• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dennis Schröder appreciation thread

StephenHawking

On 4/27/2017 at 11:44 AM, DS5 said:

Hate to say it, but Dennis would be so much more effective with a stretch 5 who can move and screen...not going to say his name and hope he tears another titty. And I really thought Dwight was going to turn it on in the playoffs....but again, hate to say it, but I'm starting to think his signing was a mistake (at his price). I know I know...his rebounding and paint protection has been great, but what we give up on offense and defensive PnR, Dwight's impact is greatly reduced. 

If only Dwight could simply hold onto the basketball and put it in the hole, but his butterfingers just can't do something that simple most of the time. Just don't understand how he has lost such simple skills.

1 hour ago, Trout7 said:

Just don't understand how he has lost such simple skills.

He's never had any real skills, especially ball skills.  If so his And-1 and assist numbers would at least be respectable.  He's always been all shoulders and springs.  He's awesome at absorbing hard contact and not complaining though, always admired that about him.

Edited by benhillboy

• Admin

I have been a Dennis detractor a lot of the season as I am not a fan of the score first pg but he has improved a lot and his playmaking is so much better.  He is definitely maturing ...

He has a number of things that he should work on in the offseason but I think a big focus should be on Defence ... he has the long arms and speed for it but right now I wouldn't call him a good defender at all.  I would love for him to learn from a Mike Conley type on how to be a good defender at the 1.  That is a huge huge facet that needs work.

15 hours ago, benhillboy said:

He's never had any real skills, especially ball skills.  If so his And-1 and assist numbers would at least be respectable.  He's always been all shoulders and springs.  He's awesome at absorbing hard contact and not complaining though, always admired that about him.

He could at least catch the basketball and score with Orlando, he gets stripped a high percentage of the time now when he gets the ball in perfect position underneath.

Honestly in game 4 there was signs of what the Hawks could do at a high percentage being taken away (like Dennis's favorite stuff to do inside being taken away). It didn't matter because all of the guys that could have a great impact on a game had "that game" in one game and it allowed Paul/Dennis to later step up and close the game in the fourth quarter.

Game 5 would've been a blowout if it weren't for slop making like Dennis threes, as Bret likes to call it (although he's a higher percentage than Smart, teams still absolutely WANT him to take that shot). Unfortunately, this isn't Boston lol which sucks.

On 4/27/2017 at 1:10 PM, Diesel said:

I want to turn your attention to an article from a few years ago...

Here's the thing... we have seen best practices with this team.  We have seen Budball work.  YET... you sit here an advocate antiBudball as if it has ever worked?

This post is both accurate and inaccurate at the same time.its true that when the hawks are at their best, the ball is whizzing around and all five guys are engaged, the 60 win season points to that. 

But at the same time, you can't Compare this years team to that one. No one on that team displayed egos and they were toghether for a while too. Think about it .We never had to worry about how al horord felt if he had 9 points on the night. Dwight on the other hand...

Also ,When Dennis DOES pass to a wide open player, that player, whether bazemore,prince , hardaway is not knocking down those shots. On the other hand, we know how potent Demarre and Kyle were, and we were like top 4 in 3 point shooting.

I also believe it is unfair to compare 60 win season Teague vs Dennis for a few reasons. Firstly, this is Dennis's first time starting, and he s made more much farther strides when compared to Teague at that point in his career. Also if u remember, the knock on young Teague was that he too was a me player and tried to do too much at times. He matured. So will Dennis. 

Dennis is playing great and he will get better. Just give him time. He does one thing that will always equal success and that is an elite driving game.  This year, his midrange game has absolutely improved and so has his timing and decision making in the pnr. Once we can get some knockdown shooters and Better talent, then he will be even better. 

