• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DeMarre Carroll: "Hawks didn't make much effort to keep me"

Plainview1981

Some of ya'll need to calm down. Carroll is just stating the facts, not trying to take a dig at Atlanta.

Atlanta offered what they could. Carroll opted for more money from a playoff team he felt would benefit the most from his skill set. That is it. Nothing wrong with this at all.

• Like 1

This is the media looking to make much ado about nothing to get clicks.

-  The Hawks weren't willing to sacrifice Sap to keep DMC.

-   DMC was out to make the one big contract of his career.  

Best wishes to everyone and move on.

I ain't mad. He made 2 million last year which is peanuts compared to his comrades who has produce far less than DMC. Well deserved. Good job to him. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member

He absolutely had to take that deal. He earned it. He deserves it.

But saying the Hawks didn't want him enough is beyond silly. He should be thankful for being a Hawk, our system made him what he is now.

Edited by BrazilianHawk
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

If he wanted he could have got paid 8 figures a year to play for us. Not mad at him for taking more money (which will be taxed more) but its wrong to take a shot at the Hawks like that.

• Moderators

I get the sense that DMC didn't grasp what was going on with Atlanta, and/or his agent wasn't of much help. An offer might indeed have come from Atlanta, either later that day or on July 2, but only after Sap's deal was wrapped up, so the team could figure out what other moves were needed to maximize their offer. The Hawks should have helped make that clear before Masai and Company came to town, and then maybe his camp could have played hardball just a little longer with his suitors. But, as I noted in another thread, Bud and Wes were busy dotting i's of their own on June 30.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I get the sense that DMC didn't grasp what was going on with Atlanta, and/or his agent wasn't of much help. An offer might indeed have come from Atlanta, either later that day or on July 2, but only after Sap's deal was wrapped up, so the team could figure out what other moves were needed to maximize their offer. The Hawks should have helped make that clear before Masai and Company came to town, and then maybe his camp could have played hardball just a little longer with his suitors. But, as I noted in another thread, Bud and Wes were busy dotting i's of their own on June 30.

~lw3

Perhaps DMC decided to move on when he learned the Hawks were working on a deal for Splitter.

I listened to the interview with Carroll today. He said it was all about cap space and Hawks didn't have enough to even make him an offer. He said he never really got an offer from them and the Hawks chose Milsap over him. He knew Hawks couldn't have both.

He said he has no hard feeling against Bud and still considers him a very close friend. He has talked to Milsap throughout Free Agency and Milsap is like his brother.

Toronto came to his house at 10a.m. the first morning of FA and they negotiated the deal at his house. They told him they want him to be a big scorer for them and showed him ways they will run plays for him. He said he never had a play run for him as a Hawk.

He thanked the organization and all the fans and said that he and the Hawks could not have done it without the fans.

• Like 1

I listened to the interview with Carroll today. He said it was all about cap space and Hawks didn't have enough to even make him an offer. He said he never really got an offer from them and the Hawks chose Milsap over him. He knew Hawks couldn't have both.

He said he has no hard feeling against Bud and still considers him a very close friend. He has talked to Milsap throughout Free Agency and Milsap is like his brother.

Toronto came to his house at 10a.m. the first morning of FA and they negotiated the deal at his house. They told him they want him to be a big scorer for them and showed him ways they will run plays for him. He said he never had a play run for him as a Hawk.

He thanked the organization and all the fans and said that he and the Hawks could not have done it without the fans.

I'm a DMC fan, but if Toronto is running plays for him and counting on him to be a big scorer, I don't see that fitting him tbh. Our system was perfect for him and, while I believe he'll be a solid player for them, I don't see him replicating this season ever again.