• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Rockets

lethalweapon3

Good win, 3-0 vs Chi,Cle,Hou. only need 2 more wins to go 5-3 throughout the rest of the year and make it a win

The 4th period was pretty impressive. They had a lot going against them.... Harden is one of the refs favorite players... Then you're playing a really good team in their building without your leading scorer. 

I feel like Houston is an especially tough matchup with their size and we still pulled through. It got really, really ugly there for a while, but they made the plays at the end. I loved the defense on Harden at the end more than anything else. Perfect job by DMC and the help.

• Like 1

I'm just happy we got a lot of good calls to go our way, that helped.  Not that any of them were terrible calls, but it's hard to get them in Houston's house when you have guys like Dwight and Harden that will play to the refs.

That was probably my favorite part of tonight, seeing the frustration on Harden because we were playing good D and he couldn't just drive in and get the foul he wanted.  Never been a fan of Dwight and Harden.  Seeing them both try and do some stupid little pushes they got called on didn't help that view either.

• Like 3

On a side note:  even though you do bring a degree of negativity to this board Hotlanta, you handled that pretty well.  I don't know if hawksfanatic kicked back too many tonight but seems a bit overboard....

I try and be balanced and criticize what I don't like but I'm also a glass half full type of person - I need that to be a hawks fan myself and have that hope after years of letdown.  Honestly I don't see how you can watch and be a fan without that hope but as you said you are who you are.

I'm not going to try and change you but I can't say I understand you either.  That said, good win and at least we can both at least be happy about that tonight!

It's an amazing dynamic, this forum. People have no problem with inherently negative posters and when they are called out, others are quick to offer them support. I can't grasp it, understand it, or begin to digest it. I have no prob with Hots and I'm sure he is a decent dude. But Hawksfanatic's POV is one I can relate with. It's like someone coming to the neighborhood pub and talking shit about the neighborhood and saying the food sucks. Not typically going to go over well.

• Like 2

It's like someone coming to the neighborhood pub and talking shit about the neighborhood and saying the food sucks. Not typically going to go over well.

Ha!  I love this comparison.  Hotlanta can continue to do what Hotlanta does, that I don't have a problem with.  Doesn't mean it won't come with its fair share of backlash though.

My man Korver came through in the clutch and also set a franchise record with the most consecutive free throws made with 49. Great team win. This Hawks team is rolling.

He came through in the clutch and did it in clutch city!

Man that game had me bitingly nails in the 2nd half but it was an awesome win. This team are so mentally tough and I honestly can't see them ever quitting in a game. I absolutely love this team and can't remember the last time u believed in them so much.

And Horford has really started to come around. I'm glad to eat my words on him. This team creates a lot of turnovers and challenges and block a lot more shots than I'd ever expect.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I try to stay out of the personal stuff and merry-go-rounds (and kicking myself for even entertaining it here recently...I know better).  I learned that 10 years ago, digging up stats and going round and round trying to defend my choices for draft picks (namely Chris Paul).  I've wasted days arguing with people about players that are long gone or never came here in the first place.  Honestly, some people just don't like certain personalities and will disagree with them on that alone - even if they're 100% right.  And with the anonymity of the Internet, the worst human traits always seem to come out.  

Personally, when I recognize a certain personality type I just ignore/avoid it.  I've known @Hotlanta1981 for like...13 years.  I used to ignore him like that over at RealGM.  Surprisingly, over the past 5-6 years, I find myself agreeing with him more.  Truthfully, there's only a handful of guys whose opinions I respect more.  Why?  Not because he's right all the time or respectful, but because he's honest.  I don't even see him as negative.  He's got a high standard of what a winner should be (and always has), and when we don't measure up Hots voices his opinion.

Ultimately, he is a fan.  We all are and no matter how much you may disagree with any fan's opinion, we all want the same result.  Which means we are all on the same side.  The problem is pride and a lack of empathy - the inability to accept/understand any other opinion/POV but your own.

