• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 draft

bleachkit

I’m quickly becoming team Ayton. I at least think he’s going #1 overall. He checks all the boxes teams seem to look for in a number one pick. I love Doncic, and I think if he becomes an elite shooter he can be the number one guy on a team. Ayton is just huge and looks the part of the ideal nba center

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CP61 said:

I’m quickly becoming team Ayton. I at least think he’s going #1 overall. He checks all the boxes teams seem to look for in a number one pick. I love Doncic, and I think if he becomes an elite shooter he can be the number one guy on a team. Ayton is just huge and looks the part of the ideal nba center

Except for the fact that he's a lazy ass that can't defend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

Except for the fact that he's a lazy ass that can't defend.

I’m not going to hold high school for or against anyone. He’s been impressive against poor competition. I’m just saying he looks the part of a #1 pick. I still like Doncic better for now, but my opinion isn’t the one that counts.

In what world does he look the part of a #1 pick?  He has poor defensive awareness.  He's too slow to hedge on the pick and roll.  He doesn't show any aggression on offense when the ball is not in his hands.  He looks the part of a potential monumental bust to me, as some will get tantalized by the size and athleticism and completely ignore the lack of character.

43 minutes ago, KB21 said:

In what world does he look the part of a #1 pick?  He has poor defensive awareness.  He's too slow to hedge on the pick and roll.  He doesn't show any aggression on offense when the ball is not in his hands.  He looks the part of a potential monumental bust to me, as some will get tantalized by the size and athleticism and completely ignore the lack of character.

He’s big, he’s an athlete , and he’s a  kid. Let’s not attack ththe character or kids we have never met. If he shows poor effort in college that’s more relevant and he hasnt yet. As always with questions of motivation, I defer to the people who will actually meet him, so if he’s the top pick he will have convinced the Hawks.

Edited by CP61

36 minutes ago, CP61 said:

He’s big, he’s an athlete , and he’s a  kid. Let’s not attack ththe character or kids we have never met. If he shows poor effort in college that’s more relevant and he hasnt yet. As always with questions of motivation, I defer to the people who will actually meet him, so if he’s the top pick he will have convinced the Hawks.

The Hawks are tanking, so why should we trust them when it comes to evaluating the character of a prospect?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

What was your opinion of Shaq at 18?  Seems like a lot of criticisms you have of other youngsters would apply to him and he was obviously a dominant force in the NBA with numerous rings and awards despite his failure to ever develop a broad range of skills and his inconsistent focus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

What was your opinion of Shaq at 18?  Seems like a lot of criticisms you have of other youngsters would apply to him and he was obviously a dominant force in the NBA with numerous rings and awards despite his failure to ever develop a broad range of skills and his inconsistent focus.

Considering that I was 10 when he came out of high school, I have no idea what he was like.  I do know that he was a dominant force at LSU that didn't take plays off.  

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Considering that I was 10 when he came out of high school, I have no idea what he was like.  I do know that he was a dominant force at LSU that didn't take plays off.  

Agree to disagree with his LSU play.  He was dominant but there was a reason he played with two other studs and won exactly 1 NCAA game in two years (he played with All-American Chris Jackson who was the #3 pick and future #23 pick Stanley Roberts).  Shaq was special but LSU's teams were one of those classic dissappointments that were never as good in reality as they should have been on paper.  My personal take as someone who watched him then was his lack of consistent focus and intense desire to win was a big part of that underachieving.

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree to disagree with his LSU play.  He was dominant but there was a reason he played with two other studs and won exactly 1 NCAA game in two years (he played with All-American Chris Jackson who was the #3 pick and future #23 pick Stanley Roberts).  Shaq was special but LSU's teams were one of those classic dissappointments that were never as good in reality as they should have been on paper.  My personal take as someone who watched him then was his lack of consistent focus and intense desire to win was a big part of that underachieving.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that Dale Brown was not a good coach.  

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Lurker said:

....the same excuses are used with Ben Simmons.

Simmons didn't play with another All-American but with LSU's history I don't know why anyone would want to go there.  They have had some real stars who never win anything (Simmons + Shaq + Piston Pete = 1 combined NCAA win)

16 hours ago, CP61 said:

I can’t stress enough how happy I am that it’s already draft season in November. It’s like the holiday season all the time!

I'm glad you will be enjoying, at least the next 5 seasons while the Hawks accept losing as a philosophy.

1 hour ago, DBac said:

Whoever we draft better be ready to deal with Porzingis, Embiid, Simmons, Giannis in the east. Some crazy talent coming up at the moment :ohmy:

Hopefully Hawks are able to "acquire" 1 of those in a trade/FAcy. However unlikely, I bet they try.

42 minutes ago, hazer said:

Hopefully Hawks are able to "acquire" 1 of those in a trade/FAcy. However unlikely, I bet they try.

Giannis was always meant to be a Hawk. I hope the bucks organization crashes and he has to jump ship. Speaking of Giannis, I’m watching his brother at Dayton on ESPNU right now. He looks the part but he’s not even close to what I’d expect.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hazer said:

Philly fans would burn the city to the ground if they traded Simmons/Embiid. Maybe if Porzingis/Giannis aren't happy with the direction their teams are taking, but even they are starting to set roots in those cities.

• Like 1