• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wilcox and Bud are not cut out to be a GM/President

NBASupes

I can honestly say I know NOTHING about these draft picks. 

We needed size,athleticism,someone who can handle the ball, defend, rebound from the 2 wing spots. From what I've read we got that.

I'll  leave the debate about draft slot etc to the  'squawksperts'

50 minutes ago, AHF said:

When you reach, you have to nail that pick.

I agree with you and like Bilas opinion too.... the draft does not really start until the late lottery. 

If you get yourself a starter its nailed and I think if you ask any GM out there, the hope is for a starter with every 1st round pick.

Edited by Buzzard

51 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I like what we did. We are a consistent playoff team and picked two good wing players that can contribute in different ways right from the start. Prince is a big bodied 3 and D player and Bembry is a athletic slasher with great handles and passing skills.  Both are solid rebounders for their positions and rebounding is the one thing that almost always translates to the NBA. Prince averaged 6 boards a game and Bembry averaged 7.8 boards a game. 

What I love the most is I think with Bembry's handles and passing skills he can give us some quality SG minutes; and they can both be on the floor at the same time.  Korver is getting older; Bazemore is not a great defender when faced up against bigger players. We needed wing help, we got wing help!

I honestly think Bud wanted to move up to get Winslow or Booker last season and he could not get it done. He was not about to miss out on the Wings he likes in this years draft.

We had us a Wingfest tonight; lets try and enjoy it!

The big issue is Bembry is a year or two away. Prince while ready to play right now, isn't ready to start in the NBA for a playoff team. I think Kyle and Thabo are going to start unless we get a SG.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

The big issue is Bembry is a year or two away. Prince while ready to play right now, isn't ready to start in the NBA for a playoff team. I think Kyle and Thabo are going to start unless we get a SG.

Winslow only started eight games for Miami and Booker started 51 for Phoenix. Most fans here  would have been ecstatic if we would have gotten either one. I  have no problem if they don't start right away; most rookies don't who go to playoff teams.

I do think both will at a minimum be contributing nicely by the half way point of the season. I like them both a lot for what they bring to the table from both a talent and physical standpoint.

My question now is with free agency. Does this allow us to worry less about Bazemore and Horford walking and possibly signing a max free agent instead?

I do think we will resign Horford if he lets us. If Baze gets a big offer like Carroll did, I can definetely see us letting him walk a whole lot easier now.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Drafting partially on character is a good way to trash your NBA franchise, and this is what the first two picks are.

Yea, that's really done in the Spurs who focus on drafting character guys that fit in with their culture... (which was one of the main reason Kawhi Leonard, who was not high on draft boards, was brought in. )

What a blue-print for catastrophic failure we are following.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

What's hilarious is that the same exact people that were saying "Paul Millsap! wtf" "Kyle Korver... terrible signing!" "Thabo? pointless move". Are the same exact ones saying, "bring Ferry back! Bud is clueless!!"

Bud has had exactly one full offseason of building the team... a little premature to be passing judgment on his ability to build a team IMO, but what do I know. 

• Like 2

I'm kinda  surprised with the hate on on the Squawk,  I saw Taurean  Prince and Bembrey thrown out on this  board alot as a desired players at 21. Prince was the third player on my want list for the Hawks after Malik Beasley  and Caris Levert. 

Bottom line is don't get your panties in a wad  about the Mocks because this may of been their worse year ever. 100% of mock  drafts had Levert in the middle of the second round and Beasley  at the back of the first. I told you we  would be lucky if they made it to pick 21 and neither did. You let these Mocks convince you that Henry Elleson, DeAndre Davis, Labiserre, Forkmaz, Timothy Lu(whatever) were going in the lottery. 

I probably would have taken Beasley  at 12 and hoped Prince fail to 21 with Bembry as a backup , but make no mistake about it we are better because we added  to versatile  wing defenders that rebound and have potential as scorers. If your going to play  the hedging switching d we play  with our bigs than you need wings  that can rebound. See Golden State. 

If you want to be angry about something it should be about what we got for Teague. I see Ibaka and Teague as similarly valued players and Sam Presti  got  3 times as much as we got for Teague. Think about how much better we could have been with that Orlando deal. Unfortunately  they don't need a PG and we're  not smart enough to pillage  Orlando like OKC did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yea, that's really done in the Spurs who focus on drafting character guys that fit in with their culture... (which was one of the main reason Kawhi Leonard, who was not high on draft boards, was brought in. )

What a blue-print for catastrophic failure we are following.

I think one of the writers from the AJC say that if I remember that Spurs looks for players that can fit within their culture.  Sure, it is not the sexy picks that every coach potato GM would like but decent picks that help out in one way or another.  This is how we built talent around here because we got a great University for them to learn from.  Think about all of the improvements that all of the players got since they came to this system from Korver becoming a Gravity Monster to Millsap, who is a swiss army knife.  Trust the System.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

I think one of the writers from the AJC say that if I remember that Spurs looks for players that can fit within their culture.  Sure, it is not the sexy picks that every coach potato GM would like but decent picks that help out in one way or another.  This is how we built talent around here because we got a great University for them to learn from.  Think about all of the improvements that all of the players got since they came to this system from Korver becoming a Gravity Monster to Millsap, who is a swiss army knife.  Trust the System.

Good points. Think we will get a lot from Prince and hopefully for a long time. Work on that three.

8 hours ago, NekiEcko said:

The Spurs were successful as they were not just because of character but because they also had elite HoF talent to build with. 

Without that level of talent, we aren't going to have that same level of success that they have. The system is helpful and a big part of the pizza. Maybe it's the crust. A nice solid supportive base but the toppings can be the difference between a delicious mouth-gasm, and an over glorified cracker (or bread depending on how thick you like your crust). 

And yes.. I am hungry. Lol

4 minutes ago, Mdizzle5 said:

The Spurs were successful as they were not just because of character but because they also had elite HoF talent to build with. 

Without that level of talent, we aren't going to have that same level of success that they have. The system is helpful and a big part of the pizza. Maybe it's the crust. A nice solid supportive base but the toppings can be the difference between a delicious mouth-gasm, and an over glorified cracker (or bread depending on how thick you like your crust). 

And yes.. I am hungry. Lol

Honestly, the only legit HOF was Tim Duncan. Leonard wasn't no HOF as a prospect, nor was Tony and Manu. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...