Some responsibility also belongs to coach bud in that he should tweak his system to where Dennis can be relied on for scoring more than playmaking. (Hopefully bembry assumes the playmaking role) Think of it as a tony Parker role. He was never relied on playmaking. The team used him as a slasher to generate the ball movement, but manu was the playmaker. Stop comparing Dennis to wall and Chris Paul and compare him to tony Parker instead. 

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't think of it but I feel like this is different from 2015 because Bud doesn't see Dwight as a lot of people do and really sees him more as like Andrew Bogut (not early career) or Tyson Chandler, a "garbage man big". So while he might want to see Dennis get him more involved he's probably not too mad about what he's doing (if Dennis were blocking out Millsap it'd be another story...). Unfortunately Dwight is good for like 15 mins of good play per game soooo...yeah.

• 3 weeks later...

After their season ended almost three weeks ago, Atlanta Hawks’ coach Mike Budenholzer and point guard Dennis Schröder got together on Wednesday.

Schröder, from Germany, posted a photo on Thursday of himself and Budenholzer in Hamberg after the two met up for dinner.

“All the way from Atlanta to Germany Coach Bud visited me yesterday in Hamburg !! Had great Dinner & talked about a lot of things (Atlanta Hawks),” Schröder wrote.

After their season ended almost three weeks ago, Atlanta Hawks’ coach Mike Budenholzer and point guard Dennis Schröder got together on Wednesday.

Schröder, from Germany, posted a photo on Thursday of himself and Budenholzer in Hamberg after the two met up for dinner.

“All the way from Atlanta to Germany Coach Bud visited me yesterday in Hamburg !! Had great Dinner & talked about a lot of things (Atlanta Hawks),” Schröder wrote.

Awesome. I still really like this kid and think he has a very bright future.

Does he have some maturing to do? Yes.

Could his decision making improve? Well, yea.

But overall, I'm glad he's a Hawk.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

When Dennis figures it all out and becomes a complete point guard, people will look back at this thread and wonder why they were appreciating the old Dennis. His potential is so off the chart, his approach and bbiq is all that is holding him back right now. I am waiting impatiently.

• Like 1

Here's some candid honestly about Dennis Schröder, some of it I already posted in a different thread, but with more wording:

It's Game 3 of the opening series of the playoffs in Atlanta this year. While Dennis Schröder isn't exactly playing lockdown defense, he's actually trying to be more pesky on that end. In the first quarter, he's making his presence felt everywhere on the court, on an open court play he's poking at Porter, bothering him enough to let Prince come over and steal the ball away as an easy example. Small plays like that on defense combining with one of the offensive outbursts he's shown in a lot of opening quarters in the season helped the Hawks out to a big lead to start, and while there was one run to cut it down later in the game and Dennis was not as hot after the first quarter on offense, Washington would never really threaten in the game.

It was actually this game in which exemplified how the Hawks look at their best, even with Howard not really involved on offense, despite game 4 being the game that was pretty funny and memorable due to what transpired. Despite there being two players that took 20 and 22 shots, it felt like everything came in the flow and ran smoothly. While Taurean Prince had struggled at times to put the ball in the hoop in the season, he for example got a lot of easy looks on easy transition plays, cuts, and in the opening run he had a rhythm three off of Schröder/Millsap as the centerfield playmaker in PNR.

It wasn't always like that though. To be truthful, while he doesn't have as bad of a personality as him, Dennis Schröder was basically a smaller Reggie Jackson this year. He has the potential to be more though and it's moments like this game that show us that, but that more isn't Chris Paul. That more is if he figures out how to use his tools more on the defensive end even if he doesn't get a ton of steals and get consistent with his shot, he can be a PG that is similar to Eric Bledsoe. A solid tier 2 PG.

What bugs me the most about his year is how while he had the length to be better, he didn't get enough steals. He should be at 1.5, minimum. And most of his turnovers were lazy. It isn't a coincidence that in a playoff series he did better turnover wise, it's because at least 25% of his turnover problem can be eradicated if he were more on his toes about it.

