• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If we had Coach Bud when Josh Smith was a rookie...

Sothron

• Premium Member

I just have to put something that I thought about a few days ago on the forums.

What could have been different if Coach Bud was here when Josh was a rookie? Would he and the staff been able to instill discipline in him? Would his atrocious shot selection never have happened?

I can't help but wonder what might have been. It is also just as possible that Josh would still have turned into Josh but I don't think it would have happened. I think seeing an entire team dedicated to team basketball would have done wonders for our former Hawk.

• Like 1

He could have been special. Heck, he almost made it there despite having Woodson as his coach during his first years in the league. I think with his passing ability, he could have grown into a defensive stopper, Boris Diaw type player. It's a shame his career has progressed the way it has.

• Premium Member

He was allowed to run wild in ATL and developed too many bad habits early on. Woodson didn't have any structure on the offensive end of the court and that only leads to poor shot selection. With the raw talent that he has, Bud would have made him a much more efficient player if he got to him early. He wasn't terrible as a Hawk by any means but the negatives started to cancel out his positives and he became frustrating to watch.

I have always said that if Bud was coaching the Teague/JJ/marvin/smith/horford that team could have won the championship. I stated over and over again in these forums that coaching was the main issue. The players (especially Marvin, Jeff, and Smith) developed bad habits that the coaching staff didn't do anything about. We have always had talent.

• Like 3

Smith wouldn't have been drafted by Ferry.  from friends I have that are close to the Atlanta AAU scene constantly tell Josh and Dwight were headcases in high school. They bought their own hype and didn't listen to anyone.

Bottom line, Smith would have never survived with Coach Bud.

• Like 2

I just have to put something that I thought about a few days ago on the forums.

What could have been different if Coach Bud was here when Josh was a rookie? Would he and the staff been able to instill discipline in him? Would his atrocious shot selection never have happened?

I can't help but wonder what might have been. It is also just as possible that Josh would still have turned into Josh but I don't think it would have happened. I think seeing an entire team dedicated to team basketball would have done wonders for our former Hawk.

He would still take eight 3 Pointer a game, but would hit 5 of them ;)

• Premium Member

I expected these kind of replies but honestly I've found being unselfish and having unselfish players around you rubs off on even the most pig headed guys. No one wants to be THAT GUY after all. I do think Josh could have been a much better play had Coach Bud been here for his early development.

I expected these kind of replies but honestly I've found being unselfish and having unselfish players around you rubs off on even the most pig headed guys.

Or they just don't fit in and pout and demand to be traded or just get dropped by the team.  I could see that happening.

I just don't see Josh being coachable, especially at a young age.  Even after all of the criticism and poor shooting that he is obviously aware of, he doesn't change his habits.  I'm sure Bud would see this and make a swift move.

As a rookie I don't remember Josh being uncoachable or having authority issues. Remember Bilas said he would be the bust of his class. Bad ownership and coaching enabled bad habits so he had an inflated self worth after awhile.

I think Bud would have been able to groom him into something.