Reselling the Hawks to Atlanta

SalvorMallow

• Moderators

I read this on ESPN and then was not surprised to see someone posted it.  Good read for a peak into the minds of how this team is being marketed.  I am a bit surprised they didn't focus some on the big attendance jump for the team this season with that in mind.  It does get a quick mention but nothing to really drive it home (like pointing out the attendance jump is the largest for any team in the NBA this season, etc.).

• Like 2

I am skeptical about this approach, but we will see.  

To be honest, the same crowd who has enough money to buy the 8 home games for the Falcons, spends that same money to watch 5-8 superstars with their family when that team comes into town to play Atlanta.  That was what I absolutely hated when I had season tickets.  

I agree that if they can spread the cost of a $100 ticket over multiple games, then it would be affordable for more people to come.  The $5 braves "cheap" tickets come to mind..Talk about getting big groups of millennials together for tailgating and then going in to see a "cheap" Hawks game.  That would be something else!

I really like the idea of paying $15-20 and getting seated randomly in the lower bowl.. makes it really cool if you get "great" seats.

I'm done with my rant... I don't agree with all of what Koonin is doing, but he has some great ideas.  

Man i dont know about yall but i have gotten great deals on tickets from stubhub.com in the past couple of years. Like nosebleeds for 5 bucks etc. Price shouldnt be a factor and damnit Marta is safe..

That MARTA crap is from some racist $%*&^ from back in the 80s! It actually makes me feel disgusted by members of my own race! There is nothing wrong with MARTA at all or Phillips Area for that matter. I don't care who I sit with as long as they are into the game. That's what makes going to the games special and better than TV.

Edited by diamond_dave
  • Like 3

the best marketing ?? JUST WIN BABY ! You can market your ass off but if you dont show any inclination to put a winner on the court folks are simply not going to support you.  Thats why we lost the Thrashers . Thats why you could routinely go to a Hawks game and have more fans of the opposing team in the stands.

Winning changes everything - a commitment to win will keep fans in the seats even in an off year.

• Like 3

This was great read and very educational (esp Jimmy Carter). I believe that I am the 'white unicorn', only I'm in Gwinnett. I live and breath Hawks and always have since the early 80's. There are many more that fall into this criteria I'm sure.

Speaking as a White Unicorn, I may be able to shed some light on why I don't go to more games. I have been to less than 10 Hawks games in my life time.

There are a few reasons why, but the racial makeup of the crowd doesn't affect me one way or the other.

I've taken MARTA plenty of times for Falcons games and other events so MARTA isn't an issue for me.

For me, it's more convenient to watch the game on TV. I most likely will have a better view and I can rewind plays if I miss them. On a weekday, its hard to muster up the energy to go to a game after a long mentally taxing day at work. Then get up and go back to work the next day. I do miss the atmosphere of the game though., but I get to relax and unwind.

That doesn't excuse me not going to weekend games though.This is surely making myself reevaluate myself. I owe the Hawks for all that they are doing/done for me by giving them some of my hard earned money. I vow to go to at least five games this season.

You should man.  This team deserves support and has done a ton to earn that support.  I live in Macon and have already been to 7 games this season, myself.  I plan on going to watch us beat down the Wizards this Sunday.

• Premium Member

That MARTA crap is from some racist $%*&^ from back in the 80s! It actually makes me feel disgusted by members of my own race! There is nothing wrong with MARTA at all or Phillips Area for that matter. I don't care who I sit with as long as they are into the game. That's what makes going to the games special and better than TV.

I agree, I've never had any issues with MARTA. I hope that it extends out to Cobb at some point. Those protestors who think it will bring crime out to Cobb are wrong.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I agree, I've never had any issues with MARTA. I hope that it extends out to Cobb at some point. Those protestors who think it will bring crime out to Cobb are wrong.

It's as simple as people not wanting poor people to have access to the neighborhoods. Back when I was riding Marta it annoyed me, now that I'm a home owner I can see both sides.

I'm an Alpharetta Unicorn, although early 40s not mid 50s (Gen X-er). I attend Hawks games. Should I get THEM to pay ME?

• Like 1