• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's Bud's future?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Was Bud's coachng dependent on Korver?

Can Bud win with a convention team?

By what date will Schlenk let Bud go and bring in Mike Brown?

I say Jan 25, 2018...  Right before the ASB.

• Like 1

I don't really think Bud has a future here.  It seems to me that Ressler and Schlenk have gone out of their way to make Bud as uncomfortable as they can.  Bud did not look like a happy man at the draft presser. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bud gone by your projected date, if not before.  Maybe Bud can get Pop's job when he is ready to retire.

I honestly do not care for Bud anymore. He could have gone to bat for Ferry, but instead just exploited a faux controversy and turned into a power grab for himself. Ferry's moves were brilliant, traded Joe and Marvin, got Milsap and Korver on the cheap, got Bazemore and JYD for pennies, drafted Schröder. He bought low and he sold high. But Bud saw his chance to have total control and couldn't pass that up. Bud's moves have been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster. Giving near max contacts to one dimensional players like Baze and Dwight. Refusing to part with Horford or Milsap at the deadline, even though we had solid offers, both times foolishly overuling Wilcox. Now we buy high and sell low. Even if he is a good coach, I don't think I will even have a high opinion of him again.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Said this about a week ago, when @JTB indicated he thought he detected a possible schism b/t Bud and the Colonel...

My mere speculation is that Bud indicated to Ressler that some changes needed to be made based on what he sensed and then heard from players in exit interviews.... and that, he also recognized that he was the wrong guy to be making at least one of those changes... given how enthusiastic he obviously had been when he signed Dwight, and then, given how he clearly had a different opinion of Dwight's value by the post-season. Hence, his stepping back from that role, and the hiring of a GM.

So, my working theory until evidence suggests otherwise, is that Bud was not only in favor, he was the original instigator that this needed to happen.

It remains to be seen if (a) this actually does signal rebuild and if (b) Bud is or is not in favor of that track.

I actually believe he's probably better for it (job security wise) if there's a rebuild simply because it lowers expectations.

• Like 2

@Diesel I don't understand your philosophy behind the mike brown next coach if bud gets fired?

schlenk just left a franchise where there was ball movement and Spurs like offense. I'm really going to question how smart Schlenk is if he hires an heavy ISO coach in mike brown...really?...Schlenk seems to really admire the way the warriors play so even if bud is fired which I doubt..I still don't expect heavy ISO coach mike brown to be his replacement.

i could care less that brown was an assistant coach for the warriors. He don't know offense and doesn't deserve any credit for what or who the Warriors are!

so what are you basing your prediction on with mike brown as the next head coach because he surely isn't a Spurs type coach so I'm just trying to understand why he is the 1st coach you believe is Buds replacement if we even get to that point?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

No but he does need real shooters and not the piss poor bunch from last season.

I think so.  He has had a number of fairly different rosters while he was here and won every year.

I hope this isn't a foregone conclusion.  Let's see how it plays out.  Schlenk is officially on my #*$& list the day he hires Mike Brown, though.

Hey I won with different teams too

th?id=OIP.0mPYfZs95XB2Ock3cOSfYQEsCm&pid

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

Was Bud's coachng dependent on Korver?

Can Bud win with a convention team?

By what date will Schlenk let Bud go and bring in Mike Brown?

I say Jan 25, 2018...  Right before the ASB.

Bud's system was dependent on shooters. When the shooting got bad, he got bad. Korver wasn't lighting up every night but you could always count on somebody having a big shooting night.

He could.

I think Bud will be around for a while unless him and Schlenk don't get along.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I honestly do not care for Bud anymore. He could have gone to bat for Ferry, but instead just exploited a faux controversy and turned into a power grab for himself. Ferry's moves were brilliant, traded Joe and Marvin, got Milsap and Korver on the cheap, got Bazemore and JYD for pennies, drafted Schröder. He bought low and he sold high. But Bud saw his chance to have total control and couldn't pass that up. Bud's moves have been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster. Giving near max contacts to one dimensional players like Baze and Dwight. Refusing to part with Horford or Milsap at the deadline, even though we had solid offers, both times foolishly overuling Wilcox. Now we buy high and sell low. Even if he is a good coach, I don't think I will even have a high opinion of him again.

I agree with all of this, except he should not trade Millsap and Horford, even if he had good offers. Wes wasn't a real GM and dealing our stars away would mean management doesn't care about the players.  So overruling Wes was good IMHO.

