• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Dude...get some help!

I'm trying to help you guys so your can lower your expectations based upon what is coming down the road.  This is going to be a very long, very miserable process that will not end the way you think it will end.  

That's what tanking does.  It guarantees you misery with no hope of competitiveness for several years.

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

I'm trying to help you guys so your can lower your expectations based upon what is coming down the road.  This is going to be a very long, very miserable process that will not end the way you think it will end.  

That's what tanking does.  It guarantees you misery with no hope of competitiveness for several years.

This sh-t is consuming you...get help! To me its just entertainment.  It appears to mean much more to you.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So what do the fan of Dallas think after they got blown out by 21?  Are they tanking too?  or it different?

@KB21 Will never respond to this because Dallas brought in a veteran (Deandre Jordan) to help them win, so they aren't tanking.  They are just a bad team by his logic, but whatevs.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, marco102 said:

@KB21 Will never respond to this because Dallas brought in a veteran (Deandre Jordan) to help them win, so they aren't tanking.  They are just a bad team by his logic, but whatevs.  

That's because I could care less about what Dallas fans think.  To me, the only team that is openly tanking is the Atlanta Hawks.  Bottom line.  Everyone else is at least going to see where the chips fall for them.  The Hawks have gone into the season with the intent to lose as many games as possible.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Looking at our roster of youngins, I can't say that any of them fit what you just described.  We are only year two into this tank and I believe the players have bought into the process.  You can see the competitiveness and decision making on the court and how guys communicate in interviews.  Guys like Vince, and Lin all understand their roles as mentors.  Trae, Collins, and Prince know their place belongs in the future. They all trust coach and what the organization is building towards.  We aren't the Kings, Nets, or Horncats that make bad decision after bad decision and are toxic organizations. We aren't the Sixers with Sam Hinkie that had a laundry list of head scratchers. We have a great culture and a roster full of team-first players. We have ownership that supports the team and knows their place. We have a GM that came from an organization that went from where we are at now to winning multiple championships. Trust me, if we get into year 5 of this tank and are still losing 50 games, then we'll all be off the bandwagon.  At least give it time.

I'd rather be where we are at and not know what our ceiling is than to remain competitive under a low ceiling.  If you aren't winning championships, then you are wasting your time being "competitive".  60 wins in the regular season doesn't mean shit. Winning the division or the conference doesn't mean shit.  There is no other point in sports other than to win championships and if you aren't winning championships, then you need to put yourself in the best situation to improve which in our case meant wiping the slate clean.  Honestly, where else do you realistically see the Hawks heading if we remained competitive with b-list talent? You really believe we could win it all with Horford, Sap, and Schröder?

I will say this.  If the Hawks get a Superstar it will be by draft or trade because none has ever signed in Atlanta.  A superstar that is drafted is a generational talent and I don't see any of those out there at this point.  

If we go the 5 years and don't get this Star and only are a top three seed then we go back into another 5 year rebuild?   I hope you can see where this is going.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I will say this.  If the Hawks get a Superstar it will be by draft or trade because none has ever signed in Atlanta.  A superstar that is drafted is a generational talent and I don't see any of those out there at this point.  

If we go the 5 years and don't get this Star and only are a top three seed then we go back into another 5 year rebuild?   I hope you can see where this is going.

Do you not think we were on a steep slope downhill anyway?

1. Horford was gone
  2. Teague was gone
  3. DMC was gone

The new "core" our team was going to cost way more than the salary cap and was:

• Sap starting down the wrong side of his career hill and on the verge of a major injury and ready to sign for $30M/yr
  • Dwight ready to be given away for nothing or cut by 3 teams and signed for $23M+/yr
  • THJr ready to be a good reserve, subpar starter earning $18M/yr
  • Baze already grossly overpaid and had made his leap
  • Schröder ready to be a good reserver, subpar starter earning $15M/yr
  • Prince / Bembry having had ok rookie seasons (the better of  the two averaged less than 6 points and 3 boards per game)

Seems to me we were on a Memphis Grizzlies path to sucking even if we didn't jettison most of our highly paid players.  This was not the Atlanta Hawks circa 2007-08.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vol4ever said:

Is it me or do players today sit out games for a scratch or hang nails? Smh 

The Hawks are sitting players to keep from winning games.  There's a difference.  These guys are nothing more than healthy scratches.  They are fabricating injuries.

• Like 1

• Moderators

As I said before, I’d rather tank the next 15 seasons to get a superstar than to root on another 60-win team that nobody believes in. No more fluff, I want substance... whatever it takes.

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, AHF said:

I think pssshhhrrr would distinguish between being competitive and being a contender.  One being enough to make the playoffs but not enough to threaten a ring.  The other being legit in the mix for a ring.  

Exactly. I want a contender and a team that I believe in. If this means suffering through some ugly basketball for a few seasons, then so be it.  Regular season wins without playoff success are pointless, hollow victories and that's what we have had for the last decade.

As bad as the Hawks looked in game one, time to win a game tonight.  Gotta get win #1 sometime.  May as well be tonight against another not too good team.

Hawks looking forward to getting all their players healthy and raring to go!

:approved:

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

As I said before, I’d rather tank the next 15 seasons to get a superstar than to root on another 60-win team that nobody believes in. No more fluff, I want substance... whatever it takes.

You are going to be highly frustrated and disappointed.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

You are going to be highly frustrated and disappointed.

As opposed to what, exactly? Being highly frustrated and disappointed that our team couldn't get past the first or second round?

I would tank for infinity to get a true superstar to then build around. You don't win rings in the NBA without a superstar.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

As opposed to what, exactly? Being highly frustrated and disappointed that our team couldn't get past the first or second round?

I would tank for infinity to get a true superstar to then build around. You don't win rings in the NBA without a superstar.

I would like for my team to be competitive into the playoffs.   I agree wholeheartedly that you have to have that Superstar buy I just don't see that happening anytime soon.  Heck I would like to turn on the TV and us be one of the better teams instead of turning on and know that we completely suck and one of the worst teams in the league.  

9 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I would like for my team to be competitive into the playoffs.   I agree wholeheartedly that you have to have that Superstar buy I just don't see that happening anytime soon.  Heck I would like to turn on the TV and us be one of the better teams instead of turning on and know that we completely suck and one of the worst teams in the league.  

Yep.  It's much better watching this team when you go into every game knowing you have a chance to win.  This team, there are very few games where you know they have a chance to win.  

• Like 1