• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jeff Teague: “I’m dealing with an ankle injury"

GameTime

Jeff Teague had a short answer, with it politely ending an interview, about his play this season.

“I’m dealing with an ankle injury,” the Hawks starting point guard said Sunday. “That’s OK. I’ll be back.”

Teague missed three games in November with a left ankle sprain. He has also turned the ankle several times since returning from that injury, most recently against the Bulls on Jan. 9, but hasn’t missed more than a few minutes each time. Teague has not been listed on the team’s injury report since returning from the missed games Nov. 15-18.

Teague has lacked consistency this season. His statistics are down a year after he made his first All-Star appearance averaging 14.4 points and 5.5 assists this season. The point total is his lowest since he averaged 12.6 points in 2011-12 in his first year as a starter. In making the All-Star Game, and helping the Hawks to a 60-win regular season and a berth in the Eastern Conference finals, Teague averaged 15.9 points and 7.0 assists.

Teague has watched – from the bench – as the Hawks dropped their last two straight games in the closing seconds. He sat for the final 18:49, including all of the fourth quarter, of Thursday’s 91-88 loss to the Kings. He finished with just four points, on 2 of 8 shooting, with four assists and three turnovers. Teague also missed the final 5:34 of Saturday’s 98-95 loss to the Suns. He finished with nine points, on 4 of 13 shooting, with three assists and five turnovers.

In both cases, backup Dennis Schröder has played in place of Teague.

“I’m on the team. I’m here. It’s a team game,” Teague said when asked his reaction to sitting down the stretch. “I’m a competitor. I want to be on the floor. It is what it is.”

Mike Budenholzer said Sunday he does not plan a lineup change. The coach pointed to big deficits the Hawks have found themselves in of late and the play of the bench to get the team back in the games with chances to win.

“We’ve been putting ourselves in some tough spots,” Budenholzer said. “That bench group (including Schröder), with their defense, is digging us out of some holes. Then we have starters out there. We usually have a mix of guys. But (the bench) defense, in general and including at the end of the game, has been good.”

Budenholzer acknowledged that Teague did not have a good game against the Kings. He added that Teague picked up his fifth foul against the Suns with 6:56 remaining.

“I really didn’t want him to foul out,” Budenholzer said. “I think that group was playing well. I went with it. I think defensively we’ve been a little bit better. Dennis has been putting pressure (on opposing players). He and Jeff were both doing it and both working their (butts) off.”

Over the past seven games, Teague is shooting .359 (28 of 78) with 34 assists and 18 turnovers.

Budenholzer said he doesn’t expect Teague’s slump to last long and he can easily return to All-Star form. The Hawks will need Teague at his best as they work to bring consistency to a season of ups and downs.

“He’s had a little spell here where he’s had some good shots that he hasn’t made and some finishing around the paint that I think he and I would like for him to make a few more shots,” Budenholzer said. “It would feel a lot different. He and I would love it if he was clicking a little bit better. At any given moment, he can flip it.”

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/basketball/teague-cites-ankle-injury-as-reason-for-recent-str/nqBft/

2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

That makes a lot of sense ...

He just doesn't seem right out there ... His speed is not there and he has not been penetrating or moving well

he should take some time off to heal ... Let Dennis and Mack handle for a week.

teague at full strength could bring back our all star point guard again

I feel somewhat bad about my last thread now. Honestly I just thought Teague turned back to his old ways but if he's putting it out there on national media that his ankle has slowed him down this season I have no choice but to accept that.

i wonder what took him so long to tell every body....even star players admit when they are injured in today's nba. Also I wonder when korver is going to admit his elbow hasn't healed right after surgery?...I've believed that korver has been injured for months now but he's just keeping quite about it I guess similar to Teague.

however I don't feel korver has to say it to the public like Teague does being that Teague has only had one remarkable full season (all star) and korver has never shot this low of a 3pt percentage in his career.

2 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

Well he'll be resting up during the All Star break I guess

Lest he decides to re-enroll in the Skills Challenge.

37 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Interesting. I still think Bud should bench him just because his performance really affects the team. 

Pop stuck with the ghost of Tony Parker through all of last season despite Corey Joseph coming on and even let him play Eurobasket after quad, hamstring, and ankle injuries.  These coaches tend to be irrationally loyal to their PGs.

