• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are we forced to sign or match THJ this off season ?

JTB

Now that the draft is over and we are heading to free agency the starting SG position is still a mystery unless we have a top priority in resigning THJ that us fans don't know about but as far as our other SGs go that are currently on the roster Baze, Bembry, our new rookie Tyler Dorsey I don't believe any are capable of being starters right now.

Further more looking ahead at this years 2017 free agency there aren't really any real options for starting SGs...the few out there aren't likely to sign with us other than THJ who I would consider the 3rd best SG in free agency available and though he's restricted the speculation is that the Hawks may or may not match an high offer that some believe THJ will get so that makes him even more of a target for teams that need a SG to go after.

A look at SGs available for 2017:

http://hoopshype.com/2017/06/15/nba-free-agency-2017-shooting-guards/

Moving on allow me to get to my point (I'm a long threaded poster, can't help it)....I titled this thread are we forced to sign or match THJ this off season because  after looking ahead at next years free agency 2018 I see that we are facing the same issue of not really having many capable starting SGs in free agency to sign (atleast I don't see them as starters). Avery Bradley is the best one that will be available if he doesn't receive some kind of extension. There's others that are intriguing coming off their rookie contracts but they are restricted and likely without a doubt will be resigning or matched by their current team.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/09/2018-nba-free-agents.html

The point is I see THJ more valuable than I originally thought! At first I just wanted him back...but looking ahead I think we NEED him back. And before someone says we'll just draft a starting SG remember that bud is known to not play rookies at any position. So we could be looking at acquiring starting SG long term if we let THJ walk.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:

Now that the draft is over and we are heading to free agency the starting SG position is still a mystery unless we have a top priority in resigning THJ that us fans don't know about but as far as our other SGs go that are currently on the roster Baze, Bembry, our new rookie Tyler Dorsey I don't believe any are capable of being starters right now.

Further more looking ahead at this years 2017 free agency there aren't really any real options for starting SGs...the few out there aren't likely to sign with us other than THJ who I would consider the 3rd best SG in free agency available and though he's restricted the speculation is that the Hawks may or may not match an high offer that some believe THJ will get so that makes him even more of a target for teams that need a SG to go after.

A look at SGs available for 2017:

http://hoopshype.com/2017/06/15/nba-free-agency-2017-shooting-guards/

Moving on allow me to get to my point (I'm a long threaded poster, can't help it)....I titled this thread are we forced to sign or match THJ this off season because  after looking ahead at next years free agency 2018 I see that we are facing the same issue of not really having many capable starting SGs in free agency to sign (atleast I don't see them as starters). Avery Bradley is the best one that will be available if he doesn't receive some kind of extension. There's others that are intriguing coming off their rookie contracts but they are restricted and likely without a doubt will be resigning or matched by their current team.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/09/2018-nba-free-agents.html

The point is I see THJ more valuable than I originally thought! At first I just wanted him back...but looking ahead I think we NEED him back. And before someone says we'll just draft a starting SG remember that bud is known to not play rookies at any position. So we could be looking at acquiring starting SG long term if we let THJ walk.

Price makes the difference.   I think we have nurtured THJr in our system and that's a plus.  I believe he's a great scorer that needs some seasoning.   However, if he is overpriced, we still  have baze and bellinelli. 

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Belinelli and Bazemore--ie, on a team with a goal of only being a playoff team--reduces any need to panic and re-sign THJr if he gets too pricey. It's a good situation to be in, because you can relax and sign him if you like the value, and if you don't, you don't.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

We are forced to sign him, match or lose him for nothing.  Like Stuart says, letting him walk is probably not off the table.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Price makes the difference.   I think we have nurtured THJr in our system and that's a plus.  I believe he's a great scorer that needs some seasoning.   However, if he is overpriced, we still  have baze and bellinelli. 

Forgot about Belineli already....still don't feel we have a starting SG with him or Baze but hey if we're in cruise mode I guess they'll do.

• Like 2

I see Timmy Jr. getting 16-18 million a year. Unless we get rid of Bazemore I don't see us paying that. 32-34 million (34% of our salary cap) for two average wings doesn't make much sense.

Also, Belinelli played the 4th most minutes on a championship team. You telling me he couldn't start on a fringe playoff team? He fits the Bud Ball system like a glove with his ball handling, passing, and elite shooting/cutting.

Hawks have Bellini, Bembry, Dorsey, and Gaze (if not traded) at SG. I'm assuming they don't match THJr at higher than $15mill/yr.

• Like 2

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, GameTime said:

I see Timmy Jr. getting 16-18 million a year. Unless we get rid of Bazemore I don't see us paying that. 32-34 million (34% of our salary cap) for two average wings doesn't make much sense.

Also, Belinelli played the 4th most minutes on a championship team. You telling me he couldn't start on a fringe playoff team? He fits the Bud Ball system like a glove with his ball handling, passing, and elite shooting/cutting.

