15th Pick - Adreian Payne

gsuteke

AS A MICHIGAN STATE FAN, LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT BECAUSE THERE ARE SOME POSTERS IN HERE WHO OBVIOUSLY KNOW JACK $HIT ABOUT ADREIAN PAYNE.  

So you wanna know THE TRUTH about Payne?

He was the best player on the Spartans this season and peaked near the end of the year especially in Big 10 tournament play despite having an undiagnosed medical condition that causes fatigue.  He absolutely willed his team to wins in several big games in conference play, dominating in wins against teams like Ohio State.  He also did this the year after losing his front court partner Draymond Green, so he was a major focus of defenses all year.

Anyone who says he is a Josh Smith clone is ignorant and/or delusional.  He is the anti-Josh Smith.  He's a team guy (expect nothing less from Izzo's guys), and he absolutely is a tremendous shooter for a guy his size (both 3's and FT's).  I am not sure he can develop into a true starter on a championship-caliber team, but this guy can definitely be a major role player for us for years.  He's a perfect fit for what we're trying to do in having a squad of versatile guys who can stretch the floor and play team ball.

Also, he's a great defender (ie. BLOCKS).  I'm not gonna say he is an excellent back to the basket player on offense, but he can hold his own in that department and is a great defender and rebounder.  He will be really solid.

What this tells me is not that this is the end of Mike Scott.  This is us preparing to either trade Millsap this offseason or to a contender at the deadline or possibly let him walk after next season.  Millsap's been great and we got him at a bargain, but I just don't see him as part of the long term plan.  He won't come as cheap to re-sign, and he and Al are not ideal on the court (or roster) together.  Al is our franchise.  He is our Duncan.  He ain't going anywhere.  Horford, Payne, Mike Scott, Nogueira, Tavaras and (possibly) Muscala are our front court of the future.  If Nogueira and/or Tavares can develop into serviceable players, I really like what is going on.

Now we need to rid ourselves of Lou and get another real couple of wings and hope the light might come on for Jenkins this year.  I still can't believe he hasn't showed us more--thought he'd be a knockdown shooter for us and he just hasn't seemed to have gotten comfortable on the NBA level...it's bizarre because he was basically box and oned in college and how can't score when he has plenty of room to work with.  Oh well.

I give the Payne pick a solid A.  You guys will come to like this guy a lot in time.

We do need to flip Millsap sooner than later.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Yeah, that was my second thought when we drafted him. First thought was God, just like the Falcons, let's draft old ass rookies on the Hawks now too! but the SECOND thought was I wonder if Millsap is out the door in a trade.

Man.....been banging the table for this guy in the draft forum for months.

When watching him play all I could think of was how perfect he fits our system. He was the only non wing player on my board at 15.

Payne and Warren were my 2 guys with man crushes this year ( for pick 15 ).

Horford is coming off injury and Milsap only has 1 year left under contract. Not to mention we lacked size in the paint all season.

Wings are more plentiful in free agency then bigs. Pull in Ariza or Deng and we have a contender in the East if the roster stays healthy.

I like that last part you said....us being hawk fans and knowing how badly we need bigs, we should have realized that wings are more plentiful in free agency as you mentioned...in fact because that's true I see why ferry chose to draft his big to develop and just grab a wing to that can come in and help now.

I see ferry going hard after....

-parsons

-deng

-ariza

In that order. Getting just one of those guys and our team will be pretty damn good going into next season.

AS A MICHIGAN STATE FAN, LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT BECAUSE THERE ARE SOME POSTERS IN HERE WHO OBVIOUSLY KNOW JACK $HIT ABOUT ADREIAN PAYNE.

So you wanna know THE TRUTH about Payne?

He was the best player on the Spartans this season and peaked near the end of the year especially in Big 10 tournament play despite having an undiagnosed medical condition that causes fatigue. He absolutely willed his team to wins in several big games in conference play, dominating in wins against teams like Ohio State. He also did this the year after losing his front court partner Draymond Green, so he was a major focus of defenses all year.

