• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does this mean Goodbye Baze?

Diesel

• Moderators

There better be more coming.   When you have Tim Duncan and parker/gino you can hang on to your team year after year.   We don't have that.    At what point does the organization realize that fans would rather have the hope of something fresh and new than decent consistency.     Role players.   That's all we have.   I was ok with trading Teague if it brought in more talent but we just flipped Teague for a guy who in 3 years MIGHT turn into DMC.   WTF???   We are seeing team talent go in a negative direction.   Now maybe there is more to come and I'll gladly eat crow if there is.   But if our offseason is flipping Teague for an average talent draft pick and resigning Baze and Al then I'm speechless.

I mean we should learn what we need from that one game we beat the Cavs in the playoffs the last two years.   Oh wait,  we never won a game.     We aren't the thunder that was one bucket from the finals 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd be disappointed if that's the case - really disappointed.

I've been crunching the nimbers (disclaimer: these are all approximations):

After adding our rookies and guaranteed contracts we are at $48 million in total guarantees.

Adding Al's caphold of $18 million (I've resigned myself to the fact he will be back) that brings us to $66 million, so our capspace is at $28 million (I didn't include things like incomplete roster charges etc).

So how do we best use that $28 million?  Do we pick up the options of Scott ($3.3 mil) and  Moose ($1 mil)?  that leaves $24 mil.

So what do we do with $24 million???

However......................

I'm getting nervous because when I look really closely.....If we use capspace to resign Al at $27 million, pick up the options for Scott and Moose that leaves us with $14 million in capsapce for.............................gulp...............................Bazemore.  

That way the Hawks stay right at the $94 million cap.  Using the LLE to bring back Humphries and a backup PG.

I hope I'm dead  ass wrong.

BOO THIS PLAN!!
3143508_o.gif

I hope we resign Al but not Baze. We just got 2 wings, and I think Baze is easily replaceable. Don't waste any FA money on a backup point guard, they all suck. We need to get a backup pg through trade. Now is the time I wouldn't mind trading for a Jarrett Jack type, but we need a vet backup pg like him because Dennis is so young. We can't have 2 young a$$ point guards, it won't work.

As for our big free agent signing, I'd obviously make a pitch to Durant, when that fails I'd go hard after Joakim Noah. I don't believe he is done in any way, he just hates the Bulls management and I don't blame him. He gives his heart every night and reuniting him and Al is the best thing to do in my opinion.

Dennis/Jack

Kyle/ THJ

Sap/Prince/Bembry

Horford/Scott

Noah/Hump/Tavares

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

I hope we resign Al but not Baze. We just got 2 wings, and I think Baze is easily replaceable. Don't waste any FA money on a backup point guard, they all suck. We need to get a backup pg through trade. Now is the time I wouldn't mind trading for a Jarrett Jack type, but we need a vet backup pg like him because Dennis is so young. We can't have 2 young a$$ point guards, it won't work.

As for our big free agent signing, I'd obviously make a pitch to Durant, when that fails I'd go hard after Joakim Noah. I don't believe he is done in any way, he just hates the Bulls management and I don't blame him. He gives his heart every night and reuniting him and Al is the best thing to do in my opinion.

Dennis/Jack

Kyle/ THJ

Sap/Prince/Bembry

Horford/Scott

Noah/Hump/Tavares

Jack is coming off achilles surgery and 33 years.  I hope we can do better.

• Moderators

I know it was just a rumor but I'm now haunted by this:

012615_blog06.jpg

3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Dennis/Jack

Kyle/ THJ

Sap/Prince/Bembry

Horford/Scott

Noah/Hump/Tavares

I think this is a great plan, but man what are we doing here.   This would be a solid group but look at that lineup.   It's worse at nearly every position than the Cavs, Thunder, Warriors...spurs, clips, raps, .     But you're right.  As far as what is feasible for us as a second class team this would be a solid group.

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Jack is coming off achilles surgery and 33 years.  I hope we can do better.

I agree but take a look at the available FA point guards this year. They all suck. Our best option is through trade. 

FA point guards:

Conley

Rondo

Lin

Deron Williams

Brandon Jennings

Lawson

Delly

Felton

Chalmers

Foye

Augustin

Galloway

Mo Williams

Outside from Conley, they all SUCK. We need a BU point guard through trade. And a VET to help Dennis.

10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I know it was just a rumor but I'm now haunted by this:

012615_blog06.jpg

I think this is a great plan, but man what are we doing here.   This would be a solid group but look at that lineup.   It's worse at nearly every position than the Cavs, Thunder, Warriors...spurs, clips, raps, .     But you're right.  As far as what is feasible for us as a second class team this would be a solid group.

I agree it sucks. But I don't think we can catch up to the Cavs, Warriors, Thunder or Spurs overnight. Sadly, we have to crawl back if we want to compete. It's either that or a complete rebuild which Bud will never ever do and that's fine because I'd prolly rather make the playoffs every year than be where we were 2000-2008. Those we some crappy dark years.

Trust me, I'm not a huge fan of putting SAP at small forward, just trying to come up with the most talented group we can possible get now, post Teague and draft. Sometimes as a Hawks fan, you have to be wildly imaginative. That's where Kindergarten paid off ..lol

We needed wings.  Budcox went out and got us some young athletic wings who can defend, and in the case of Prince, shoot the 3.