He didn't start on a nonplayoff team last year if memory serves.  He is a solid backup.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, hazer said:

Hawks have Bellini, Bembry, Dorsey, and Gaze (if not traded) at SG.

Add to THjr two others whose draft rights we hold, Cordinier and Eriksson, and we have 7 options who would be listed somewhere on the depth chart at SG right now for 2017.

• Like 1

If Schlenk thinks an offer someone gives him takes away from the flexibility of the team going forward.m, he won't be matched. I'd bet on him not coming back. Someone will pay him too much. It doesn't sound like Schlenk is in the business of signing contracts out of desperation.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

In hindsight, if they hadn't been so anxious to get an agreement with D8, they maybe don't feel compelled to make a deal with Baze before Baze received an offer from elsewhere.

My opinion is that they'll wait for him to sign an offer sheet with someone else, then decide.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Add to THjr two others whose draft rights we hold, Cordinier and Eriksson, and we have 7 options who would be listed somewhere on the depth chart at SG right now for 2017.

Then again, they could sign me for the minimum to play shooting guard. It would be stupid, but its an option. (I'm more like an all-star towel guy).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skimaskway23 said:

Well Baze was being shopped so if we are able to move him I see us keeping thjr. Honestly I think we match whatever if millsap leaves either way. 

Yes.  This is what I see.  There were a lot of people wrong about the Hawks making the trade of the 2015 draft pick for Tim Hardaway Jr., and I think that fact is blinding the opinions of some on this deal.  Tim is 25 years old and can put the ball in the basket.  That has some value.  At his age, even if he signs a deal similar to what Kent Bazemore and Allen Crabbe got this past offseason, it will end up being a movable deal.  Anytime you have young assets like THJ, you need to try and keep them.  The Hawks probably miscalculated by not picking up the option year on his deal.  Had they done that, they could have possibly flipped him this season for more assets.  As it is, they will have to resign him to make it work.  If they let Paul go, I think they keep THJ.  I think he gets a 3 year deal and an opportunity to hit free agency again at the age of 27/28.  It might be a 2 plus 1 deal.  If a team offers him a 5 year deal though, they may move on and go with Bazemore and develop Bembry/Dorsey behind him.  If they can move Bazemore, they may go ahead and match any 5 year deal for THJ.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, CP61 said:

If Schlenk thinks an offer someone gives him takes away from the flexibility of the team going forward.m, he won't be matched. I'd bet on him not coming back. Someone will pay him too much. It doesn't sound like Schlenk is in the business of signing contracts out of desperation.

What is flexibility when you Historically can't draw free agents here??

Schlenk is going to have to learn the same lesson that every other GM had to learn... This is not a free agent destination.  His best bet is to develop players and trade. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yes.  This is what I see.  There were a lot of people wrong about the Hawks making the trade of the 2015 draft pick for Tim Hardaway Jr., and I think that fact is blinding the opinions of some on this deal.  Tim is 25 years old and can put the ball in the basket.  That has some value.  At his age, even if he signs a deal similar to what Kent Bazemore and Allen Crabbe got this past offseason, it will end up being a movable deal.  Anytime you have young assets like THJ, you need to try and keep them.  The Hawks probably miscalculated by not picking up the option year on his deal.  Had they done that, they could have possibly flipped him this season for more assets.  As it is, they will have to resign him to make it work.  If they let Paul go, I think they keep THJ.  I think he gets a 3 year deal and an opportunity to hit free agency again at the age of 27/28.  It might be a 2 plus 1 deal.  If a team offers him a 5 year deal though, they may move on and go with Bazemore and develop Bembry/Dorsey behind him.  If they can move Bazemore, they may go ahead and match any 5 year deal for THJ.  

I think that there are a lot of people that hate on Baze...but now that Coach Bud is back to coaching fulltime, if he can get the right ingredients, I think Baze and Prince makes a really good defensive combo.  THJr maybe out simply because we prolly traded Dwight for Belli.  If that be the case, then let's not Waste a bad trade by not using Belli to BU the 3 and the 2 position.

The only thing interesting about Bembry is that we drafted him.  If he were on somebody else team, he would not get a mention.   That says to me that he doesn't really move the needle.  He can use more seasoning in the D league. 

Sap could go anywhere, but we are the only team that can give him 200 Million dollars.  For that reason, I think he settles for an SNT.  If Schlenk is loyal to the Warriors, then we SNT Sap to an EC team.   Maybe Somebody's Melo dream comes true...

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Um. So, having flexibility has no effect on being able to make some trades you couldn't otherwise?

Now c'mon. You of all people.

18 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Schlenk is going to have to learn the same lesson that every other GM had to learn... This is not a free agent destination.  His best bet is to develop players and trade. 

Having tradeable contracts is how you trade. It's not all about free agents. If Hardaway doesn't play up to the deal he gets, then we would have to give up something valuable to get someone to take him. Like we did with Dwight. You have to draft and develop talent obviously which is why we will build through the draft, not by overpaying bench scorers. I like Hardaway as a high end sixth man, but he's going to get paid to start somewhere