Same Ole Falcons

PSSSHHHRRR87

13 hours ago, jy23 said:

as the season unfolded you saw the tide changing

At the beginning of the season the defense couldn't tackle well and over ran plays consistently and now Green Bay is snuffed in the first half of a playoff game by us. The injury talk about the Packers will probably remain a good while about that game but we had an All Pro corner who is top two or three in the entire league on the sidelines cheering ourselves. Troy Aikman even stated the numbers are very deceptive about our D and you can't truly appreciate our speed unless you watch it point blank. Just talking about the defense in this post but so much improved on both sides of the ball and if our special teams can hold up we'll take the Patriots. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2017 at 5:18 PM, Lurker said:

Man, I like to ramble on about some things on sports based on stuff I saw from different forums (this case was rotoworld where I don't post, but this really probably belongs on TD but I decided to post it here). A lot of ramblings of mine don't get posted.

It should also have a PS: Only two defenses may have the talent to do it when healthy.

I'm not totally up on the league but the only LB I know of who could even attempt to cover Free or Coleman is Khalil Mack.  

The Falcons have so much more 1st Round level talent than the Patriots it's a joke.  They got shut out by an awful franchise that fired its coach.  That's the biggest indictment of an offense you can find.  Had the Falcons been shut out halfway through the season they would've halted operations.  All they have to worry about is taking care of their huge DT Branch.  No problem, our line has been solid all year.

On the flip side, the Patriots are heavily dependent on YAC.  Neal and Poole will be measuring their little intermediate routes and will collect at least one skull for a souvenir, hopefully Edleman's.  Amazingly they've survived without their most talented player in Gronk, who would be worth almost double-digits in this game.  The Falcons are gonna walk.

Edited by benhillboy

Never really seen Mack do a lot in space with backs or receivers...not saying he can't but haven't seen it much. The guys that come to mind are Wagner from Seattle and Luke from Carolina. Alexander from TB is another....thing is NE has nobody even close to that. Their linebackers are big bulky guys, damn near extra d lineman, which they use to stop the run and they're decent at it. Once we have them chasing on the perimeter with a lot of stretch plays it's going to really test them but there is no way in hell those guys can keep up in the passing game with our backs. They're going to have to give them safety help which means they can't give safety help on Julio. Can't do both, something is gonna have to give. 

Was it a dare or an envelope stuffed with cash from Belichick. The latter seems to fit in with their history. 

“I’m drunk. I’m stupid. I’m a Pats fan.” Harrison told police.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/patriots-fan-pulled-fire-alarm-steelers-hotel-dare-article-1.2953706

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Was it a dare or an envelope stuffed with cash from Belichick. The latter seems to fit in with their history. 

“I’m drunk. I’m stupid. I’m a Pats fan.” Harrison told police.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/patriots-fan-pulled-fire-alarm-steelers-hotel-dare-article-1.2953706

I bet 98% of them could say that daily...lol

26 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

For what? I'm thrilled for the Falcons and don't recall ever cheering against them. I don't think y'all have a chance against the Pats but I hope the Falcons destroy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34-24 FALCONS! -Lions fan

3 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

For what? I'm thrilled for the Falcons and don't recall ever cheering against them. I don't think y'all have a chance against the Pats but I hope the Falcons destroy them.

Not saying you owe us props, you're just usually the first to weigh in on all things NFL.  Sorry we don't have any former Dolphins to help us on this road.  We could send Cleveland a replica of the Lomabardi, though.  How can you say we don't have a chance?  Have you watched the Falcons this year?

17 hours ago, jy23 said:

Alexander from TB is another....

Forgot him.  I don't know about the other two but I can see him making a few plays. 

3 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

Glad you're pulling for us but you are underestimating us big time. 

25 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Not saying you owe us props, you're just usually the first to weigh in on all things NFL.  Sorry we don't have any former Dolphins to help us on this road.  We could send Cleveland a replica of the Lomabardi, though.  How can you say we don't have a chance?  Have you watched the Falcons this year?

