• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks emotional in reacting to Korver trade

GameTime

21 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Our numbers as a team with Korver on the court and without him on the court show that we're a better team without him on the court.

Believe this is what you have been referring to.

I should note that Atlanta has been 13.8 points per 100 possessions better with Korver on the bench this season, according to NBA.com/Stats. While it's hard to believe that offensive improvement with Korver sitting is anything but noise, it's possible the defensive upgrade is more permanent. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/kyle-korver-cavs-title-chances/story?id=44590388

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Thomas said:

Believe this is what you have been referring to.

I should note that Atlanta has been 13.8 points per 100 possessions better with Korver on the bench this season, according to NBA.com/Stats. While it's hard to believe that offensive improvement with Korver sitting is anything but noise, it's possible the defensive upgrade is more permanent. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/kyle-korver-cavs-title-chances/story?id=44590388

There you go. I think someone had an offensive and defensive efficieny rating stat somewhere in these threads as well but I don't have the time/inclination to find them.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I swear.... people are acting like we just traded Ray Allen in his prime or something. I know we loved Kyle but seriously, it is just Kyle Korver. The same dude that hasn't helped get us over the hump in the 5 years he has been here. The same dude that's on the downside of his career. The same dude that got benched this season. If Cleveland of all places was willing to trade for an old shooter on the last year of his contract then you make that deal. Stop thinking about the past man, he obviously wasn't in our plans for next season. We literally just drafted two wings. Instead of letting him finish the last 46 games off the bench and not resign him in the offseason we actually got something in return. 

I wish Atlanta fans would stop being so damn attached to guys all the time. 

Now if we move Millsap for pennies on the dollar then we can be mad about rebuilding but right now, it's just Kyle Korver. A non difference maker this season on an expiring deal. Period 

Yeah except Cleveland keeps picking up 'old shooters' like Channing Frye and Richard Jefferson who absolutely scorch us in the playoffs.   Add Korver to that list.   We will see.   Despite the random stats Korver was still by far our best 3 point shooter on a team where that is our biggest weakness.   We traded him for a crummy pick in 2 years.   Now maybe we use that pick to help us really upgrade, but if not then we just jettisoned some talent to the most stacked team in the east and got nothing in return to help us win in the foreseeable future.  Not seeing how that is something to be happy about.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah except Cleveland keeps picking up 'old shooters' like Channing Frye and Richard Jefferson who absolutely scorch us in the playoffs.   Add Korver to that list.   We will see.   Despite the random stats Korver was still by far our best 3 point shooter on a team where that is our biggest weakness.   We traded him for a crummy pick in 2 years.   Now maybe we use that pick to help us really upgrade, but if not then we just jettisoned some talent to the most stacked team in the east and got nothing in return to help us win in the foreseeable future.  Not seeing how that is something to be happy about.   

Korver is going to be rejuvenated in Cleveland. He might average over 3 3's a game there no joke. If the Cavs had a 50% shot and back to back titles ...we just increased that to about 60-65% in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

And yet despite Korver's 3 point ability we still are a significantly better team without him on the court. I mean the metrics don't lie here. This team is simply better without him and now we have a future first rounder for not having him on the team. Yes, it makes Cleveland stronger now but it isn't like we gave them a young player with years ahead. How long is Korver going to play? Honestly? If he wins a ring this year he could easily hang it up.

Yep.

http://www.82games.com/1617/1617ATL.HTM

vor 1 Stunde, Sothron sagte:

Our numbers as a team with Korver on the court and without him on the court show that we're a better team without him on the court.

The other part of the equasion is that the bench has been better with korver on the bench.

vor 1 Stunde, Sothron sagte:

+ he's a typical deep-run team bench guy. great to have in the playoffs, seeking out mismatches to then come in, providing off chance scoring when needed etc. Hes a great asset for a team that tries, but not a starter no more indeed. If we got something in return then alright, but...its as minimal as can be.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

You guys are mad we gave up 35 year old Kyle Korver for a first round pick?  Korver could be resigned in the off season (Most likely not).  You should be happy the pick is in 2019.  Cleveland may be champions for this season and next.  However, in 2019 what if LBJ leaves gets injured or whatever happens and Cleveland is around a 15th pick in the draft? 

Then this is a steal!  We are accumulating assets to possibly move up in the draft or get an impact player from someone. 

Let's be patient and see how this fully plays out. 

If anyone thinks that Cleveland, GSW, or SA are not winning the championship this year, then pass me that joint! 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

verrier_justin_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=c

Justin Verrier ESPN Staff Writer 

Dwight Howard on the mood amongst the Hawks after learning of the reported trade of Kyle Korver to Cleveland: "I think guys are pretty hurt about it," Howard said. "On one hand, you're going to be happy for him going to a really good team. On the other hand, it's like, ‘Dang, he's going to a really good team.' I am curious to see what his handshake will be. A lot of those guys give really good handshakes. … Oh, man. It's just shocking, for all of us."

