• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Barkley: "Atlanta is not going to make the playoffs"

GameTime

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What exactly is a complete game? You can't throw the ball to him and tell him get me a bucket, need a big rebound? No.

Al is very good at what he does but he did nothing to put is in a better position to battle Cleveland last year. He's no Karl Malone.

Decision making, passing, movement on and off the ball, blocks, covering ground, rim and paint protection, shooting, efficiency, BBIQ and execution. 

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Decision making, passing, movement on and off the ball, blocks, covering ground, rim and paint protection, shooting, efficiency, BBIQ and execution. 

That's not complete.

I'll admit I don't closely pay attention to a game, but in what I saw down the stretch of the Chicago game, Horford looked like a ghost. Like I couldn't tell he was even there.

His defensive strengths are honestly not as needed in Boston. Crowder and Bradley are >>>> even Bazemore on the defensive end so the extra help isn't needed. While as long as Kyle starts in Atlanta, he needs help from the bigs so he's hidden.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

There you go. 

I think you got 12 of them... 12 more correct than Chuck ever would! Good job, good effort!

(Will have to check with the judges on C.J. Watson, since he could just as well become Phoenix's coach by the time the season ends!)

~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Wretch said:

This his sums up my thoughts on Al quickly and accurately. I don't mean to come off as a hater, because I LOVED Horford.  He was very good at being a solid part of an efficient system...but he himself wasn't particularly special (statistically speaking) at doing any one thing.  It's not so much that he didn't make us a better team...it's that he wasn't THE reason why we were a better team.

Meaning...he was, is, and will always be replaceable. 

Replacing him with a HEALTHY D12 makes us different, but not necessarily worse. Will we have tha dependable mid range?  No, but we will feel Dwight's consistent double-digit boards.  You could go point for point comparing and it's not that one player is more valuable than the other. It basically comes down to WHAT ELSE you have on the floor. 

In our case, that "what else" is a solid team and a solid fit for a true big man like Howard or a solid all around player like Horf. 

Long and short of it...I ain't sweating the loss of Horford nor am I worried that his presence puts Boston over in the East. 

Replacing Sullinger with Al Horford will give Boston maaaybe an extra win or two this year. Nothing more.

It comes down to what will get us by the Cavs and take the East from them. Last year the lack of boards and horrible late game shooting doomed us in the second round. We have a dominate rebounder now and Kyle is not rehabilitating from two surgeries so it feels like we have a couple of answers.  

• Like 1

Hawks would have to TRY to finish below 5th in the East. Chunk Barkley is a clown.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

Yea the Hawks easily make the playoffs. Right now I think we are around 4th or 5th  seed but its still early. I dont think it will become a clearer picture until around the second half of the season and the trade deadline is over.  I can see a few teams making moves to try and sure up some things.

36 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Until proven otherwise, I expect us to finish with the #1 seed in the conference. Concede NOTHING. Most eggspurts expect Cleveland to finish with the top spot, and that is a smart money bet. But the fact of the matter is it's all speculation until you lace em up and go play the games. Nobody pegged us as the #1 seed 3 years ago when we ran away with the top spot.

Speaking from a purely speculative position, I don't understand anyone that thinks we might finish lower than top 2 in the conference -- top 3 at WORST with Toronto being the only real competition after Cleveland for those top 2 spots.

62 wins is not out the question for this crew. The bench looks elite and if the starters can figure it out, this can be a scary team. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

62 wins is not out the question for this crew. The bench looks elite and if the starters can figure it out, this can be a scary team. 

Supes has been hacked!!!!!

Seriously though, one thing the eggsperts don't pay attention to is divisions.  Putting a team like TOR on that potential #2 line assumes they'll continue to make hay vs the tanking teams in their division.

Well, at worst, each team in that division will be moldly competitive.  Even BKN will get some wins. 

I'm not saying we'll be dominant, but it's more likely that we'll do wel in - division.

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Seriously though, one thing the eggsperts don't pay attention to is divisions.  Putting a team like TOR on that potential #2 line assumes they'll continue to make hay vs the tanking teams in their division.

Between the ECF last year and what happened last night the Raptors really should be considered in the mix. We ourselves are built right for the playoffs I do believe. Depth is something most teams wish for and we have it. 

The thing about Horford is he's ultimately a high-level glue guy, along the lines of Iggy or Draymond, etc (obviously, there's tiers even among glue guys). Horford does almost everything well, but we already have plenty of glue on this team. It cannot be overstated how much Howard's gravity around the basket should change this team offensively. If they don't double him, he'll score, and if they do someone is open. I love Horford, but the dude never commanded doubles the way Howard or even Millsap does.

• Like 3

Agreed, and really when was the last time Al grabbed nineteen rebounds in one game (not two, three or more)? Trying to recall but just can't. Understanding its just one stat but that was a huge difference last year in us making it to the ECF and possibly more. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Supes has been hacked!!!!!

Well, at worst, each team in that division will be moldly competitive.  Even BKN will get some wins. 

I'm not saying we'll be dominant, but it's more likely that we'll do wel in - division.

Lol. This team has a wide range. They still haven't figured it out yet. With that said, the defense is special.

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Agreed, and really when was the last time Al grabbed nineteen rebounds in one game (not two, three or more)? Trying to recall but just can't. Understanding its just one stat but that was a huge difference last year in us making it to the ECF and possibly more. 

February 25, 2013, 22 rebounds from the Horfster versus Greg Monroe, future teammate Jonas Jerebko and the Pistons. Our starting small forward was DeShawn Stevenson.

~lw3

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

February 25, 2013, 22 rebounds from the Horfster versus Greg Monroe, future teammate Jonas Jerebko and the Pistons. Our starting small forward was DeShawn Stevenson.

~lw3

Pretty surprised. All I could find was seasonal stats and Al did average ten rebounds during the 2012-13 season. Not against the Cavs when we needed it last year. Yeah I know its that recent memory thing that won't leave me alone. 

Year Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
2007–08 Atlanta 81 77 31.4 .499 .000 .731 9.7 1.5 .7 .9 10.1
2008–09 Atlanta 67 67 33.5 .525 .000 .727 9.3 2.4 .8 1.4 11.5
2009–10 Atlanta 81 81 35.1 .551 1.000 .789 9.9 2.3 .7 1.1 14.2
2010–11 Atlanta 77 77 35.1 .557 .500 .798 9.3 3.5 .8 1.0 15.3
2011–12 Atlanta 11 11 31.6 .553 .000 .733 7.0 2.2 .9 1.3 12.4
2012–13 Atlanta 74 74 37.2 .543 .500 .644 10.2 3.2 1.1 1.1 17.4
2013–14 Atlanta 29 29 33.1 .567 .364 .682 8.4 2.6 .9 1.5 18.6
2014–15 Atlanta 76 76 30.5 .538 .306 .759 7.2 3.2 .9 1.3 15.2
2015–16 Atlanta 82 82 32.1 .505 .344 .798 7.3 3.2 .8 1.5 15.2
Career 578 574 33.5 .535 .340 .743 8.9 2.7 .8 1.2 14.3
All-Star 4 0 12.0 .706 .333 .000 4.3 1.5 .3 .5 6.3