• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With Whiz, Jeff! Ask for One With Whiz!

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

This team really wants to go through another season with Korver as a starter when they know it's going to fail in the playoffs if they still have a goal of going there=SIGH! Save me the takes about analytics.

Lurker the knee Jerker is back.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

There is no need to get rid of either Sap or Al in a Teague/Noel trade occurs.

I haven't checked but I think Philly has capspace  and can absorb Jeff's salary if nothing else is added but like the report says it's  'a package'. If it's  a straight up deal we've gained $4.5 mil in capspace.

What this deal does is improve our big man rotation. Al still starts at C with Millsap at PF.  When Noel comes in he can either sub for Al or Millsap. Now the options to move or keep Splitter becomes easier. We can have a rotation of: 

Al and Sap

Noel or Splitter and Horford

Noel or Splitter and Sap.

It's about options.

We get better by adding pieces.

The Millsap trade doesn't make sense unless a freat scorer  at another position is involved. Especially after trading Teague since Noel really isn't a scorer.

Makes no sense.   We did the same thing with Splitter last year.  Makes more sense if Noel is going to be our starting Big and we get even more capspace by renouncing Al's 18 Million dollar caphold and going after a superstar to play alongside of Sap and Dennis.   Al gave us numbers just above that of Baze... and he wants 100 Million + and or 5 years?  Please.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NekiEcko said:

But this trade can open up so many options

You can keep Al, have him mentor Noel and then next year, he can finally slide down to PF. 

Also you can put Paul on the market (who has a better chance to get you more assets) or have him come off the bench (I know that is stupid but he would be more fresh down the stretch)

So many options right now.

Why give up the better player (Sap) and Pay the lesser player 20+ over the next 5 years??

Sap is a great 2 way player at the 4 and he's a stretch 4 (naturally).   He can play in the post and in the midrange.   Horf hasn't played post basketball in a few years.  He's had 2 Pec tears and he's looking for a big payday.  A contract is not about what you did in the past, it's about what you can do in the future.   Who wants to pay Al for the next 5 years if we see him declining now... while Paul is seemingly getting better year by year.

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Makes no sense.   We did the same thing with Splitter last year.  Makes more sense if Noel is going to be our starting Big and we get even more capspace by renouncing Al's 18 Million dollar caphold and going after a superstar to play alongside of Sap and Dennis.   Al gave us numbers just above that of Baze... and he wants 100 Million + and or 5 years?  Please.

The only Superstar available is Durant and he's not coming here.

Batum is staying in Charlotte. 

Barnes, Fournier, Beal are the next free agents at $23 mil, more than Al's caphold.

Splitter when healthy subbed in for Al in the early 1st quarter, meanwhile Al played with the bench. The same applies here.

rebounds. REBOUNDS. REBOUNDS. REBOUNDS!

We need more rebounding and I think Noel would definitely be a huge help in that department. I am tired of watching Tristan Thompson hold Al to a combined 15 rebounds over four games. Defense and Rebounding? Lock this trade up! If we give Al a max contract by any measure, we have only set ourselves up for disappointment once again for the next 5 years.

Edited by hawkrule152
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The only Superstar available is Durant and he's not coming here.

Batum is staying in Charlotte. 

Barnes, Fournier, Beal are the next free agents at $23 mil, more than Al's caphold.

Splitter when healthy subbed in for Al in the early 1st quarter, meanwhile Al played with the bench. The same applies here.

Wait a minute.  Al's caphold is 18.. you're right.   However, we will also have Hinrich.. We will also have about 8.    All and All that's a start of 31 if we maintain Baze's caphold.   Help me if I'm wrong.   Patterson and Moose is two More.. So that's 33 without having touched Baze.

So...

33 can get us a look at Durant, but I doubt he comes.

33 can definitely net us Barnes.

If the plan is to build a team around Barnes, why not start with pieces like:  Dennis, Sap, and Noel.  I'm sure we can appeal to Barnes' need to be "the man" and to his proximity.... closer to home.

We get Barnes at 23.. that leaves 10.. we can get Baze with about 11 -12 and we still a few million more.

• Premium Member

I'd rather keep Millsap than Horford. I have Horford as my signature and I still can't believe how many here don't see how much Al has changed since that second pec tear. I'd rather have Noel/Millsap than Horford/Millsap.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'd rather keep Millsap than Horford. I have Horford as my signature and I still can't believe how many here don't see how much Al has changed since that second pec tear. I'd rather have Noel/Millsap than Horford/Millsap.

How Sway?