Teague in the final year of his deal was not going to fetch a significant talent by himself.

Thabo is aging.  Korver is aging.  And with Teague gone, we'll get to see if Dennis can take his hame to the next level.

So what's the problem?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

There better be more coming.   When you have Tim Duncan and parker/gino you can hang on to your team year after year.   We don't have that.    At what point does the organization realize that fans would rather have the hope of something fresh and new than decent consistency.     Role players.   That's all we have.   I was ok with trading Teague if it brought in more talent but we just flipped Teague for a guy who in 3 years MIGHT turn into DMC.   WTF???   We are seeing team talent go in a negative direction.   Now maybe there is more to come and I'll gladly eat crow if there is.   But if our offseason is flipping Teague for an average talent draft pick and resigning Baze and Al then I'm speechless.

I mean we should learn what we need from that one game we beat the Cavs in the playoffs the last two years.   Oh wait,  we never won a game.     We aren't the thunder that was one bucket from the finals 

QFT and one to grow on, kids. And the 'Teague is in the final year of his deal so we could only get so much' theory was blown to bits when Orlando sent everything short of a lung over to OKC for one year of Serge Ibaka. They'd better be doing more than bringing back the ole band with resigning Bazemore and maxing out Horford. It stopped being about just making the playoffs a long time ago with me. Do they have what it takes to compete with Cleveland, much less beat them in a series? That should be the top priority now...

Edited by Dejay

22 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We needed wings.  Budcox went out and got us some young athletic wings who can defend, and in the case of Prince, shoot the 3.

Teague in the final year of his deal was not going to fetch a significant talent by himself.

Thabo is aging.  Korver is aging.  And with Teague gone, we'll get to see if Dennis can take his hame to the next level.

So what's the problem?

Dang I totally forgot Thabo in my rotation...what's wrong with me? :-( I love Thabo he's like one of my fav players. It's like forgetting one of your kids at home and going on vacation. #homealone

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

011616_kent.jpg

In last night's draft we picked up 2 Sfs.  Now I know Bud has been about as good as Woody in terms of letting Rooks play.  However, when you look at our roster, what choice do we have?

As I stand back and count.. we have:

Prince, Bembry, Korver, Thabo, THJr, and Patterson all manning the 2 and 3 positions.   If there are no trades to come, can we justify resigning Baze and making it 7 guys between the 2 and 3?

What do you think?

Yeah, it's ATL's best bet. IMO, he's the best realistic FA SF target. LeBron isn't leaving. KD, Parsons, Batum aren't going to sign with the Hawks which leaves with you Baze unless KD goes to GS and ATL offers Barnes the max (which I wouldn't want to see).

Hopefully, NO and BK doesn't offer Baze a big offer and hopefully Hardaway really picks Korver's brain. He should be a starter for the 2017-18 season.

LOVE Baze's story, but he can GO. He's an average player at best and not worth what he'll likely get.

Bembry won't be an NBA small forward FTR. 6'6" is too small for me at small forward and hopefully the Hawks have learned their lesson and are planning to start small forwards that are 6'7"+ again.

Edited by Lurker

• Premium Member
Just now, Lurker said:

LOVE Baze's story, but he can GO. He's an average player at best and not worth what he'll likely get.

Bembry won't be an NBA small forward FTR.

Bembry Can't SHOOT.

He's Josh Childress with no 3 pt shot.

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Bembry Can't SHOOT.

He's Josh Childress with no 3 pt shot.

6 foot 6 (or even less than that) shouldn't start at small forward for the Hawks ever again unless they get a true center.

And wait and see if the Hawks can fix his shot. Give it a year before declaring his shot totally hopeless. Carroll didn't gain a perimeter game until going to 'Hawks University'.

Edited by Lurker

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Lurker said:

6 foot 6 (or even less than that) shouldn't start at small forward for the Hawks ever again unless they get a true center.

And wait and see if the Hawks can fix his shot. Give it a year before declaring his shot totally hopeless. Carroll didn't gain a perimeter game until going to 'Hawks University'.

Mechanics is everything.   He's Josh Childress with no 3 pt shot. 

Just now, Diesel said:

Mechanics is everything.   He's Josh Childress with no 3 pt shot.

People actually say his shot mechanics are fine. It's even said that his 15 foot and in jumper was very good.

It's also said he had to put up a lot of prayers due to being the main piece of the offense.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dejay said:

QFT and one to grow on, kids. And the 'Teague is in the final year of his deal so we could only get so much' theory was blown to bits when Orlando sent everything short of a lung over to OKC for one year of Serge Ibaka. They'd better be doing more than bringing back the ole band with resigning Bazemore and maxing out Horford. It stopped being about just making the playoffs a long time ago with me. Do they have what it takes to compete with Cleveland, much less beat them in a series? That should be the top priority now...

No it wasn't. 

Remember, we shopped Teague at the deadline and shopped him this offseason.  This was the best we could get and even in this deal Quinn said to Budcox, "Eh, I don't know if we'd give up the 12th for Teague but we can get Indy to flip that George Hill kid then we've got a deal."  Teague didn't have a lot of value.

• Like 1