However, when Bud got total control he seemed to don't care about coaching anymore, keeping Bazemore in the starting lineup for too long (probably just because Bud needed to prove deserved that albatross contract he got), playing Muscala a lot while letting Humphries rot on the bench, and so on and so forth. Bud has cost us many games last season with all of his crap, and now we will probably lose Paul because, honestly, would he think we can win something with a coach like this?

So I also don't care for him anymore. If Millsap walks, then I do want Bud fired.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JTB said:

@Diesel I don't understand your philosophy behind the mike brown next coach if bud gets fired?

schlenk just left a franchise where there was ball movement and Spurs like offense. I'm really going to question how smart Schlenk is if he hires an heavy ISO coach in mike brown...really?...Schlenk seems to really admire the way the warriors play so even if bud is fired which I doubt..I still don't expect heavy ISO coach mike brown to be his replacement.

i could care less that brown was an assistant coach for the warriors. He don't know offense and doesn't deserve any credit for what or who the Warriors are!

so what are you basing your prediction on with mike brown as the next head coach because he surely isn't a Spurs type coach so I'm just trying to understand why he is the 1st coach you believe is Buds replacement if we even get to that point?

GMs usually take coaches who will follow their lead.  With all the talk of Healing going on in our front office, I believe that Wes and Bud had a fallout and Schlenk was brought in to be new rule.  So far Schlenk has did a lot of what Wes wanted (based on reports).  That tells me that it won't be long that Bud will be back in San Antonio.

Now... Why Brown?  He is somebody that Schlenk knows will do what he wants done.   Schlenk knows him and he knows Schlenk but more importantly, he will follow.  It's not about System.  It's not about is he the best coach.  It's will he follow?  Brown will. 

4 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Bud's system was dependent on shooters. When the shooting got bad, he got bad. Korver wasn't lighting up every night but you could always count on somebody having a big shooting night.

He could.

I think Bud will be around for a while unless him and Schlenk don't get along.

Bud's system needs shooters, but it depends more upon passing and spacing than pure shooting.  It is a system that can go multiple different directions, but the key component that must be there is the will to pass the ball to get a better shot.  Part of the spacing issues deal with player movement as well.  Last year, the ball movement declined partly because Dwight Howard wasn't nearly the passer that Al Horford was.  Graham Chappel at PTH had a good article on this issue recently: https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/5/23/15654962/atlanta-hawks-assist-numbers-drop-ball-movement

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, JTB said:

he surely isn't a Spurs type coach

Not sure we have a good idea of what kind of coach Mike Brown is, actually. He keeps coming into situations where the parameters are largely pre-defined for him, and he hasn't seemed to have had complete control in the way that most head coaches do.

Let's not forget... when Pop was hired, he held over two assistants from the Bob Hill era, and hired Mike Budenholzer. Later, when one of those two (Paul Pressey) left, Mike Brown was Pops' second hire. He was with SAS for three years.

Don't get me wrong--not advocating anything by that, but all of that is worth noting, imo.

There's probably nothing that could happen today--no FA signing, no trade, or anything in that realm--that could be more satisfying to me that to hear Bud talk, and to have new reason for confidence that he and Schlenk are going to be a good team.

• Premium Member

Mike Brown will not be Bud's replacement...this is just a typical pro-Bud scare tactic to get more posters to support Bud by presenting the scenario of Bud or some terrible coach. Same thing happened with the Falcons and Mike Smith. We will have plenty of better options vs the status quo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

Bud's system needs shooters, but it depends more upon passing and spacing than pure shooting.  It is a system that can go multiple different directions, but the key component that must be there is the will to pass the ball to get a better shot.  Part of the spacing issues deal with player movement as well.  Last year, the ball movement declined partly because Dwight Howard wasn't nearly the passer that Al Horford was.  Graham Chappel at PTH had a good article on this issue recently: https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/5/23/15654962/atlanta-hawks-assist-numbers-drop-ball-movement

Great point! Ball movement in that offense was underappreciated, especially coming from Pero and Korver. I loved when the bigs set screens too. 

46 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Maybe we can convince Mark Jackson to coach again :biggrin:

Mark Jackson is terrible. He was horrible in Golden State, fighting with management, not playing to his guys strengths. It was clearly evident when Steve Kerr arrived, how much Jackson had been holding them back.