• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CViv no longer Hawks beat writer

Bankingitbig

Also, what a terrible farewell piece.  All he's going to miss is the free shampoo and soap sounds like. You can tell covering the Hawks was more an obligation for him than something he truly enjoyed. 

Who said goodbye worse?  Him or Al?  Toss up for me. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Happier trails to C-Viv. He had some health issues pop-up in recent months, so I do hope he can work through that.

Since his last run as Hawks beat writer ended, MC's work as a commentator in the print versions of AJC (goes back a ways at http://mikecheck.blog.myajc.com/) were often of the Debbie Downer variety, no matter which team was the target of his oft-groveling ire. I hope he'll be able to provide more incisive content going forward, even if it's not upbeat.

I had long suspected that MC's inability to get useful feedback and commentary from the Hawks players and staff during the Joe Cool era (specifically, from Josephat himself) wore him down, a "get me outta here," reaction that dragged C-Viv in from the ashes of Thrasherville to supplant him. The new cast of characters on the floor and in the front office may be more to his liking as a beat reporter. His grasp of analytical measures is already a relative win for the AJC.

~lw3

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

@sturt with his second official call this offseason.  First Brussino, now he calls out C-Viv and he's gone. This is getting Godfather level type scary. Don't worry man, I'd never say anything bad about you!

giphy.gif

(Mr. Schlenk, if you're reading this, do you like horses?)

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Happier trails to C-Viv. He had some health issues pop-up in recent months, so I do hope he can work through that.

Since his last run as Hawks beat writer ended, MC's work as a commentator in the print versions of AJC (goes back a ways at http://mikecheck.blog.myajc.com/) were often of the Debbie Downer variety, no matter which team was the target of his oft-groveling ire. I hope he'll be able to provide more incisive content going forward, even if it's not upbeat.

I had long suspected that MC's inability to get useful feedback and commentary from the Hawks players and staff during the Joe Cool era (specifically, from Josephat himself) wore him down, a "get me outta here," reaction that dragged C-Viv in from the ashes of Thrasherville to supplant him. The new cast of characters on the floor and in the front office may be more to his liking as a beat reporter. His grasp of analytical measures is already a relative win for the AJC.

~lw3

Wish bad health on no one, so I concur. But of course if one is well enough to write, one seemingly is well enough to ask questions and write about what, if any, answers were received.

Good luck to C-Viv.

And for the record, I honestly was just now getting ready to write to the editor who's name I discovered yesterday.

It just so happened that there is a massive and-I-do-mean-massive internet outage for all... yes, all... of my home ISP's Texas customers, and it's been that way for most of the last 24 hours. I'm sitting here at a public library having given up hope, and just finished catching up on work e-mails.

• Moderators

https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/368035-mc-vs-jjwhat-happened/

Just a glimpse back into MC's burnout phase in 2012 with Joe and the Hawks.

Corey Robinson  @Sultan_of_atl

@ajchawks MC did Joe step on your foot or something this week? You've been killing him and the remarks have a personal dislike tone. Wassup

25m Posted ImageMichael Cunningham  @ajchawks

@Sultan_of_atl never personal. evaluating his play and his comments. neither have been very good.

~lw3

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

@sturt with his second official call this offseason.  First Brussino, now he calls out C-Viv and he's gone. This is getting Godfather level type scary. Don't worry man, I'd never say anything bad about you!

Yeah, but the ultimate belongs to someone back in 2004 or 2005 (I can't remember who it was, or their exact words, but searching seems to generate a lot of false leads).  Someone wished that Jason Collier would die, and within a matter of months or weeks, Collier did die.  That my friends is power.

33 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I thought he did a good job. I like fair minded beat writers. If you guys are looking for shock jocks trying to make a name for themselves by ginning up fake controversies then you're in luck, because there is never a short supply of those.

C-Viv was awful. He was about as exciting as moss...