Forgot him.  I don't know about the other two but I can see him making a few plays. 

Yeah Kwon is freaky athletic. But Wagner and Luke are maybe slightly less athletic but both are more instinctual players at that position. Jones has that crazy athleticism too and hope he can keep developing that instinct. 

I'm not underestimating the Falcons. I've just seen the Pats win tooooo many times against a better team. The Falcons are the better team but I just don't believe the Pats will lose. Nothing would make me happier than to see them humiliated though so you better believe I am pulling hard for the Falcons.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I honestly don't know much about the Pats players but the Falcons are young, fast and good.   That's a good combo for unseating a traditionally tough contender.   Just got to not make any any big mistakes and I think the Pats will be scrambling to cover our many offensive weapons.   

Belicheck has shut down 2 of the most high powered offenses in Super Bowl history. The Bills K Gun of the early 90's and the Rams greatest show on Earth. They have a bunch of guys who are unheralded but they do their job play after play and that makes their whole team far better than they should be. The defenses philosophy is to be play dirty, physical and to make you go the length of the field with short plays. They rarely ever give up big plays and the Falcons live on that. It will be interesting to see how Julio fares with having the D get very physical with him and take cheap shots after the whistle that the Pats routinely get away with. And don't even think about getting physical with Brady because the refs will penalize you and your players will get frustrated and commit personal fouls. The Pats feast on forcing (with help) the opponent's getting angry and making mistakes. Their undersized backs and receivers always seem to get open and they don't ever turn the ball over. Their offensive lineman will dive at your defensive linemans knees instead of blocking them straight up. That's the team that you're facing. After nearly 2 decades of seeing it twice a year I am intimately familiar with how they are able to win year after year when they shouldn't and it never surprises me anymore.

Go Falcons!

In their last 8 games, they are 7-1. Over that stretch, they have averaged 37.5 ppg on offense.  Now mind you, in 4 of those games, they took the foot off the accelerator in the 4th and tried to just run out the game. 3 times they opted not to score and just sit on it.

In that same time period, the defense has given up 20.5 ppg.  However, many of those points were scored against a prevent defense in the 4th. That was the story all year really except for the Philly game. It is the only game they laid an egg. The offense has scored 40 or more 6 out of 18 games (33% of the time) and 13 out of 18 times (72% of the time). The last 6 games of the season + playoffs, no team has been better with their only loss coming when Matt Ryan threw an interception on a 2 point conversion (returned by KC for 2) trying to push the lead to 3. It backfired granting KC the 1 point victory. The 5 Falcon losses were by 1, 2, 3, 7 and 9 points. 1 can be solely blamed on Ryan. 1 on Quinn, 2 of the refs (see Seattle no call pass interference).  The only legitimate loss on the season was the 9 point loss to Philly who exploited a problem in run coverage (since fixed).

Dolfan, you may want to rethink this. This was the most dominant 5 loss team in recent history and they are just now starting to peak. The games against Seattle and Green Bay were man-handlings. I am thinking 35-21 Falcons.

• Like 2

The Falcons would have one of the worst defenses to ever win a Super Bowl if they do win it. Don't quote me but I believe they said opponents averaged 26 ppg on the Falcons this year. That's against teams who can't score like the Pats. They put up 34 on the #1 defense Texans and then 36 against a Steelers team who were 9-1 in their last 10 or something like that. The Pats scored 440 points and that's without Tom Brady for 4 games plus them taking their foot off the gas in most games. They lost 1 time with Brady and had 13 games (including both playoff games) where they held their opponent to less than 18 points. Don't forget 2 years ago Brady put up 28 in the Super Bowl vs a MUCH more talented Seahawks D led by Dan Quinn.

Btw I don't know what a dominant 5 loss team means. 5 losses means inconsistent with flashes of dominance. That's like being the hottest girl in the bar after 2am.

Tom Brady (and crew) were 11-1 while Matt Ryan (and crew) were 11-5.