• Like 1

I don't doubt that his ankle may be bothering him but it's more than that. He seems aloof, disconnected and disinterested on the floor AND on the bench.  Bum ankle or not you join the huddle.

I don't know what to think about that. Is it a try to find a late excuse?

One thougth was his ankles may hurt more than he wants to admit, but he doesn't want to give Dennis the chance to start some games, because he might think Dennis could use that to take his job. He wouldn't be the first player to lose his job during an injury.

If he'd had some problems and Bud would give him rest when he needs it while starting him (what now seems to be the official version) and if he'd believe he will be all right in near future there would no reason for not joining the huddel and looking that lost in the bench.

When he sits there on the bench lonely, he looks like "Damm he takes my job anyway"

Edited by rd79
f*** that auto correction

25 minutes ago, rd79 said:

I don't know what to think about that. Is it a try to find a late excuse?

One thougth was his ankles may hurt more than he wants to admit, but he doesn't want to give Dennis the chance to start some games, because he might think Dennis could use that to take his job. He wouldn't be the first player to lose his job during an injury.

Having paid attention to Jeffy in his 7 years in Atlanta, I doubt he is worried about losing his starting position. Hell, there were times last season where Jeffy told Bud to keep Dennis in the games at the end even after Bud called for Jeffy to enter the game. So to say Jeffy is worried about losing his starting job is not really consistent with the Jeffy I know.

It is by far more likely that Jeffy is simply stubborn as hell about resting. I also doubt he is using this as an excuse, Jeffy has a bit of the Joe Johnson type personality where he doesn't want to talk to the media or admit he is injured. If anything, I would imagine that this becoming news from Bud or Garin Narain as a way to quell the dumbass blog rumors surrounding a trade of Teague (or his poor play). I'd be surprised if Jeffy paid any attention to news/rumors unless it somehow involved the WWE.

Just my two cents on this issue though.

• Premium Member

Jeff isn't making excuses,  I saw him roll his ankle(s) at least twice that I can remember this season.  They were pretty bad rolls too.  Yet, he hasn't taken any games off to rest/heal. I think it's hurting his game since he depends on speed and quickness. No matter what some might think of Teague, you have to know that he's a much better player than what he's shown recently. When healthy, he's by far the best PG on this team, and it isn't even close.

• Like 1

Well, but Bud surely asked him if anything is wrong or why the hell he is playing the way he is...

Do you really think a coach would let a player play through an injury like this? That is a tough decision if the player in question is actually playing good, but definitely not if the player is obviously struggling.

Maybe you guys on the other side of the atlantic handle such things differently, but in european soccer something like that would be hilarious.

All of that makes it hard for me to believe that his ankles are the (sole) reason.

Edited by Ekyo

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, JTB said:

I feel somewhat bad about my last thread now. Honestly I just thought Teague turned back to his old ways but if he's putting it out there on national media that his ankle has slowed him down this season I have no choice but to accept that.

i wonder what took him so long to tell every body....even star players admit when they are injured in today's nba. Also I wonder when korver is going to admit his elbow hasn't healed right after surgery?...I've believed that korver has been injured for months now but he's just keeping quite about it I guess similar to Teague.

however I don't feel korver has to say it to the public like Teague does being that Teague has only had one remarkable full season (all star) and korver has never shot this low of a 3pt percentage in his career.

The only reason I can think why he didn't say it publicly is he didn't want teams to play him differently.....which the Sun's did. The sad thing is Teague is shooting 3's at a career high, but teams still don't respect it. His pump fakes are also not effective as they once was.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't doubt that his ankle may be bothering him but it's more than that. He seems aloof, disconnected and disinterested on the floor AND on the bench.  Bum ankle or not you join the huddle.

I agree. Didn't he have this injury last year also? It's starting to seem like it might become a huge problem at anytime.

They should ship him off if they get anything resembling a decent offer.

3 hours ago, hawkman said:

Jeff isn't making excuses,  I saw him roll his ankle(s) at least twice that I can remember this season.  They were pretty bad rolls too.  Yet, he hasn't taken any games off to rest/heal. I think it's hurting his game since he depends on speed and quickness. No matter what some might think of Teague, you have to know that he's a much better player than what he's shown recently. When healthy, he's by far the best PG on this team, and it isn't even close.

I agree with all but the last part. It's getting close. Real close.

• Like 1