Dennis will continue to be polarizing, and it doesn't surprise me that most ESPN writers say no on him as a starting PG (even though I don't like ESPN anyway), but Kevin Pelton had the best take (and it's right) on him. This isn't word for word but it was basically:

If Dennis Schröder were able to be consistent with his jump shot, I definitely see no problem with him being a starter.

That's basically where the league has gone. No one is really looking for their PGs to be pass first today.

So the main two things to take from the playoff series are....

As long as Paul Millsap actually stays, and that's in doubt, Taurean Prince is likely to drastically improve on his numbers as a main rotation member and probably a starter. Being able to play off of Paul Millsap's passing and be an actual very good transition player unlike whatever Kent Bazemore was is going to help him. Now since it's not the playoffs and he won't be just trying to not do too much, his numbers will probably go down a bit, but I can see him putting up a solid season.

Dennis Schröder without a secondary playmaker is a hot mess right now. I absolutely was right to say during his rough stretch that I'd hold off and wait to see how he does when Millsap is fully back in the swing of things (as he's the secondary playmaker). That happened vs Boston and he looked better almost immediately. There will probably be a point in which it clicks for him riding alone in any situations but that point is probably not 2017-2018. It might not ever come in a lineup that doesn't have versatility from SG to C. There was signs of it starting to slow down for him while he was riding alone at times late in the season and in the playoffs but a lot of it came with Howard off of the floor. He started to mix his speeds more instead of just going fast, as an example of it slowing down.

And by the above ^^. I mean Prince's shooting %'s from the playoffs aren't likely to translate. I suspect he will have a lower 2 point percentage and higher 3 point percentage.

Assuming Millsap stays, it wouldn't take too much for him to slash something around 45% FG/37% 3PT/77% FT. And while he'll have dumb moments himself, his dumb moments will probably be controlled, unlike Bazemore.

I hope he starts. I think he will. I also think Bazemore is probably going to be starting again but its because of something unfortunate. I think Hardaway Jr is gone, and even if the Hawks do what I want them to do and take a SG with their 31st or take Donovan Mitchell with their 19th, they probably won't play much until later in the year.

Atlanta Hawks Season in Review: Dennis Schröder

Dennis Schröder was handed the keys to the Atlanta Hawks after last season when the Hawks’ management shipped Jeff Teague out of town for the pick that became Taurean Prince before last year’s NBA draft. Schröder, after three years as Teague’s backup, had outshined his predecessor in the 2016 playoffs, paving the way for Teague’s departure. Teague also was set to be a free agent at the end of the 2016-17 season, whereas the team still had Schröder in the final year of his rookie contract. Before the season, Schröder and the Hawks agreed to a four-year, $62-million extension, which will begin next season. While the team would probably have better last season with Teague at the helm, there’s no doubt that five years of Schröder at a reasonable price outweighs one year of an already-unhappy Teague.

Schröder is everything Teague wasn’t for Atlanta; he’s electric and he plays with a fire and speed that can hardly be matched across the league. On the other hand, he’s unpredictable and unstable, simultaneously a thorn in the side of Mike Budenholzer and the energy that makes the team go. Just 23 years old, the sky is the limit for him, provided the plane doesn’t crash before it gets to 10,000 feet. Hawks University has churned out multiple wings who had been discarded by the rest of the league, but it’s an entirely different challenge to develop this hard-headed but well-meaning German point guard.

At his best, Schröder is a top-tier point guard, capable of getting to the rim with impunity, knocking down pull-up jumpers, and spotting up around Paul Millsap in the post. Though he’s not respected around the league as a shooter and his overall three-point percentages certainly support that reputation, he’s an accomplished shooter and driver in spot-up situations, scoring 1.238 points per spot-up possession, a better mark than 93% of the NBA and one that put him in the company of some of the league’s most lethal shooters. His ability in catch-and-shoot situations has always been one of the best parts of his offensive game, going back to his days in Germany and in pre-draft workouts.

