• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Prepare for the worst on Collins

TheNorthCydeRises

58 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Pretty sure D'Angelo Russell wasn't selected # 2 in the draft because of his athleticism.

Yea, lol. Russell isn't athletic at all. He's tremendously skilled but his lack of burst is what is holding him back from all-star level. Some of these hot takes man.

55 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Yea, lol. Russell isn't athletic at all. He's tremendously skilled but his lack of burst is what is holding him back from all-star level. Some of these hot takes man.

Precisely, that was the biggest knock on him coming out of Ohio State.  We could honestly say that Doncic is comparable to a taller Russell. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/12/2017 at 11:24 AM, KB21 said:

Well, there's why you see so many mistake picks made in the top 3.  Athleticism got Andrew Wiggins drafted #1.  He's a terrible player all around.  Athleticism got D'Angelo Russell drafted #2.  Another bad player who has already been traded.  Michael Kidd-Gilchrist....the list goes on and on.

Doncic doesn't compare to any of the ones you mentioned from a skill standpoint nor an athletic standpoint.  

Mistakes are made when teams see the athleticism and gamble that they can develop the players' skills later. When you are picking 18-19 year old players it will always be a gamble regardless of athleticism. The amount of mental fortitude, maturity, discipline, work ethic, and a host of other intangibles that is necessary to become a superstar is truly unmeasurable. However, athleticism, like height is a baseline in this league and sport. If you don't have the elite athleticism the odds of becoming and elite player are slim to say the least. I'm not sure Doncic has it, but he does have the height and he does have the skills. I think he will be a fine player but I doubt he reaches superstar status. Bagley and Ayton are viewed as higher cieling players because their height, body and athleticism are pretty much something you don't see very often in any draft. Their skills for their age also show a lot of potential to improve. The key with them will always be if they have the mental strength and discipline to truly become great pros. No scout can know this, which is why this thing is always a crapshoot.

• Like 1

Russell wasn't a high pick because of his athleticism lmfao. He was a high pick because of his offensive game and people thinking he could be similar to Steph. 

You lose every last bit of your credibility if you seriously think it was athleticism that got him drafted high.

What's held him back is not all tools, run and jump ability, and no skill to compliment, but him being very immature.

Edited by Lurker

Russell has been very open about modeling his game after Ginobli because he's a crafty player who isn't a great athlete. To say that Russell was drafted for his athleticism is just strange. Lacking athleticism was one of his main knocks along with immaturity concerns and defensive capability. Lying to prove a point isn't worth it. 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Russell wasn't a high pick because of his athleticism lmfao. He was a high pick because of his offensive game and people thinking he could be similar to Steph. 

You lose every last bit of your credibility if you seriously think it was athleticism that got him drafted high.

What's held him back is not all tools, run and jump ability, and no skill to compliment, but him being very immature.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/russell-westbrook

11 hours ago, Guard said:

Russell has been very open about modeling his game after Ginobli because he's a crafty player who isn't a great athlete. To say that Russell was drafted for his athleticism is just strange. Lacking athleticism was one of his main knocks along with immaturity concerns and defensive capability. Lying to prove a point isn't worth it. 

Which is strange because Ginobili blows him out of the water athletically at 40, let alone when Gino was in his prime.

On 12/6/2017 at 0:34 AM, NBASupes said:

James Harden quickness and strength with his ball handling and finishing ability is something he had out of ASU. This elite passer who can shoot out of this world is something he developed but he didn't come out of ASU with it. Doncic could develop but for now, we know he has the ability to be a very good offensive player right now in the NBA. His potential entirely depends on the system offensively but defensively, he will have to be protected. He covers as much ground as Kyle Korver defensively without anywhere near the defensive awareness of Kyle or understanding of systems and sets but then again, he's 18. No one at 18 has that but defensively, he will be a bad defender day 1. He's between average and below average defensively in Europe right now. 

I’m not worried about covering Doncic on defense, I KNOW bud can adjust the scheme/roster to do that . The number one thing this team has lacked for years is a potential superstar go to scorer! Don’t get me wrong Johnson and Sap were good for us but if Doncic can become a scoring weapon like a James harden I will let his poor defense get a pass as long as he puts effort in trying to defend.

Edited by JTB

4 hours ago, JTB said:

I’m not worried about covering Doncic on defense, I KNOW bud can adjust the scheme/roster to do that . The number one thing this team has lacked for years is a potential superstar go to scorer! Don’t get me wrong Johnson and Sap were good for us but if Doncic can become a scoring weapon like a James harden I will let his poor defense get a pass as long as he puts effort in trying to defend.

Bud couldn't hide Korver scheme wise the minute Al left town and Al covering for his Boston players too while Kyle defense is still getting exposed. 

31 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bud couldn't hide Korver scheme wise the minute Al left town and Al covering for his Boston players too while Kyle defense is still getting exposed. 

It wasn’t just Al. You act as if Millsap and DMC weren’t good defenders during that 60 win season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 8/12/2017 at 11:46 PM, Guard said:

I'll just say that Ginobli was a heck of an athlete when he was young. Not an elite athlete by NBA standards but much better than the average. Much quicker and with better hops than Doncic.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1