• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Remember when CP3 and Dwight wanted to play together?

GameTime

8 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

No offense, but Paul is on the downslope of his career, and Schröder is about to emerge as a star this year. No thanks.

If Dennis progresses the way we all think he will I completely agree..... Just saying if he doesn't this is a possible win-now option since our stars (D8 and Sap) are in their 30s.

Chris Paul is still arguably a top 5 player in this league. 

Edited by GameTime
  • Like 1

Thread title fail.  It's CP2 til he reaches the conference finals.

IIRC, the only 2 WC teams that haven't made it to the WCF the last however many years are the Paul-led Hornets and the Paul-led Clippers.

Also O-Rando Woolridge is right.  Paul is on the way down.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

IIRC, the only 2 WC teams that haven't made it to the WCF the last however many years are the Paul-led Hornets and the Paul-led Clippers.

It's no coincidence.  His skills and heart are second to none but I just couldn't have him starting on my squad.  In today's NBA he's just too short to defend ball movement and outside shots.  On the flipside, most good playoff teams have been wildly successful trapping his PNR with length.  If he's running your second unit they'll probably outscore their opponents by 10 every night.  As a 32+ minute starter, good teams exploit his lack of length and temper too easily late in games.

Its amazing he's still a no-brainer Hall of Famer after the injuries ravaged him.  He dunked 11 times as a rookie.  11 times in the past 4 seasons.  You see Tony Parker can barely drive and finish anymore.  He's now painfully average even with the league's best system propping him up.  The Hawks' window is now while Dennis is living in the paint with a majority of his shots coming within 3 feet.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GameTime said:

Well Dwight is here...... and CP3 a FA next year...

All this hinges on the play of Dennis of course, but it very well is a possibility next year...

I was just thinking about the same thing today... I'm sure CP3 is going to be chasing rings next year so I think we could be a real possibility, considering GS has Curry and Cavs have Kyrie. But yeah, I'm also hoping Dennis will take over. 

Hmm, Dwight claimed Grant Hill helped to recruit him, maybe he works that magic on former teammates Paul and Griffin.

"come to ATL, we can rebuild you.  We have the system.  We can make you better than you were.  Better, stronger, faster"

8 hours ago, GameTime said:

If Dennis progresses the way we all think he will I completely agree..... Just saying if he doesn't this is a possible win-now option since our stars (D8 and Sap) are in their 30s.

Chris Paul is still arguably a top 5 player in this league. 

No...not even a top 5 point guard in my opinion much less overall. Sadly, cp might have troubling helping his team get past round 1 let alone the conference finals. 

18 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

He wants to play with Lebron and Melo

I can see Melo being traded to the Clippers by the deadline if NY and LA are struggling at the time. 

But it my initial thought was...

image.png

Edited by Spud2Nique

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I'd much rather keep the younger player in Dennis who has the potential to be on CP3's level.

I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss the notion of having both?  If Dennis doesn't step up this year, we can still resign him at a low rate but then bring in CP3 and allow Dennis to learn from him.   Dennis is still young.  At 23, I don't see it being a problem having him split time on a championship team with CP3.  

Just catch this scene...

CP3, Baze, Millsap, and Howard.   First team.

Dennis, Bembry, Scott and Edy ..  Reserves. 

When we talk about having talent like the warriors, we don't pass up a star player... especially if he wants to play here. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss the notion of having both?  If Dennis doesn't step up this year, we can still resign him at a low rate but then bring in CP3 and allow Dennis to learn from him.   Dennis is still young.  At 23, I don't see it being a problem having him split time on a championship team with CP3.  

Just catch this scene...

CP3, Baze, Millsap, and Howard.   First team.

Dennis, Bembry, Scott and Edy ..  Reserves. 

When we talk about having talent like the warriors, we don't pass up a star player... especially if he wants to play here. 

This impassioned plea is probably the best argument I've seen for the idea.  The only problem is CP2's attitude.  What if Dennis is the best option to start at some point after acquiring Paul?  He doesn't appear to be the type to come off the bench for the good of the team.  Who do you think he is, Cliff Paul?  State Farm don't pay the big bux for a pine-rider.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This impassioned plea is probably the best argument I've seen for the idea.  The only problem is CP2's attitude.  What if Dennis is the best option to start at some point after acquiring Paul?  He doesn't appear to be the type to come off the bench for the good of the team.  Who do you think he is, Cliff Paul?  State Farm don't pay the big bux for a pine-rider.

Let's not be fooled.   CP3 is not naive.  He should realize that his next contract is probably his last.  This coming together of a "super team" is about getting a ring.   It's like Jason Kidd in his latter days.  He went to Dallas.  He wasn't the star that he had always been, but he was focused on getting a ring. 

I think it's important to not get ahead of ourselves.  

This season in general and Dwight in particular has to have success - exceed the 'experts' expectations for any thought of the big guns coming to Atlanta to form a 'superteam'

37 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Let's not be fooled.   CP3 is not naive.  He should realize that his next contract is probably his last.  This coming together of a "super team" is about getting a ring.   It's like Jason Kidd in his latter days.  He went to Dallas.  He wasn't the star that he had always been, but he was focused on getting a ring. 

Kidd was still running the show in DAL though.

30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This season in general and Dwight in particular has to have success - exceed the 'experts' expectations for any thought of the big guns coming to Atlanta to form a 'superteam'

Boooo!  Git that rational talk outta here.  Go 'on, git!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You obviously didn't see Dwight and Baze crying at the press conference.   Success is guaranteed!

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, kg01 said:

Thread title fail.  It's CP2 til he reaches the conference finals.

Also O-Rando Woolridge is right.  Paul is on the way down.

Just have to point out that the however many years you have to use to say that the only teams that haven't made it into the confereence finals are Paul's teams means you have to include years before Paul was even in the league.  It is a fun but not that meaningful stat.