Before Monday: "b-b-b-but the Hawks haven't played anybody"

After Wednesday: "b-b-but wait till they play western conference teams"

I love it when the home team makes talking heads look stupid. I even see people trying to move the goalposts to the playoffs now lol

Case in point...this^^^

Strength of schedule?  Playing in weak conference?  Consensus top teams going through transition...  All of those are valid reasons for being skeptical - especially for a franchise that has traditionally peaked in the 2nd round and hasn't won a playoff series under the current regime.  Which in itself is the very heart of the argument.  The "goalposts" aren't moving.  They were set 3 years ago.  The consensus among the "rebuild/tank" crowd has always been:

"This path will lead us to wins.  We will make the playoffs.  Our ceiling is the 2nd round as a 3rd seed. Teams will get better around us.  Without something to move the needle, we will be stuck there."  

It's fun to win, and people love to be right (I'll certainly remind people of my opinion! grin.gif), but let's not lose sight of the argument.  We've been a winner for years, if we can't do better in the playoffs...then how am I supposed to feel differently than when I was a teenager watching this team decades ago?  I could be wrong, but I'll save my gushing optimism and golden seal of approval for Danny Ferry when we solidify ourselves as a legit contender.

Until then, set some crow aside for me. wink3.gif

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 3

He came through in the clutch and did it in clutch city!

Man that game had me bitingly nails in the 2nd half but it was an awesome win. This team are so mentally tough and I honestly can't see them ever quitting in a game. I absolutely love this team and can't remember the last time u believed in them so much.

And Horford has really started to come around. I'm glad to eat my words on him. This team creates a lot of turnovers and challenges and block a lot more shots than I'd ever expect.

Horf went from having the 2nd worst +/- at double digit negatives which is horrendous status to being back in the positives which was a hard climb believe it or not. I will be honest, Horf was playing average at best ball at the beginning of the yr if not worse. Now, he's top 15 NBA player Al again. Our best player by a mile. Our defense looks like crap without him. Offensively, he could be doing better but at least he's effective and efficient.

I try to stay out of the personal stuff and merry-go-rounds (and kicking myself for even entertaining it here recently...I know better).  I learned that 10 years ago, digging up stats and going round and round trying to defend my choices for draft picks (namely Chris Paul).  I've wasted days arguing with people about players that are long gone or never came here in the first place.  Honestly, some people just don't like certain personalities and will disagree with them on that alone - even if they're 100% right.  And with the anonymity of the Internet, the worst human traits always seem to come out.  

Personally, when I recognize a certain personality type I just ignore/avoid it.  I've known @Hotlanta1981 for like...13 years.  I used to ignore him like that over at RealGM.  Surprisingly, over the past 5-6 years, I find myself agreeing with him more.  Truthfully, there's only a handful of guys whose opinions I respect more.  Why?  Not because he's right all the time or respectful, but because he's honest.  I don't even see him as negative.  He's got a high standard of what a winner should be (and always has), and when we don't measure up Hots voices his opinion.

Ultimately, he is a fan.  We all are and no matter how much you may disagree with any fan's opinion, we all want the same result.  Which means we are all on the same side.  The problem is pride and a lack of empathy - the inability to accept/understand any other opinion/POV but your own.

Case in point...this^^^

Strength of schedule?  Playing in weak conference?  Consensus top teams going through transition...  All of those are valid reasons for being skeptical - especially for a franchise that has traditionally peaked in the 2nd round and hasn't won a playoff series under the current regime.  Which in itself is the very heart of the argument.  The "goalposts" aren't moving.  They were set 3 years ago.  The consensus among the "rebuild/tank" crowd has always been:

"This path will lead us to wins.  We will make the playoffs.  Our ceiling is the 2nd round as a 3rd seed. Teams will get better around us.  Without something to move the needle, we will be stuck there."  

It's fun to win, and people love to be right (I'll certainly remind people of my opinion! grin.gif), but let's not lose sight of the argument.  We've been a winner for years, if we can't do better in the playoffs...then how am I supposed to feel differently than when I was a teenager watching this team decades ago?  I could be wrong, but I'll save my gushing optimism and golden seal of approval for Danny Ferry when we solidify ourselves as a legit contender.

