Shelden was too small to be a C and not athletic enough to be a PF.  Payne, on the other hand, is 6'10 with a solid wingspan and appears to be a good leaper and fairly strong, so I think he'll be able to rebound and defend his position while still hitting shots from the perimeter or getting dunks when the opportunity arises.

That's a long way of saying he should be able to do exactly what we drafted him to do, which makes him a good pick at 15 in my opinion.

• Like 2

• Moderators

The thing about Payne is he prefers playing inside. Yes, he can shoot 3pt shots, but prefer rolling to the hoop out of the PnR and playing around the hoop (within 16 ft). Him being able to make 3pters is more of a bonus to his game than a definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Double Dragon, Double Dribble, Contra - very nice. Hadn't thought about those games in a long time.

On a related note (okay, not really related at all), I typically buy into the idea that older players make worse NBA prospects, but I don't think the general rule applies as much to Payne for a couple of reasons.  First, we aren't drafting him as a potential all-star and hoping he'll develop his raw athleticism into a complete package over time; we're drafting him to play a certain role - to space the floor with his shooting - and that skill is already there.  So if you say he won't improve much, I say he doesn't need to improve much.

Second, Payne's perimeter shooting isn't dependent on being older (and thus stronger) than the dudes he's playing against (i.e., he's not a 6'8 power forward who's bullying younger guys around the basket, he's a 6'10 power forward hitting perimeter shots). While I do think he could use a bit of a quicker release, overall I think his shooting should translate to the NBA.

Finally, Payne's not a tweener or a sub-par athlete.  Some tweeners slowly become successful college players, but ultimately they can't transition to the NBA (someone like Jimmer Fredette or Shelden Williams). Jimmer's shooting, for example, translated to the NBA fairly well, but overall he's too small to be a SG and too slow to be a PG, just as Shelden was too small to be a C and not athletic enough to be a PF.  Payne, on the other hand, is 6'10 with a solid wingspan and appears to be a good leaper and fairly strong, so I think he'll be able to rebound and defend his position while still hitting shots from the perimeter or getting dunks when the opportunity arises.

That's a long way of saying he should be able to do exactly what we drafted him to do, which makes him a good pick at 15 in my opinion.

Exactly.  the knock on him is really his small lungs/asthma, although it sounds like he is not going to be as smart of a player as horf or sap.  (I'm avoiding having a rambling discussion about how lung size isn't a determinant of  aerobic potential.)