• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks interested in Kelly Olynyk

GameTime

So we can just tell Moose that look, we love that you tried to grow you hair out and the top knot is cool and all but look we really need someone who looks like he's from Mississippi in the 80's to anchor our team at the 5. Keep using that Mane and Tail and taking your vitamins and get back to us next year with a full man mullet and we'll see what we can do for you. 

• Like 4

If folks want Moose here thats ok with limited minutes as a backup but Oly is not the same player, he does mix it up with varying yet average at best results but at least he still tries it. Moose in comparison is a candy wrapper that can shoot well from distance. Don't see them as one or the other, wouldn't be to difficult to have them both here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DS5 said:

I'd rather get Moose and Zaza back. I think those 2 combined will be cheaper than Olynyk. 

The market for centers this off season has been a bust.  You can probably get both Moose and Olynyk for relatively cheap.  Maybe the Nets will pony up for one of them.  I don't know.  I do know that salary cap space is very limited right now, and that benefits the Hawks in this situation because they now have cap space.  And the Nets just signed Otto Porter to a big offer sheet, though Washington will match that.  I would imagine the Nets next focus will be on KCP who may get a near max/max deal out of this, which is just absolutely ridiculous considering that his production to this point doesn't warrant that kind of deal.

It may be in Olynyk's best interest to sign a 2+1 or 3 year deal and time his next free agency right around the time that a lot of these three year contracts that were signed this off season come off the books.  Heck, the Hawks may very well be able to get Tim Hardaway Jr back on a cheaper deal as well.

Think about that for a moment.  If you are able to add a 27 year old Jae Crowder for a first round pick, sign a 26 year old Kelly Olynyk to a 3 year deal, and resign 26 year old Mike Muscala and 25 year old Tim Hardaway Jr to 3 year deals, then that is a great off season after this could have been a disasterous off season had they decided to go into the tank.

7 minutes ago, Thomas said:

If folks want Moose here thats ok with limited minutes as a backup but Only is not the same player, he does mix it up with varying results but at least still does it. Moose in comparison is a candy wrapper that can shoot well from distance. Don't see them as one or the other, wouldn't be to difficult to have them both here.

Please can we get Zaza and Olynyk. The 2 of them are probably the best dirty players who don't get caught being dirty nearly enough in the entire league. We'd have a hell of a lot of entertaining games with those two. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The market for centers this off season has been a bust.  You can probably get both Moose and Olynyk for relatively cheap.  Maybe the Nets will pony up for one of them.  I don't know.  I do know that salary cap space is very limited right now, and that benefits the Hawks in this situation because they now have cap space.  And the Nets just signed Otto Porter to a big offer sheet, though Washington will match that.  I would imagine the Nets next focus will be on KCP who may get a near max/max deal out of this, which is just absolutely ridiculous considering that his production to this point doesn't warrant that kind of deal.

It may be in Olynyk's best interest to sign a 2+1 or 3 year deal and time his next free agency right around the time that a lot of these three year contracts that were signed this off season come off the books.  Heck, the Hawks may very well be able to get Tim Hardaway Jr back on a cheaper deal as well.

Think about that for a moment.  If you are able to add a 27 year old Jae Crowder for a first round pick, sign a 26 year old Kelly Olynyk to a 3 year deal, and resign 26 year old Mike Muscala and 25 year old Tim Hardaway Jr to 3 year deals, then that is a great off season after this could have been a disasterous off season had they decided to go into the tank.

Crowder, Olynyk, Moose, and THjr do not a great offseason make. Only one of those players makes us better. The next 2 are ok as bench players but they'll get you roasted as starters, and the last guy we honestly have no idea what we have in him. 

Certainly a way to sell some tickets and probably even help win a few games with Zaza and Oly here. Zaza probably has a cult following here so thats an advantage right there with tickets.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sothron said:

We got rid of one soft center in Horford. We damn sure don't need the lesser and even softer white version of him in Olynyk. Let the Nets fall on that grenade. I absolutely do not want that soft as charmin "big man" on our team.

Wasn't Olynyk the one who jerked someone's shoulder out?  He might play dirty, but maybe not so soft

1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

Crowder, Olynyk, Moose, and THjr do not a great offseason make. Only one of those players makes us better. The next 2 are ok as bench players but they'll get you roasted as starters, and the last guy we honestly have no idea what we have in him. 

Olynyk is a definite starter in the NBA.  He was a starter on an ECF team.  He can play, regardless of what your predetermined notions of being a starting quality player is.  He's far better than a majority of the lottery picks that have been drafted recently.

28 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Wasn't Olynyk the one who jerked someone's shoulder out?  He might play dirty, but maybe not so soft

Kevin Love remembers that shoulder pulling incident really well.

Just now, KB21 said:

Olynyk is a definite starter in the NBA.  He was a starter on an ECF team.  He can play, regardless of what your predetermined notions of being a starting quality player is.  He's far better than a majority of the lottery picks that have been drafted recently.

My predetermined notions? I guarantee you won't find a single member of this site who BEGGED more for the Hawks to draft Olynyk a few years ago. I've watched him a lot and he's not someone you're going to win a championship with nor is he any part of the reason the Celtics made the ECF. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Watchman said:

He's definitely not soft.  Just because he can shoot doesn't mean he is soft.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

When he used to wear that hairnet looking thingy, my wife and I referred to him as the "lunch room lady" but he abandoned that look last year in favor of the man bun plus beard.  I'm ok with getting him, if he doesn't cost too much.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

The more you post the more I wonder if we watch the same sport. He's soft as butter. Why do you think the Boston fans are happy that he's leaving and they are looking for a real big man?

I'd say he doesn't play tough but is much more likely than Moose to be productive amongst rugged opposition.  Before checking the stats I would've bet confidently that Olynk weighed more than Moose and would've lost.

You get encouraged when a role player has a signature playoff game (Molly Mike, Biyombo, Olynk) that may be a harbinger of what they could bring.  Fact is they rarely ever live up to it afterward.  I thought Olynk would be an early FA target in this stretch 4 atmosphere but alas he ain't.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1