If BIG IF, If Bud leaves and we are well compensated, who should we bring in

NBASupes

My List: 

Fitzdale

Mark Jackson

Nick Nurse 

David Blatt

Ettore Mussina 

Promote Darvin Ham, keep the system and development track. My favorite option. 

Chris Fleming 

David Vanterpool

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/presents18986226/five-nba-coaching-prospects-watch

https://sports.yahoo.com/set-sidelines-nba-executives-weigh-next-generation-head-coaches-165549990.html

I like Messina then Blatt....Mark Jackson (is kinda on my list then he’s not) he isn’t a terrible coach he just doesn’t have an offense scheme which is extremely critical in today’s game.

if Jackson could prove he has some kind of offensive scheme  I’d be all for him coming to Atlanta 

and I guess fitzdale ...he seems to be getting a lot of attention in the nba world right now so why not 

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

My top 5: 

1. Ham - I liked what I saw from him in summer league. Not as good as Kenny was in Atlanta but really understands player development and is critical to handling personalities. Not the best HC potential but he's good for now. I think he has the same potential as an HC as Mark Jackson has. Don't expect anything much different than what we got from LD. Not the same tier as Woody or Scots. Clearly not in the same tier with Bud. 

2. Nick Nurse - Excellent player development coach, runs a great exciting system and is very talented. I think he's a potential superstar HC. Next Brad Stevens.  

3. Chris Fleming - Elite at player development. Excellent tactician. He has Coach Bud potential and maybe better. 

4. Fitz but I do not think he will take us seriously so I dropped him from 1st to 4th. Excellent coach. One of the best at player development, and getting the most of his teams. Doesn't always work with every personality type. 

5. Ettore Mussina - Elite tactician. Older. Not sure of his HC potential in the NBA but you never know. He's a gifted coach. His player development skills are questionable but he's the best tactician in the NBA that's not a HC.  Would be a good grab for a team like Milwaukee. 

The next coach will have to have two main qualities:

1.  He will work for peanuts.

2.  He doesn't mind coming into a situation where he will end up being the fall guy.  

Whoever takes this job will do so hoping that this 3-4 year stint will not damage his future head coaching aspirations.  This is a guaranteed losing spot.  Whoever takes this job is guaranteed to lose 60 plus games in his first season, and it's going to be a long while before this team pushes for a winning record.  

So, of the names mentioned, the only ones I think will seriously consider the job are Darvin Ham and Chris Fleming, and that's because both are under the radar candidates that likely will not get any other interviews for head coaching jobs.  

5 hours ago, KB21 said:

The next coach will have to have two main qualities:

1.  He will work for peanuts.

2.  He doesn't mind coming into a situation where he will end up being the fall guy.  

Whoever takes this job will do so hoping that this 3-4 year stint will not damage his future head coaching aspirations.  This is a guaranteed losing spot.  Whoever takes this job is guaranteed to lose 60 plus games in his first season, and it's going to be a long while before this team pushes for a winning record.  

So, of the names mentioned, the only ones I think will seriously consider the job are Darvin Ham and Chris Fleming, and that's because both are under the radar candidates that likely will not get any other interviews for head coaching jobs.  

People don't want to hear this.  But with Schlenk already announcing that he's willing to take on bad contracts to acquire draft picks, this is the reality of the situation.  Best case scenario is to hope that Bud and Ressler can mend whatever went down between them.  If not, Darvin Ham it is.   Or maybe this person, who would definitely take the job on the cheap . . and be a groundbreaking move at the same time.

NOTE:   I'm not talking about Pop . . . and I'm not talking about the gentleman in the blue tie.

Image result for becky hammon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

People don't want to hear this.  But with Schlenk already announcing that he's willing to take on bad contracts to acquire draft picks, this is the reality of the situation.  Best case scenario is to hope that Bud and Ressler can mend whatever went down between them.  If not, Darvin Ham it is.   Or maybe this person, who would definitely take the job on the cheap . . and be a groundbreaking move at the same time.

NOTE:   I'm not talking about Pop . . . and I'm not talking about the gentleman in the blue tie.

We should at least interview Becky.

11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

We should at least interview Becky.

Need to add this:

Do not insult her intelligence with a sub standard offer. I guarantee you, she knows what a ground breaking hire would do for a middling franchise such as ours.

29 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Need to add this:

Do not insult her intelligence with a sub standard offer. I guarantee you, she knows what a ground breaking hire would do for a middling franchise such as ours.

Well, the Hawks fired Danny Ferry for the wrong reasons.  Why not hire Becky Hammon for the wrong reasons?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Of course people don't want to hear this.  They believe that tanking is all roses and fun, and that nothing bad comes from intentionally losing.  They truly believe that some young, up and coming coach is going to look at the Hawks and think "Wow!  That's the job I want with all those first round picks!"  

• Premium Member

If Bud leaves and at this point I'm convinced it is going to happen then we will either promote Ham or take a gamble. Either on a first time HC (I realize Ham would be that as well but he's a system hire) or a retread trying to redeem themselves like Jackson.