• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AmicoHoops: Travis wants a franchise player

NBASupes

Nice to hear but looking at the roster we already understood, Schlank.  Glad he doesn’t have any delusions of an All-NBA player coming here.  Only a few championship outliers since I’ve been alive and kicking have featured a team leader who wasn’t drafted there.  What the kids say today, “shoot your shot?”  Tank gotta shoot it’s .50 cal round.  It’s looking like perfect timing too with all the fanfare bubbling over the Top 3-5 prospects.  The season is even flying by with the early start and less timeouts.  I don’t fully understand the new changes to the top of the lottery but I believe it decreases our chances of getting screwed.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Just now, benhillboy said:

Glad he doesn’t have any delusions of an All-NBA player coming here.  Only a few championship outliers since I’ve been alive and kicking have featured a team leader who wasn’t drafted there.

As opposed to the delusion that you are assured of drafting that franchise, cornerstone player by intentionally losing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

As opposed to the delusion that you are assured of drafting that franchise, cornerstone player by intentionally losing.

That debate will last longer than we do.  With a good coach (only IMO, that’ll start a whole new debate!) and successful executive (less debatable) I’d rather ride in The Tank and fire.

• Like 1

Just now, benhillboy said:

That debate will last longer than we do.  With a good coach (only IMO, that’ll start a whole new debate!) and successful executive (less debatable) I’d rather ride in The Tank and fire.

So you would rather take a guaranteed 4+ year trek through hell when there are no assurances that you will be any better than what you already were on the other end?

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I don’t fully understand the new changes to the top of the lottery but I believe it decreases our chances of getting screwed.

The new changes to the lottery won't be happening this year but after this year it will be more likely that the teams at the top of the lottery fall and that teams lower in the lottery rise to the top.  If we have drafted a stud this year, it could help us get back to another high pick if our record is better but still not playoff level next season.  If we whiff this year and are near the bottom next year, it makes it more likely we will slide out of the top spots.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So you would rather take a guaranteed 4+ year trek through hell when there are no assurances that you will be any better than what you already were on the other end?

How do you come up with 4 years?  And look around the league, New Orleans and OKC just acquired 3 future Hall of Famers recently and are a losing collective with no realistic championship odds.  Again, gotta shoot the open shot available to you.  No crystal balls here.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

The new changes to the lottery won't be happening this year but after this year it will be more likely that the teams at the top of the lottery fall and that teams lower in the lottery rise to the top.  If we have drafted a stud this year, it could help us get back to another high pick if our record is better but still not playoff level next season.  If we whiff this year and are near the bottom next year, it makes it more likely we will slide out of the top spots.

Damn I thought it was this season.  Appreciate the info.  Y’all know I need help on any league happenings off the floor.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Damn I thought it was this season.  Appreciate the info.  Y’all know I need help on any league happenings off the floor.

It is probably good that it isn't happening this year.  If we finish with the 6th worst record or something, then we will be wishing that the changes impacted this year.  But if we finish with one of the 3 worst records, then our odds of getting a top pick are better this year than they would be next year.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

How do you come up with 4 years?  And look around the league, New Orleans and OKC just acquired 3 future Hall of Famers recently and are a losing collective with no realistic championship odds.  Again, gotta shoot the open shot available to you.  No crystal balls here.

Easily.  What team has ever taken this route where it did not take 4-5 years to become a playoff caliber team?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

Let's hope if we really draft a franchise player he's not trying to get out after his rookie contract to team up with other players lol. 

I hope that our franchise presents itself as a place you want to stay at. And hopefully the long drought of titles in Atlanta is somewhat of a goal to the next franchise player.

Collins is a very attractive piece in terms of enticing a(nother) stud to stay here.  A 30th ranked attendance and league irrelevance isn’t.

• Like 2

I said it once and will say it again. It has to be a combination of everything. Superstars are not worth what they once were because you need 2-3 of them.  Maybe we lowered our idea/expectations of what a superstar is. You have to build a solid team from top to bottom. What we can't do is become Memphis, Portland, Clippers etc teams stuck with bad contracts and no future unless a rookie plays out of their minds. We can't do anymore Bazemore type contracts where you overpay a guy who shouldn't even be starting and wouldn't be for 20-25 teams in this league.

Players like Bazemore get paid because it's the only way teams can maintain the quality of their roster without making additional trades. Look at Tristan Thompson for the Cavs. They had to pay up considering they didn't have cap to acquire a suitable replacement. When you don't pay up you look like Portland who's had a couple key contributors walk out the door with no compensation. Bazemore-like contracts can't kill you if you have a foundation worth locking in. Horford as our best player was out biggest problem, we'd need 4 more players of his quality to be a seriously contending team and that's hard to assemble.

Right now I think we've got 3 starters for the future in Schröder, Prince and Collins. We've got the making of an great bench behind them as well. We just need to get a SG and C and we'll be back in the playoffs within two seasons.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Players like Bazemore get paid because it's the only way teams can maintain the quality of their roster without making additional trades. Look at Tristan Thompson for the Cavs. They had to pay up considering they didn't have cap to acquire a suitable replacement. When you don't pay up you look like Portland who's had a couple key contributors walk out the door with no compensation. Bazemore-like contracts can't kill you if you have a foundation worth locking in. Horford as our best player was out biggest problem, we'd need 4 more players of his quality to be a seriously contending team and that's hard to assemble.

Right now I think we've got 3 starters for the future in Schröder, Prince and Collins. We've got the making of an great bench behind them as well. We just need to get a SG and C and we'll be back in the playoffs within two seasons.

You make a very good point talking about Portland.  I think we can easily become another Portland situation (which most bottom teams do) i.e. we get a good player, develop him and watch him leave.  I see us getting impatient like they did with Crabbe and not pay than overpay.  Our GM is not an overpayer.. so what do you think happens when Prince and Dennis' contracts come up?  Our GM is of the belief that he will find the next Curry in the draft.  It's a pipefitter's dream. 

1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

I don't know about the last sentence, but I 100% agree with the rest.

Very good stuff. Start with Menace, Fresh Printz, and J-Bap. Add an A-Tonn, Doncicci, or In-the-Bagley. Trade/sign a Grik Frik, Zinger, or Red Georgia Klay Thompson. Then you got something cookin’ in ‘19-‘20...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We got 3 pieces already on the team plus a good coach. If Travis makes a pick like he did with Collins at #19 then we should be excited for years to come. Let the two lemons keep on being sour. Anyone with a brain can see this team has a good future ahead of it.

• Like 4