• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Little Goldie should be traded.

Diesel

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

Ignore that this is a Diesel trade idea... and just think about the trade itself. IF Fox is as good as Calipari says, and remember that he paid John Wall and Derrick Rose very well to play for him, then why not make that trade? Worst case scenario Fox stinks and we're getting a very high lottery pick. Is that so much worse than the likelihood that this year we'll probably end up somewhere in the lottery anyway? What if Fox is actually as good as he may be? He is already more of a prototypical PG than Dennis and that's what I would prefer to build the team around. Plus he's got 20 lbs on Dennis already and 2" in height and almost the same wingspan. Oh and he's A LOT cheaper for the next 4+ years at least. 

I hear ya, but the time to make that trade was on Draft night when Sacto was looking to deal #5 AND #10 in an attempt to move up in the Draft to get Fox. I bet they would've gladly taken Shcro for those 2 lottery picks before Fox fell to them. That would've given us 5, 10, and 19 in this Draft. If Schlenk knew we were rebuilding anyway, why not start from a better spot than the bottom???

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

I hear ya, but the time to make that trade was on Draft night when Sacto was looking to deal #5 AND #10 in an attempt to move up in the Draft to get Fox. I bet they would've gladly taken Shcro for those 2 lottery picks before Fox fell to them. That would've given us 5, 10, and 19 in this Draft. If Schlenk knew we were rebuilding anyway, why not start from a better spot than the bottom???

I hear ya but I seriously doubt Dennis would land us 3 draft picks 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JTB said:

I hear ya but I seriously doubt Dennis would land us 3 draft picks 

He only said the 5 and 10 but I doubt those were available for Dennis.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Diesel said:

Is Dennis a Franchise PG?  Do you see him ever leading us through the playoffs to an ECF?  IF we're cutting players from the team that makes us "Competitive" in the future... then this is a perfect time to get a PG who can be those things.

Keeping Dennis is like Orlando holding on Scott Skiles instead of trading Webber for Penny Hardaway. 

Skiles was a pretty good PG but he was not the guy who would take the franchise Forward and their GM had the foresight to see that that guy was Penny Hardaway. '

Goldie is good, however, if the only reason that we hold on to him is because he's exciting then we have no foresight. 

The GM said that he wants to build an exciting team.  So is the GM lying again?

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The GM said that he wants to build an exciting team.  So is the GM lying again?

Surely, the GM wouldn't lie??

All I know is that, Nobody here can honestly say that they see Dennis taking us to the ECF as our PG.   Not to mention the finals.   He's merely a stop gap... a bandaid.  Instead of us pouring money into Dennis, let's just find the real PG of the future and let him grow with our team. 

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, DBac said:

How many great teams have been built with PGs that can't shoot at all? Odd target

How many NBA finals teams did Jason Kidd play for?

Then there was Walt Frazier. 

Gary Payton has made it to the finals a few times. 

Being able to shoot from distance is not something that is a requirement to go far in the playoffs for a PG.  However, being able to run an offense is most definitely a trait that all championship PGs ought to have.  When you hear names like Magic, Isaiah, Steph... those guys are in that mix.. not mainly for their shooting, but because they can run an offense. 

53 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Surely, the GM wouldn't lie??

All I know is that, Nobody here can honestly say that they see Dennis taking us to the ECF as our PG.   Not to mention the finals.   He's merely a stop gap... a bandaid.  Instead of us pouring money into Dennis, let's just find the real PG of the future and let him grow with our team. 

Dennis is the only thing this franchise has going for them right now.  And he was 1 of only 3 players that showed up for the playoffs last season.   He has my UNCONDITIONAL SUPPORT until he proves that he's more of a liability, than an asset.

Now that he's officially "the man", let's see how he handles it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

How many NBA finals teams did Jason Kidd play for?

Then there was Walt Frazier. 

Gary Payton has made it to the finals a few times. 

Being able to shoot from distance is not something that is a requirement to go far in the playoffs for a PG.  However, being able to run an offense is most definitely a trait that all championship PGs ought to have.  When you hear names like Magic, Isaiah, Steph... those guys are in that mix.. not mainly for their shooting, but because they can run an offense. 

Fox is more likely to be Ricky Rubio /Rajon Rondo than any of those guys. That's not worth Dennis and a pick.

PGs need to be able to shoot 3s nowadays, whether it's as a 3nD type that you pair with your main guy (George Hill, Mario Chalmers, Patrick Beverley) or a pure scorer (Kyrie, Steph, IT). 

7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Dennis is the only thing this franchise has going for them right now.  And he was 1 of only 3 players that showed up for the playoffs last season.   He has my UNCONDITIONAL SUPPORT until he proves that he's more of a liability, than an asset.

Now that he's officially "the man", let's see how he handles it.

Boy that's a sad commentary.

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Watchman said:

How many have been built with PGs that can't pass?

Finding PGs who pass worse or no better than Dennis on championship teams is like shooting fish in a barrell.

Chicago Bulls had several very unimpressive passers manning the point during their championship years.  Ron Harper 2.5 apg, BJ Armstrong 3.0 apg, John Paxson 3.6 apg

The Heat won rings with Mario Chalmers.  3.5 apg

The Cavs won a ring with Matthew Delladova who is not noted for his passing.  4.4 apg

Derek Fisher from the Lakers has never been considered an impressive passer.  2.5 apg (5th among starters in the playoffs at least one year, lol)

I'm not bothering going back further than that.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Finding PGs who pass worse or no better than Dennis on championship teams is like shooting fish in a barrell.

Chicago Bulls had several very unimpressive passers manning the point during their championship years.  Ron Harper 2.5 apg, BJ Armstrong 3.0 apg, John Paxson 3.6 apg

The Heat won rings with Mario Chalmers.  3.5 apg

The Cavs won a ring with Matthew Delladova who is not noted for his passing.  4.4 apg

Derek Fisher from the Lakers has never been considered an impressive passer.  2.5 apg (5th among starters in the playoffs at least one year, lol)

I'm not bothering going back further than that.

Interesting that all the teams you mentioned had a de facto PG playing in another position.  Jordan, Wade, James and Kobe.

• Moderators
Just now, Watchman said:

Interesting that all the teams you mentioned had a de facto PG playing in another position.  Jordan, Wade, James and Kobe.

James is the only one of those that remotely qualifies as a PG, IMO.  The other three are deadly scorers first and able passers second.  I don't think Dennis will be able to replicate the scoring efficiency of any of those guys at their peak but he should be able to develop into a passer of the same level as the non-James players there.

Many of the best passing PGs in the game have had trouble winning rings as the best players on their team.  Here are the top 5 assist guys all-time 

• Stockton (never won a ring)
  • Kidd (won a ring as a role player but couldn't at his prime)
  • Nash (never won a ring)
  • Mark Jackson (never won a ring)
  • Magic Johnson (won rings)

Conversely, the top scorers:

• Kareem (rings)
  • Malone (never won a ring)
  • Bryant (rings)
  • Jordan (rings)
  • Wilt (rings)