• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So what is the plan?

Alex

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

When he says that we are going to be competitive... that's Code for... I'm going to give Bud a team full of HS players and if he can't win 30 games, he's my skapegoat. 

I may agree in 7 days. Check back. I'm not one whose ego gets any particular kick out of interpreting statements before behaviors fully support an interpretation, nor in that same vein do I revel in cynicism.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, sturt said:

I may agree in 7 days. Check back. I'm not one whose ego gets any particular kick out of interpreting statements before behaviors fully support an interpretation, nor in that same vein do I revel in cynicism.

I am Mr. Positivity until I see things that are blatantly wrong.. and this offseason has been BLATANTLY Wrong.

• Moderators

The plan seems to be to develop our young players, get some nice draft picks and build towards contending a few years down the road.  To that end, we get rid of older players who won't be ready for that kind of timeline and who will potentially block or be bad influences on the young guys.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I am Mr. Positivity until I see things that are blatantly wrong.. and this offseason has been BLATANTLY Wrong.

Last offseason was the worst offseason in Atlanta Hawks history, and they will pay for that.

• Premium Member

On 7/3/2017 at 11:14 AM, sturt said:

To the original question...

I think when the guy tells you he aims to be competitive, and he tells you that 30-something wins is "competitive," there's nothing insincere in what he's said in that particular vein. However, this news that he didn't even offer a contract to Sap is a black mark, given his assurances multiple times that he expected to make an offer. That's very disappointing, and I'm not sure how he can defend that.

And more precisely to the original question...

I know there were rumors for awhile last season that we were interested in Noel, so there is some reason to believe we could be making an offer there.

Just now (Wed mid day)...

2017-07-05_1130.png

Yes while it seems like rebuild mode has kicked off for the Hawks I'm holding my breath on that. Why? Well if Schlenk can somehow get Crowder, Will Barton, resign THJ, maybe even Willie Reed or illayasova back...to go with Dennis, Prince, Collins, Bazemore....that's easily a playoff team in the east with all good contracts for most players.....THEN that will show that Schlenk was telling the truth that the team is retooling and not rebuilding.

now am I expecting all these players of course not! I'm just saying we are a team that can be used as salary dump now and crowder and Barton are likely to get dumped. We own THJ rights and if he's not offered anything crazy we get him back easily. Centers like willie reed will come fairly cheap. 

My point is that Schlenk can still make this team young, flexible, and competitive enough in the east to make the playoffs and have a shit load of assets including draft picks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTB said:

My point is that Schlenk can still make this team young, flexible, and competitive enough in the east to make the playoffs and have a shit load of assets including draft picks.

Agree about still having a chance at the playoffs with those or similar moves because of that key word, East.

• Like 1

I don't get this fascination with the word flexible.  Does Schlenk even know what it means?  Do we even know what he means?  His vision or whatever he has isn't realistic.  It sounds good when you say it, but it's not something that is attainable.  

So far flexibility *seems* to mean:

1) Get DH tfo

2) Stockpile picks by renting out cap space since Hawks have no other real assets.

3) Wait until the dust settles in FA and the money dries up.

4) Try to reclear cap space by moving or buying out JC, renouncing exceptions, renouncing our own FAs, or some combination thereof.

5) Fill out the roster with young cheap players who might develop (Stone, Magette, Collins, Dorsey, etc) AND *potentially* still young vets on decent contracts (see smoke on Reed, Olinyk, etc).

6) Focus on developing young players more than on winning (see number two).

7) Have enough moveable contracts, picks, and cap space to strike for a real live player IF one comes available over the next three seasons (I wouldn't max Noel, but that's the type of situation).

8) Hope that some picks and players develop enough to become playoff-caliber (years away).

9) Then try to build an actual team.

Can't say that it's a terrible real-life plan given the current state of the team, but it's not one that should excite fans either tbh.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/3/2017 at 7:10 PM, sturt said:

There can never be a more worst offseason than one in which you give up Steve Smith for Isaiah Rider. Can't. Be.

Danny Manning Leaving after you traded Nique for him is up there. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't get this fascination with the word flexible.  Does Schlenk even know what it means?  Do we even know what he means?  His vision or whatever he has isn't realistic.  It sounds good when you say it, but it's not something that is attainable.  

We can have Flexibility but that only means, we'll have more money to take in other teams bad contracts. 

• Like 1