• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks GM Wes Wilcox (The Vertical Podcast)

marco102

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Horford really isn't. If Boston traded him to Milwaukee the attention would be gone tomorrow.  Everyone in Boston gets the spotlight because Boston is a media spotlight and so much of the media (including ESPN) is based in new england.  Heck, Isaiah Thomas gets lots of attention in Boston and we all know he is best utilized as a 6th man.

No I know. He is considered a star, I don't think he is one. Not only in Boston, but if he went to Chicago, LA, NY, Houston or Miami, the media would call him a star.

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I agree, I think the success will be similar or the same, it's the respect is what will improve.

Al always had the fans respect. The coaches around the league respect, players respect. He just never got it from the medua because he was in Atlanta. 

Boston's own Tommy H didn't think much of Al, now that he's there and hasn't played even one game as yet - the narrative has changed.

Most people had little but good things to say about him until the last year and a half or so.

Even me... Critical of almost all Hawk players went easy on Al until he stopped playing hard every night after he came back from the injuries. Especially after he starting shoot 3's this year.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I agree, I think the success will be similar or the same, it's the respect is what will improve.

I doubt it. Horford was the fan favorite here for 9 years. Now he's going into Boston on the backside of his career with a massive contract. They only way he becomes more respected there is if he tries harder than he did the last two seasons, which would only further justify most of the criticism. 

Speaking of Tommy Heinsohn, I didn't know he was #15. So Horford's apparently #42 now. 

Horford is only going to get "the respect he deserves" if he plays much harder than he did in Atlanta in his last season. If he doesn't, it's going to get very ugly in Boston with the media. Atlanta media is silent compared to them.

And...if he does play much harder, he 100% deserves the criticism he got last season for his play, as it confirms he coasted last season. And for me, you're not going to pull that **** of coasting, demanding a max contract, and then getting your feelings hurt when you don't see a blank check in which he can name his price.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Most people had little but good things to say about him until the last year and a half or so.

Even me... Critical of almost all Hawk players went easy on Al until he stopped playing hard every night after he came back from the injuries. Especially after he starting shoot 3's this year.

... envisioning Hot's kid as Joey, and Al being cast in the Roger Murdock role of an Airplane re-make... "busting my buns evvveryyy night".... (hehe)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sturt said:

... envisioning Hot's kid as Joey, and Al being cast in the Roger Murdock role of an Airplane re-make... "busting my buns evvveryyy night".... (hehe)

Top 5 movie of all time :-)

9 hours ago, AHF said:

Horford really isn't. If Boston traded him to Milwaukee the attention would be gone tomorrow.  Everyone in Boston gets the spotlight because Boston is a media spotlight and so much of the media (including ESPN) is based in new england.  Heck, Isaiah Thomas gets lots of attention in Boston and we all know he is best utilized as a 6th man.

Yeah no major media is going be talking about Horford like media will do KD in GS all next season. Horford signing to BOS is no different than Millsap signing to ATL, they know he's a good player but he's no KD and LeBron.

8 hours ago, Buzzard said:

We always loved Al and I don't recall us ever booing him. If he is part of half as many 1st and 2nd round exits in Boston as we have been; they will eventually turn on him.

The older Al gets the further he will move away from being anything close to a 2nd option; which he has never really been.

Horford is the HIGHEST paid player in the ENTIRE NBA. I could imagine BOS should expect him to drop 20 and 10 not 15 and 8. I know I would.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Yeah no major media is going be talking about Horford like media will do KD in GS all next season. Horford signing to BOS is no different than Millsap signing to ATL, they know he's a good player but he's no KD and LeBron.

Al's value is like Marc Gasol or Joakim Noah. You have to actually watch and understand the game to see his impact. Most Boston fans will love him. They appreciate players who make an impact more than our fans do. We hyping up Dwight. I haven't seen many Celtics fans hyping up a player who was an average impact last year.

Then again, this is the same board who was convinced in 2006 that Josh Smith was going to be as good as Nique and better than Al especially Diesel 

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Al's value is like Marc Gasol or Joakim Noah. You have to actually watch and understand the game to see his impact. Most Boston fans will love him. They appreciate players who make an impact more than our fans do. We hyping up Dwight. I haven't seen many Celtics fans hyping up a player who was an average impact last year.

Then again, this is the same board who was convinced in 2006 that Josh Smith was going to be as good as Nique and better than Al especially Diesel 

Yeah he's nice especially when you feed him the ball when his 15 footers are hitting and when he's getting layups against slower centers. I watched plenty of his games. Yeah I just see he got a lot of hype and after having KG/Allen they may expect the same impact.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I do think down the road we will regret that Al left.    He is a good guy and great player.   But that's pro sports nowadays.   

I think it's unlikely that we will regret his leaving three or four years from now.  The regret will be the fact the current team isn't much better, if at all, without him.  But, it's not like the Hawks were winning the championship with him, so we might as well move on and wish him well.

• Like 2

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

I think it's unlikely that we will regret his leaving three or four years from now.  The regret will be the fact the current team isn't much better, if at all, without him.  But, it's not like the Hawks were winning the championship with him, so we might as well move on and wish him well.

That may be true but we said the same about Smitty.   I don't know if we could have kept Smitty at his contract and added enough to get over the hump but his departure screwed this franchise for years.     I still have faith in Bud though.