Justin Verrier ESPN Staff Writer 

Asked if he feels the Hawks are going in a different direction than the team he signed on for this offseason, Dwight Howard paused for six seconds, let out a sigh and said, "That's a tricky question to answer. … It's basketball. It's a serious business. You never know what can happen, with any team. You never know. I mean, I didn't expect this to happen, but, like I said, you never know."

Edited by RandomFan

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Sothron said:

You realize of course that our numbers as a team show we are better team without all those guys too and they have been objectively worse than him.

We have a bunch of flawed wings on this team.  Korver has been in the upper half of them this year even with his liabilities but especially so since he started coming off the bench (not sure if the +/- is broken out by starter games and bench games but I am willing to bet it looks a lot better after he was rightly moved to the bench).

Look, I don't think Kyle is amazing anymore.  His defense has degraded.  Bud overplayed him (perhaps trying to feature him for a trade?) and he deserved to be benched for Thabo and THJr.  He remains an elite shooter, however, and that is a valuable role player especially compared to the performance to date from Bazemore, Prince and Bembry.  I do hope that this trade gives needed developmental minutes to our rookies and saves Bud from himself by not playing Kyle 35 minutes per game again.  A big part of the problem with Kyle was not him as much as Bud's overuse of him.  I expect him to have some moments for Cleveland as they use him better.

On 1/6/2017 at 11:14 AM, Spud2Nique said:

Get Prince back from the D league and set him free now. Bembry looked solid last night too. Congrats on ur fantasy football 1st place BTW...can't believe I pulled a 90's Utah Jazz and went 11-2 only to lose to Diesel in the playoffs but at least beat Cap to get the bronze. 3rd place ain't so bad :-|

I think we need to free up a roster spot now. Lets see what else Bud has up his sleeve.

Thanks on the Football Championship props. It was a crazy season and even though you and I were at the top for most season points, everyone scored well any given week. I honestly thought the championship was totally up for grabs.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I think we need to free up a roster spot now. Lets see what else Bud has up his sleeve.

Thanks on the Football Championship props. It was a crazy season and even though you and I were at the top for most season points, everyone scored well any given week. I honestly thought the championship was totally up for grabs.

No we  don't: traded Korver, waived Kelly. Received Dunleavy and Mo. Roster is still at 15.

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No we  don't: traded Korver, waived Kelly. Received Dunleavy and Mo. Roster is still at 15.

And sounds like we waive Mo since we got the cash to pay the rest of his salary anyway, so why tie up the roster spot? Just do the waiver paperwork and move on. Bye.

8 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:

And sounds like we waive Mo since we got the cash to pay the rest of his salary anyway, so why tie up the roster spot? Just do the waiver paperwork and move on. Bye.

Let's not be hasty.  Mo's contract could still be used in another trade.

48 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If we want to bring up Prince from D League I thought we did.

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

If we want to bring up Prince from D League I thought we did.

Even though Prince and Scott were assigned to the  DL they still counts as part  of the  15  man roster.

• Premium Member
On 1/6/2017 at 2:16 PM, marco102 said:

You guys are mad we gave up 35 year old Kyle Korver for a first round pick?  Korver could be resigned in the off season (Most likely not).  You should be happy the pick is in 2019.  Cleveland may be champions for this season and next.  However, in 2019 what if LBJ leaves gets injured or whatever happens and Cleveland is around a 15th pick in the draft? 

Then this is a steal!  We are accumulating assets to possibly move up in the draft or get an impact player from someone. 

Let's be patient and see how this fully plays out. 

If anyone thinks that Cleveland, GSW, or SA are not winning the championship this year, then pass me that joint! 

Let's be honest.  That first round pick is a 2nd round pick.. probably in a weak draft... 3 years from now.   That pick is meaningless in our hands.  So we gave up a Hawk for that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Let's be honest.  That first round pick is a 2nd round pick.. probably in a weak draft... 3 years from now.   That pick is meaningless in our hands.  So we gave up a Hawk for that. 

Now that more details are out,  we know that the pick is an 11- 30 first round pick for 2019 and 2020.  It can be converted into two second round picks in 2021 or 2022.  Anyway you slice it, that is a good deal for an expiring player who we probably weren't going to resign.  

I'm being objective here. I was a BIG Korver fan, but Cleveland is giving up alot in that trade.  It's not like we were waltzing to the title this year (not saying we can't just saying it's highly improbable.).

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 1:04 PM, Sothron said:

There you go. I think someone had an offensive and defensive efficieny rating stat somewhere in these threads as well but I don't have the time/inclination to find them.

Boy, Cleveland just shot themselves in the foot didn't they?

Edited by Watchman

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Draft placement of each Atlanta Hawk currently on the roster'

1st round picks:

- Howard:  ( 1st - 2004 )

- Prince:  ( 12th - 2016 )

- Thabo: ( 13th - 2007 )

- Humphries: ( 14th - 2004 )

- Schröder:  ( 17th - 2013 )

- Bembry:  ( 21st - 2016 )

- Hardaway Jr:  ( 24th - 2013 )

( possible Hawks pick - 2019 )

2nd round picks:

- Splitter:  ( 28th - 2007 )