• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I gotta give credit to Ferry for the Thabo signing

GameTime

• Premium Member

Par for the course as far as Danny Ferry's moves go. Forgotten/underrated/underused team first player who goes about his work with great professionalism and leadership. Hadn't really seen Thabo play much so didn't have much of an opinion on him at the time, but understanding Ferry's criteria for getting FAs, the level of Thabo's play this year is no surprise to me.

Not impressed. He's going to hamstring our ability to resign Millsap and DMC. More worried about them seeing him as a replacement to DMC on the cheap actually.

Say what??? Just eat your crow man.

Thabo is giving us what I expected defense and rebounding for $4 million.

• Premium Member

Say what??? Just eat your crow man.

Thabo is giving us what I expected defense and rebounding for $4 million.

Uh....

.400 from the field

.250 from three

what exactly am I eating here? The taste of being proved right yet again? Mmm...it does taste good.

• Premium Member

Uh....

.400 from the field

.250 from three

what exactly am I eating here? The taste of being proved right yet again? Mmm...it does taste good.

He leads the entire team in rebounding rate, and leads all bench players by a large margin in Win Shares... His offense has been great since his dreadful start too

• Like 3

• Premium Member

He leads the entire team in rebounding rate, and leads all bench players by a large margin in Win Shares... His offense has been great since his dreadful start too

So the only games that count are his good ones? C'mon now. Dude has been a negative on offense. I'm not saying let's bench him or anything but this whole outta nowhere "Thabo is first team All NBA and ppl who said differently are eating crow big time!" schtick is kinda funny. Not saying you are doing that but this is kinda silly. Guy is horrible on offense, ok on defense. What exactly is there to argue about?

Uh....

.400 from the field

.250 from three

If I thought Thabo was signed for his offense I could see your point. What did my post say...Defense and rebounding at the wing...the two areas where the Hawks were severely deficient last season.

• Premium Member

If I thought Thabo was signed for his offense I could see your point. What did my post say...Defense and rebounding at the wing...the two areas where the Hawks were severely deficient last season.

Read my post above yours. Dude is terrible on offense, ok on defense. What exactly are we arguing about here? Or even more to the point "someone eating crow" over?

Since starting October and November going 2-21 on 3s (.09%) Thabo has gone 10-27 (.37%) in December and January.  I'd say he's trending up and that it's no coincidence that it's occurring while the Hawks are playing their best.

To piggy back off that, his last 10 games he's averaging 7 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals and shooting 56% from the floor in only 20 mpg. That's pretty damn good! He's actually outplayed DMC in the last 10 games.  Sure doesn't seem like he's "terrible" on offense to me. It's just taken him a while to get comfortable in this offense and to find his rhythm. The 3pt shooting is no fluke either as he's shot over 40% from 3 in 2 of the last 3 years coming into this season. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Since starting October and November going 2-21 on 3s (.09%) Thabo has gone 10-27 (.37%) in December and January.  I'd say he's trending up and that it's no coincidence that it's occurring while the Hawks are playing their best.

Remember, his bad games never count against him. Only the good ones. Which by the way I hope he has plenty of as long as he's a Hawk. :p

Remember, his bad games never count against him. Only the good ones. Which by the way I hope he has plenty of as long as he's a Hawk. :p

It's not that the bad games don't count its just that the improvement from the start of the season to now is what you would want. Continued improvement as the season progresses.

We are not at the halfway point of the season and his offensive numbers are improving, who can argue with that.

#ThaboTrendingUp

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Thabo is trending up for sure.  That should be expected.  He has never in his career been as bad offensively as he was to start the season so natural regression to the mean was bound to happen.

That said, the guy is pretty terrible on offense.  He always has been.  His peak is as a very low volume solid 3pt shooter.  Hopefully he is on his way to returning to that level because that makes him a 3&D guy off the bench which is very useful overall (primarily due to his defense).  All you should expect from Thabo is for him to hit a few wide open 3's.  If he can do that at a decent % while giving his usual work on D and the boards, I am getting exactly what I expected from him and am happy.

He is not going to be revolutionized by Bud into anyone who is a real offensive threat.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

He takes over games defensively and is our best rebounder on the team thus far. He is also money from the corner 3 and is improving his overall FG% as the season progresses. 

He has been the most valuable FA signing in the NBA IMO. Changed our entire 2nd team defensive identity which allows us to play a full 4 quarters defensively.

Props to Ferry. He saw the fit when most of us didn't.

I can eat crow on this one.  Originally, I didn't hate the Thabo signing, I didn't love it either.   I thought he was another Brand...  A guy who is past his effective age but would do spot work.  However, Thabo is putting in good work.

• Premium Member

Excluding Woody, Joe, Billy, Josh, Marvin, Teague, Millsapp, Salim, Korver, Childress, Solomon Jones, Randolf Morris, Jordan Crawford Larry Drew and Acie Law III I'm never ever ever wrong about anything. 

It's sport man.  Think about how many times these so called experts get it wrong.  Hell I remember people calling Marvin Williams the best prospect in years.

• Like 1

Thabo is trending up for sure.  That should be expected.  He has never in his career been as bad offensively as he was to start the season so natural regression to the mean was bound to happen.

That said, the guy is pretty terrible on offense.  He always has been.  His peak is as a very low volume solid 3pt shooter.  Hopefully he is on his way to returning to that level because that makes him a 3&D guy off the bench which is very useful overall (primarily due to his defense).  All you should expect from Thabo is for him to hit a few wide open 3's.  If he can do that at a decent % while giving his usual work on D and the boards, I am getting exactly what I expected from him and am happy.

He is not going to be revolutionized by Bud into anyone who is a real offensive threat.  

I think Bud will turn him into a better Offensive player than he ever was with the Thunders, Per 36 of course since he gets much less minutes here.

• Premium Member

Thabo is trending up for sure. That should be expected. He has never in his career been as bad offensively as he was to start the season so natural regression to the mean was bound to happen.

That said, the guy is pretty terrible on offense. He always has been. His peak is as a very low volume solid 3pt shooter. Hopefully he is on his way to returning to that level because that makes him a 3&D guy off the bench which is very useful overall (primarily due to his defense). All you should expect from Thabo is for him to hit a few wide open 3's. If he can do that at a decent % while giving his usual work on D and the boards, I am getting exactly what I expected from him and am happy.

Agree with most of this but Thabo has also been pretty good with knowing when to cut to the basket. He has scored some easy baskets and had some nice assists off his slashing. Bud isn't making him a real offensive threat but the offense is allowing him to be a little more than a 3&D.

Thabo is getting comfortable with what we are doing and that is the biggest reason his 3 point % is trending up.

Edited by cam1218