• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm Told G-LEAGUE!

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

South Fulton could definitely use the love (and the revenue). I just hope they have the funds to really build this arena thing on-time.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-get-league-team-college-park/8yArEC68TPuA5s8o7XnrGL/

The Hawks will purchase and operate their own NBA Development League team located in College Park, according to a person familiar with the situation. The team, with a new arena built the City of College Park, will begin play for the 2019-20 season.

The Hawks and the City of College Park have scheduled a “major announcement” Thursday afternoon to unveil the plans. While College Park will build and operate the arena, the Hawks’ affiliate will be the primary tenant.

College Park was one of the locations the Hawks explored for their new practice facility, which will be built in Brookhaven and open next October.

A D-League team has been a priority for the organization since the ownership group led by Tony Ressler purchased the team.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

AtlantaVultures.png

ASIDE: I was looking into sports at the GICC and had a quick chuckle reading this recent Wiki entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Vultures

The Atlanta Vultures were a professional indoor football team and a member of American Indoor Football (AIF) that played part of the 2016 season. Based in AtlantaGeorgia, the Vultures were to play their home games at the Georgia International Convention Center.

The Vultures are Atlanta's second AIF team, following the Atlanta Sharks who began play in 2014 and folded during the 2015 season.

The Vultures ran into operational issues when they found their home arena lacked quality playing turf. The Vultures would end up cancelling all home games and played three road games during the season, winning two of the three games. However, after winning the third game against the Savannah Steam on April 17, the AIF ruled that the Vultures had played the game using illegal players and reversed the score of the game (essentially making it a forfeit). The Vultures folded and took down their website later that week.

Minor league sports, man.

~lw3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I hope they'll name the facility/floor after longtime College Park resident Walt Bellamy. The former Hawks center retired here and has a Veteran's Memorial Park project named in his honor.

Remember them ringing the bell at Alexander Memorial when he would slam one down. Back in the days of wooden bleachers for college teams. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I speculated on the possible landing spots a few months back, and the Georgia International Convention Center (not to be confused with the Georgia World Congress Center across the street from Philips downtown) just felt like it made more and more sense.

NBA teams have been increasingly keeping their D-League franchises really close to home (Salt Lake City Stars, Windy City Bulls, Long Island Nets, NAZ Suns, Raptors 905), so having D-League teams able to get in-and-out of the World's Busiest Airport (they don't like that name no more, but they are) is a big plus. Loads of hotel space, although the food scene could use another renaissance. Also, having our own players able to stay in the ATL metro and have close access to player development staff and the new Brookhaven facility is key.

I hope they'll name the facility/floor after longtime College Park resident Walt Bellamy. The former Hawks center retired here and has a Veteran's Memorial Park project named in his honor.

Southside represent!

I'm told that's a consideration, and also, they're thinking of naming the three point line for longtime College Park resident Josh Smith. That's what my sources are telling me, anyhow. And I assure you they're great sources. I have only the best sources.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

2019 is soooo far away, though.

Crossing my fingers that there's an interim location planned until they get the arena built.

And, seriously... who builds an arena for a D-league team? Anyone? That seems a little extreme, no?

• Like 2