• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

15th Pick - Adreian Payne

gsuteke

Comparing to Payne to Smoove is simply laughable. Meltdown clearly has no clue what he is talking about. I watch college basketball more than anyone especially the big ten and Payne was a beast at mich st. He does all things well a big his size should do.

• Like 2

Yeah it's not even close to accurate.  He wasn't my 1st choice of guys available but he's gonna fit in real well with us. @coachx likes him a lot too and he watches more college ball than probably anyone here. 

Sorry should have included @Alex in this since he's a Spartan fan and knows all about Payne and loves him.  In fact I hear they gave each other mono :saythat: I kid I kid

• Like 2

Please explain to me why you couldnt have Sap ,Horf, and Payne on the court for decent stretches?  We lacked quality size and this guy not only has that but he can shoot as well.

We'd be a little slow for one thing and susceptible to smaller / quicker lineups.  But I would imagine there will be times we see that lineup. 

Man.....been banging the table for this guy in the draft forum for months.

When watching him play all I could think of was how perfect he fits our system. He was the only non wing player on my board at 15.

Payne and Warren were my 2 guys with man crushes this year ( for pick 15 ).

Horford is coming off injury and Milsap only has 1 year left under contract. Not to mention we lacked size in the paint all season.

Wings are more plentiful in free agency then bigs. Pull in Ariza or Deng and we have a contender in the East if the roster stays healthy.

You called it coach. Of my top five, T.J. Warren, Young, Hood, McDermott, and Stauskas, Hood and Young were available at 15. I can live with this pick as I think Payne is a solid player. My biggest worry is Young going to the Celtics, I hope that pick turns into a Danny Ainge whiff.

• Moderators

I don't hate this pick.  With his length, athleticism and shooting he would have to be a tool on or off the court not to have a role in the rotation.  The two things I don't like about it are:  23 & PF.  Seems like we are getting a guy with a lot less growth potential who will be coming off the bench for a while for us.  While the frontcourt is the place you want to have excessive depth, it seems like we have a screaming need at the wing spot.  Thus, we are taking a "win now" player at a position of luxury (stretch PF) onto a roster that really isn't ready to win now.

Hopefully it will work out well, but I fear we are going to regret having passed on a stud wing that was available when we picked.  

Well, now that he is part of the Hawk family...welcome aboard Payne!

• Like 1

AS A MICHIGAN STATE FAN, LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT BECAUSE THERE ARE SOME POSTERS IN HERE WHO OBVIOUSLY KNOW JACK $HIT ABOUT ADREIAN PAYNE.  

So you wanna know THE TRUTH about Payne?

He was the best player on the Spartans this season and peaked near the end of the year especially in Big 10 tournament play despite having an undiagnosed medical condition that causes fatigue.  He absolutely willed his team to wins in several big games in conference play, dominating in wins against teams like Ohio State.  He also did this the year after losing his front court partner Draymond Green, so he was a major focus of defenses all year.

Anyone who says he is a Josh Smith clone is ignorant and/or delusional.  He is the anti-Josh Smith.  He's a team guy (expect nothing less from Izzo's guys), and he absolutely is a tremendous shooter for a guy his size (both 3's and FT's).  I am not sure he can develop into a true starter on a championship-caliber team, but this guy can definitely be a major role player for us for years.  He's a perfect fit for what we're trying to do in having a squad of versatile guys who can stretch the floor and play team ball.

Also, he's a great defender (ie. BLOCKS).  I'm not gonna say he is an excellent back to the basket player on offense, but he can hold his own in that department and is a great defender and rebounder.  He will be really solid.

What this tells me is not that this is the end of Mike Scott.  This is us preparing to either trade Millsap this offseason or to a contender at the deadline or possibly let him walk after next season.  Millsap's been great and we got him at a bargain, but I just don't see him as part of the long term plan.  He won't come as cheap to re-sign, and he and Al are not ideal on the court (or roster) together.  Al is our franchise.  He is our Duncan.  He ain't going anywhere.  Horford, Payne, Mike Scott, Nogueira, Tavaras and (possibly) Muscala are our front court of the future.  If Nogueira and/or Tavares can develop into serviceable players, I really like what is going on.

Now we need to rid ourselves of Lou and get another real couple of wings and hope the light might come on for Jenkins this year.  I still can't believe he hasn't showed us more--thought he'd be a knockdown shooter for us and he just hasn't seemed to have gotten comfortable on the NBA level...it's bizarre because he was basically box and oned in college and how can't score when he has plenty of room to work with.  Oh well.

I give the Payne pick a solid A.  You guys will come to like this guy a lot in time.