Hawks GM Wes Wilcox (The Vertical Podcast)

marco102

Very interesting listen...

Highlights:

1. Discusses Dwight 

2. Internal discussions regarding the direction to take after losing in another sweep to Cleveland

3. Draft picks - hits and misses, talks about Prince, Bembry and Cordinier

4. Teague trade - ultimately cam down to having 2 guys that needed minutes

5. Dennis being viewed as a starter since last season, but playing them both starter minutes was a struggle - both suffered because of it.

6. Negotiation with Al - reluctant to go into detail - prefer to keep it private.

7. Still looking at getting a D-League team

Great listen. I love the way Wilcox sounds. Obviously he's a very intelligent guy who has crazy scouting experience. Honestly though I think he's into the metrics and numbers game too much. Not saying in any way that is bad, just saying I wish we had a GM that was into other aspects of team building and somebody a bit older with more recognition around the league. 

56 minutes ago, Sothron said:

We signed a star name. Despite what Supes will say about Dwight is still a big name draw. Horford never was and never will be.

I agree but Horford is now considered a star by the media because he's in Boston. But with us, he'd never be considered a star.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Horford really isn't. If Boston traded him to Milwaukee the attention would be gone tomorrow.  Everyone in Boston gets the spotlight because Boston is a media spotlight and so much of the media (including ESPN) is based in new england.  Heck, Isaiah Thomas gets lots of attention in Boston and we all know he is best utilized as a 6th man.

He's a star to me. He will now get the respect he deserves. 

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's a star to me. He will now get the respect he deserves. 

Lol, really?  Dude got nothing but respect in his time here from the fans.  The casual ATL fan loved Al.

I can't think of one Hawks player that was thrown under the bus less (besides Sap) in his time here.  Even when I felt he wasn't giving 100% I gave him the benefit of the doubt most times.

If anything that blue collar Boston town is going to lay into him if he doesn't hustle harder and get those rebounds like we all know he can.  Those fans can be a lot harsher than us.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

We all know.  In NBASupes' mind   Al Horford>Karl Malone.

I think very high of Horford. One of the best execution players I've seen. One of the most underrated players I've ever seen in the NBA. 

As for Malone, yeah, he's better just based off the simple fact that he is one of the best stat bigs ever but Horford has earned my respect as an impact guy.

I was listening to LockEd in podcast and I think the Houston host was seeing what I saw when I watched the Rockets.

Just now, RandomFan said:

Yes he will. But I don't think that's going to end up being the kind of respect you are hoping for.

I am not hoping for anything with him. He does deserve more respect. He deserved it here.

• Moderators

Horford will get his chance to earn immortality in Boston because he will get the attention.  If he is the best player on a contender there he Supes will have to stand in line to give him props.  I think success similar to what Atlanta has enjoyed is more likely.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Horford will get his chance to earn immortality in Boston because he will get the attention.  If he is the best player on a contender there he Supes will have to stand in line to give him props.  I think success similar to what Atlanta has enjoyed is more likely.

I agree, I think the success will be similar or the same, it's the respect is what will improve.

16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I agree, I think the success will be similar or the same, it's the respect is what will improve.

We always loved Al and I don't recall us ever booing him. If he is part of half as many 1st and 2nd round exits in Boston as we have been; they will eventually turn on him.

The older Al gets the further he will move away from being anything close to a 2nd option; which he has never really been.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am not hoping for anything with him. He does deserve more respect. He deserved it here.

You misunderstand. He's going to be exposed up there with the larger media presence. He's going to lose respect, not gain it - which is the respect he deserves...