Until then, set some crow aside for me. wink3.gif

I came in like Hots. If not better in terms of respecting some things but worse in terms of respecting other posters and the mods here. I always seen what Hots was saying and he was right a lot times. He refuse to live in the moment and say foolishness like Josh Smith is Nique 2.0 which was being said here because of a dunk contest win.

This is by far our best overall team we had in Atlanta and NO, it's not perfect but damnit, it's pretty good. We got a system, we got a star in Horford and we have the best PG trio in the NBA with Phoenix.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I came in like Hots. If not better in terms of respecting some things but worse in terms of respecting other posters and the mods here. I always seen what Hots was saying and he was right a lot times. He refuse to live in the moment and say foolishness like Josh Smith is Nique 2.0 which was being said here because of a dunk contest win.

This is by far our best overall team we had in Atlanta and NO, it's not perfect but damnit, it's pretty good. We got a system, we got a star in Horford and we have the best PG trio in the NBA with Phoenix.

I wouldn't say it's our best team...I'm partial to the late 80's Nique teams and the 90's Hawks anchored by Deke.  What we do have is a DAMN GOOD COACH.  The way we move the ball, the way everybody knows their role, and the confidence of these guys down to the last man - that's the mark of good coaching and it's what's winning games.  I absolutely love it - and have appreciated it since day one.

I don't like to live in the moment either.  That's part of why I'm tempering my optimism.  We could be .500 right now, and I'd be the same - not bashing Ferry, the players, or other posters.  Just waiting to fully evaluate the team.  I'm really anxious to see how we finish out this stretch of competitive games.

Edited by Wretch

I wouldn't say it's our best team...I'm partial to the late 80's Nique teams and the 90's Hawks anchored by Deke.  What we do have is a DAMN GOOD COACH.  The way we move the ball, the way everybody knows their role, and the confidence of these guys down to the last man - that's the mark of good coaching and it's what's winning games.  I absolutely love it - and have appreciated it since day one.

I don't like to live in the moment either.  That's part of why I'm tempering my optimism.  We could be .500 right now, and I'd be the same - not bashing Ferry, the players, or other posters.  Just waiting to fully evaluate the team.  I'm really anxious to see how we finish out this stretch of competitive games.

This team might beat that late 90's teams. We have to remember that those teams had no depth and Smitty wouldn't be able to contain Korver.

People wonder why I say he's an one star poster. Outside of cap talk, he brings no value with extreme arrogance.

I don't remember it being like this before.... It seemed like he got a big head during the summer when he was endlessly praised for his cap talk. The praised was deserved, but I don't think it's benefitted him in the long run.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

On a side note:  even though you do bring a degree of negativity to this board Hotlanta, you handled that pretty well.  I don't know if hawksfanatic kicked back too many tonight but seems a bit overboard....

Only the rumple to start off the game and 2nd half, which is every game for me. I didn't drink anything else.

Overboard is subjective, but I can see where you're coming from. It's not like anything I said was substantively wrong, it's just put forth in a way that most wouldn't say. Oh well, I don't beat around the bush and I'm an equal opportunity asshole. I'm sick of his shit, calling himself skeptical (ha!) was too much. He's either oblivious to what he posts or is too stupid to tie his shoes. Either way, I'm done reading his insane posts.

He's also a f***ing leach. This site has 0 ads while it runs on servers and software. It also has lots going on behind the scenes and the real world runs on money and not sunshine and Peter Schiff references. He is someone who genuinely makes the experience of being a Hawks fan worse by continual negativity. It bothers me when certain posters don't support the site. If you have more than 10,000 posts on this board and have never donated, then it's likely you're a huge drain on the site. But he's a f***ing shithead, so what should you expect? I shouldn't expect him to donate, but it's not like I won't then go out and call it like it is on this board and shame him.