Anyone who says he is a Josh Smith clone is ignorant and/or delusional. He is the anti-Josh Smith. He's a team guy (expect nothing less from Izzo's guys), and he absolutely is a tremendous shooter for a guy his size (both 3's and FT's). I am not sure he can develop into a true starter on a championship-caliber team, but this guy can definitely be a major role player for us for years. He's a perfect fit for what we're trying to do in having a squad of versatile guys who can stretch the floor and play team ball.

Also, he's a great defender (ie. BLOCKS). I'm not gonna say he is an excellent back to the basket player on offense, but he can hold his own in that department and is a great defender and rebounder. He will be really solid.

What this tells me is not that this is the end of Mike Scott. This is us preparing to either trade Millsap this offseason or to a contender at the deadline or possibly let him walk after next season. Millsap's been great and we got him at a bargain, but I just don't see him as part of the long term plan. He won't come as cheap to re-sign, and he and Al are not ideal on the court (or roster) together. Al is our franchise. He is our Duncan. He ain't going anywhere. Horford, Payne, Mike Scott, Nogueira, Tavaras and (possibly) Muscala are our front court of the future. If Nogueira and/or Tavares can develop into serviceable players, I really like what is going on.

Now we need to rid ourselves of Lou and get another real couple of wings and hope the light might come on for Jenkins this year. I still can't believe he hasn't showed us more--thought he'd be a knockdown shooter for us and he just hasn't seemed to have gotten comfortable on the NBA level...it's bizarre because he was basically box and oned in college and how can't score when he has plenty of room to work with. Oh well.

I give the Payne pick a solid A. You guys will come to like this guy a lot in time.

Thanks for giving us your feedback on Payne! It was def needed on these boards. Personally I already knew of the guy so I was cool with the pick....any ways I wanted to say that I would have to disagree with you on the sap leaving the hawks. I think Sap stays unless we get a really good player for him. To me if the hawks are trying to be the spurs east they better hold on to quality big men like sap so they can have a great rotation.

Everybody says sap won't come back for 9m but honestly if ferry has to...11m per year is worth keeping Sap. I don't see sap as a player to chase money I honestly believe he just wants to win and be apart of something special. I see Sap as a hawk in future.

• Like 1

As far as this thread goes, I'm not certain why a pf, even if he's a stretch 4 fits on our team due to having Sap and Horford. At that point I would have drafted James Young or Rodney Hood personally but whatever. I really respect coachx's assessment of college players and he vouched for Payne so I can go to bed a happy man. :-)

As far as this thread goes, I'm not certain why a pf, even if he's a stretch 4 fits on our team due to having Sap and Horford. At that point I would have drafted James Young or Rodney Hood personally but whatever. I really respect coachx's assessment of college players and he vouched for Payne so I can go to bed a happy man. :-)

Insurance policy just incase if Paul Millsap becomes to expensive during next years free agency.

I like that last part you said....us being hawk fans and knowing how badly we need bigs, we should have realized that wings are more plentiful in free agency as you mentioned...in fact because that's true I see why ferry chose to draft his big to develop and just grab a wing to that can come in and help now.

I see ferry going hard after....

-parsons

-deng

-ariza

In that order. Getting just one of those guys and our team will be pretty damn good going into next season.

I agree. Ferry knows we need a wing and wings come cheaper in free agency than 6"10 pf's who can shoot and are as athletic as Payne.

This team got owned on the glass last season. I know Horford missed a majority of the season again, but when you have guys coming in like Ayón and a 97 year old Elton Brand that spells trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This team got owned on the glass last season. I know Horford missed a majority of the season again, but when you have guys coming in like Ayón and a 97 year old Elton Brand that spells trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of that is by design of the system. But yes we certainly need quality, healthy young bigs who can help there. 

• Moderators

CNNSI:

Winner: Adreian Payne's tie

Michigan State's Payne ​probably deserves the "Best Dressed" award given his bow tie, jacket, loud pants and the awesome new "Pac Man" logo Hawks hat to top it all off.

hawks.jpg

• Like 2