• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schröder watch

TheNorthCydeRises

He's not a bust, but what he is just rubs people wrongly/wasn't what he was cracked up to be in Germany. He is what he is at this point and can continue getting better at that, an aggressive dribble penetration guard that sometimes facilitates and has improved by leaps and bounds as a scorer. 

My biggest issue outside of the off the court stuff that might bother me (I need to know more) is his off ball defense is absolute trash. Everyone takes advantage of it as it is well known.

But anything others think they know about Dennis is wrong...:}...his efficiency is not bad at all but he has the rep of having bad efficiency. 

13 minutes ago, ISOJOE said:

Because he has to do EVERYTHING on offense.

People don't realize this, but that run last night started the SECOND Dennis left the game in that 3rd quarter.  Left the game with the team up 8.  Came back into the game with the team down 3, with Kemba on the FT line about to make it a 6 point deficit.    And the bleeding didn't stop until HE made a shot.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Why can't he defend better? You would think he has the quickness to harass guys.

I personally don’t agree with those who think he is a bad defender. On ball he can really lock in and the only thing he truly struggles with is screens which I don’t know what he can do about other than gaining muscle.

everything else is just a matter of focusing more.

• Like 3

Having to do everything on offense is no excuse for not bothering to put in the effort on defense. Yes, carrying a huge load on offense can tire you out, but there was a few cases during Charlotte's 24-0 run once Dennis came back in after rest, where he wasn't even close to trying to defend Kemba off of the ball. His attempted closures didn't reek of "he was tired", it reeked of "I didn't care to try".

And it wasn't that he didn't know where Kemba was. He knew. He would look and go back to ball watching until he saw the pass. His on ball defense is fine but his off ball defense quite honestly gets a F-.

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Having to do everything on offense is no excuse for not bothering to put in the effort on defense. Yes, carrying a huge load on offense can tire you out, but there was a few cases during Charlotte's 24-0 run once Dennis came back in after rest, where he wasn't even close to trying to defend Kemba off of the ball. His attempted closures didn't reek of "he was tired", it reeked of "I didn't care to try".

And it wasn't that he didn't know where Kemba was. He knew. He would look and go back to ball watching until he saw the pass. His on ball defense is fine but his off ball defense quite honestly gets a F-.

While his defense needs work he has given flashes of being able to defend. Now, if you don't  think having to carry the load on offense can tire you out, there's nothing to really say.  This team losses by 20 a night without him even with his issues.

53 minutes ago, deester11 said:

While his defense needs work he has given flashes of being able to defend. Now, if you don't  think having to carry the load on offense can tire you out, there's nothing to really say.  This team losses by 20 a night without him even with his issues.

There's a fine line between being tired and not giving effort and Dennis was the latter in that game. He wasn't even trying off of the ball.

I personally disagree with you lurker.

Hes a really good on ball defender. Kemba can't hit one shot with Dennis on him.

And off the ball he is hella bad. But it's not effort. As mentioned before its focus. They have to teach him to stop focusing on the ball on d. His problem is that most of the times he's thinking someone's bout to shoot. From that moment he's just a spectator until he realizes "oh f*ck he ain't shootin" and than its most of the times too late to close out on his opponent again. 

Its really a focus problem. It just seems like he's lacking effort because he often won't try to come back at his defender because it's senseless.

• Like 2

I am not Diesel, I'm just telling the truth. It's in everyone's scouting report to take advantage of Dennis off of the ball and they do so effectively. He gives up at least 20 points per game off of the ball, if not more. 

Diesel thinks Dennis is a massive bust. I don't.

One persistent problem I've noticed with players left over from that 60 win season is they still show the old habits of that overload defense where they cheat off their guy and collapse towards the paint.

Teams eventually caught on to that and started baiting us more and more to help on D and then rotate the ball to the weak side 

We changed our defensive philosophy a couple seasons ago it to counter that but I'd always still see Korver, Dennis, Kent and others out of position from time to time because their instinct would go back to old habits whereas the rest of the guys on the floor are doing something different. It's why we have consistently struggled to defend the 3-PT line under Bud because a lot of guys are hyper eager to sink down on the dribble.

Most of that team is gone obviously. With he new additions you see it less and less, But yeah you definitely notice Dennis ball watching a lot still. And all it takes is one player out of position to find a wide open shot

Edited by RedDawg#8

vor einer Stunde, Lurker sagte:

I am not Diesel, I'm just telling the truth. It's in everyone's scouting report to take advantage of Dennis off of the ball and they do so effectively. He gives up at least 20 points per game off of the ball, if not more. 

Diesel thinks Dennis is a massive bust. I don't.

I don't say that you are totally wrong but you describe it a little too polemically imo. It's certainly an issue but if I remember correctly he was way more focused off the ball during the POs.