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Sixers beat writer saying Stauskas and Covington in the deal too.

For anyone questioning this deal at this point....let me see if I can explain the financial aspect of it.

Teague = $8,000,000 salary in 2016/17.

Lost Vet min (roster spot) = $543,471

Lost Vent min (roster spot) = $543,471

Noel = $4,384,490

Staukas = $2,993,040

Covington = $1,015,696

For the purposes of the $$$ value of this trade....pretrade for the 3 spots in question, Atlanta was using 9,086,942 of cap room. Philly is trading us $8,393,226.  At a bare minimum, Atlanta would be acquiring 3 young players all under the age of 25 (22,22,25) for a player aged 27 and a history of ankle issues. The 3 players are under contract for 2,3,2 more years and Atlanta is saving at bare minimum $693,716 in the Salary cap.

However, this doesn't tell the whole story. Covington is not a rotational player but could serve as an end of the bench guy for cheap. Staukas is an up and coming serviceable shooting guard. He shoots a decent percentage from 3 and is a better than average ball handler at the position. He is a good future replacement for Korver and projects as a backup to Baze (if back). Noel can play both the 4 and 5 and gives the Hawks great flexibility in the development of Tavares.  Long term, Noel would play the 4 and Edy the 5 at times giving Atlanta a huge defensive lineup.

Depending on how Atlanta wants to go, this move frees up Atlanta to make a run at several players.

1. Washington is rumored to be willing to drop Bradley Beal in order to acquire  Kevin Durant. This is a possibility and with Atlanta's cap situation, Beal could be available.

2. Evan Turner - With Boston in on the Al Horford /Hassan Whiteside sweepstakes....Turner will be able to get more money elsewhere.

3. Durant - a long shot but Durant/Millsap/Noel is a scary front court. Durant is signed easily with Al's 12 million of the books.

4. Hassan Whiteside - Another scary lineup featuring Noel/Whiteside on the court together.

5. Dwight Howard - He's wearing out his welcome in the league and would be welcome at the right price.

and many others.

The Teague deal frees up both money and roster slots that allow Atlanta to give up on certain rostered players (see Mike Scott legal issues this summer) to free up more money and go after a solid free agent. The Teague deal isn't about Teague for Noel...its about Noel + players that allow Atlanta to drop other players with higher salaries...namely Korver, Scott, Hinrich,  Sefalosha. 

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Even if the stats back you up (they probably will) I don't see it that way. I think he's on a better team, but individually I believe his game has regressed.

Millstat always put up stats in Utah, Horford always put up Ws. How is he better. Horford covers his ass on defense, does all the things that makes our offense run and is our defensive communicator on defense. How Sway?

Edited by NBASupes

The end of day, this is a talented big in Noel, an good contract average NBA player in Covington and Stauskas has some talent. Overall, it's the value we need back if we traded Jeff. 

I am not sold on Covington. He's a 7th to 8th man right now and I am not sold on his potential either.  Bazemore is much better talent wise but 13-15 million compared to 1 million is a huge difference

8 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Know how I know you aren't from Pennsylvania?

(Hint: whiz is for tourist, strap hanging rubes)

Shots fired!  Shots fired!

(lw3 actually is from Philly so it was probably a joke?)

NBA teams can begin trading as soon as THEIR season is over. We need to pull the trigger on this deal right now before it's gone. Noel+ Nik or Cov or both, I don't care just pull it. I don't think we get a better deal than this. I love Teague and think he has great value, but the rest of the NBA prolly doesn't see it like that. PULL IT NOW!!! That way we can know what we need on draft night and pull more deals.

BTW @kg01 go back to bed. Lol

• Moderators

I'll just note that Keith Pompey at the Inky is reporting that it's "and/or", and opposed to just "and", pertaining to Sauce and RoCo.

Sixers shooting guard Nik Stauskas and/or small forward Robert Covington could be included in the deal, according to a source.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Could-Noel-and-possibly-Stauskas-Covington-be-Hawks-bound-.html#biEcWc1sIyaMDyh1.99

Also, a CBA Q: Covington's on a team option, so how soon after the NBA Finals ends could Philly pick up that option? Immediately? If it's the onset of the July moratorium, then a deal including him might not happen before the Draft. I was reading CBAFAQ about how the (receiving?) team and the player could agree to mutually waive the option so he could become a UFA post-trade, but reading the details are giving me brain freeze this morning.

Of course, while Philly's rag is breathlessly confirming Sham's reporting, the paper that Covers Dixie Like the Dew is likely to stay mum about the rumors.

~lw3