Pull-up jumpers, on the other hand, are an entirely different story. Schröder struggles mightily when teams hang back in the paint and allow him to shoot. Part of the frustration Budenholzer has with him is that Schröder is far too willing to take the bait and fire up that shot, but it’s that same fearlessness and confidence in himself that drives the rest of his game. In molding Schröder into a more complete, all-around player, the Hawks will have to be careful not to extinguish the flame that can make Schröder a terror to defend.

Teams instruct their defenders to let Schröder shoot from outside, but if he can continue to put up good numbers on spot-ups and improve his pull-up jumper, they’ll be forced to close out harder and go over those screens, which will open up drives to the rim. And oh, how Schröder loves to drive to the rim! Only Boston’s Isaiah Thomas had more drives per game than Schröder and while his efficiency on these drives was below average for a high-usage ball-handler, these possessions are better than most that the Hawks were able to produce last year.

Schröder’s development into an above-average shooter would be a boon to an Atlanta offense that can struggle to find good opportunities, but the most important improvement he must make is in his decision-making, passing, and ball-handling. Of 33 ball-handlers who ran at least 400 pick-and-rolls this season, Schröder finished dead last in turnover percentage on these plays, giving the ball to the other team one out of every ten times, almost twice as often as John Wall, his opponent in the first round of the playoffs. Point guards can be solid contributors without ever developing a reliable three-point shot, but point guards who turn the ball over like Schröder did last year rarely make it to a high level.

Defensively, Budenholzer and his staff can’t have many complaints with Schröder’s effort and execution, especially given his age and the new role thrust upon him this season. It says a lot about his personality and willingness to sacrifice for the team that he played more than ten minutes per game more than he had ever done in his career and was able to maintain his frenetic defensive style. Schröder frequently picked up opposing point guards in the backcourt, pestering them all the way up the court. This strategy works for guys like Houston’s Patrick Beverley and Milwaukee’s Matthew Dellavedova because their offensive role is so limited, but for Schröder to be able to pick up his mark 80 feet from the basket and run the Hawks’ offense on the other end is an enormous load. As he ages, it will be interesting to see how often he deploys that aspect of his game; his youthful exuberance may be buoying his effort level at 23, but it remains to be seen how long he can keep that up. Regardless, that extra effort was a big part of why the Hawks defense finished as well as it did last year. Combine that dogged effort with a 6’7” wingspan and some of the quickest feet in the league and it’s not hard to see why the Hawks are so high on Schröder’s defensive potential.

Schröder certainly has room for improvement but Atlanta has to be happy with how he’s performed in his first season behind the wheel for the Hawks. There were always going to be bumps in the road with a first-time starter operating in a new offense—he came up in the pace-and-space Hawks led by Millsap and Al Horford, so playing with Millsap and Dwight Howard was a huge change for him—but he met the challenge head on and will continue to round off the edges of his game as he ages into his prime as a basketball player. Some of the youth will wear off; we won’t see him pick up opposing point guards in the backcourt as often and some of his explosion to the rim may fall off, but he’ll replace that with the experience and knowledge of a veteran point guard.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/5/5/15554706/atlanta-hawks-2017-season-in-review-dennis-Schröder

Atlanta Hawks point guard Dennis Schröder will suit up for Germany at the 2017 Eurobasket tournament according to a report by BBL Profis. Schröder announced the decision Monday in his home town of Braunschweig.

“I will definitely play this summer. Listening to the German anthem is a great feeling. I did not hear it for a long time and it is time to listen to it again”

Schröder last played for Germany during the preliminary round of the 2015 Eurobasket. He was originally slated to participate with the team last summer but elected to remain stateside to focus on his transition to being the starting point guard of the Atlanta Hawks.

Schröder appeared in 79 games this season for Atlanta and set career highs in points (17.9), assists (6.3) and field goal percentage (45%).