• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do You Hear What I Hear?

hazer

When has a big in the mocern era of the NBA lead their team to success? KAT, AD,Embid? With pace and space, I think super stars are PGs and wings. Trae has solid offensive stats and had 9 dimes on a talent deficient team.  He still scored more then 23 ppg when opposing defenses zeroed in on him.  He may not make it as chances are neither will the others being discussed. But if he does I think he has superstar potential. 

This is such a poor argument, and I'm seeing it too often. It's like saying all players not named LeBron aren't worth drafting. How long have those guys been in the league? 3, 6, 2 years. They still have their best years ahead of them. Great teams win championships, they don't need to be composed in any particular way.

Bigs today need to be more versatile to avoid being exposed on switches, and thankfully where we're picking there will be a number of bigs available who can provide that defensive versatility and contribute offensively as well. Trae Young may very well end up being an offensive juggernaut, but if he doesn't max out his ceiling it's a wasted pick. There are many other PGs in the league right now playing at a high level (Dennis isn't that far himself). Young would have to hit at least 25 and 10 on very good efficiency for me to call it a good pick.

That's a tall order, I'd much rather grab Bamba who's got intriguing potential or even Bagley who, while not ideal, will play at a high level next to Collins. Or who knows, maybe we get really lucky and Ayton falls to us.

14 minutes ago, hazer said:

That being said, I think trading back for Young is the smarter move. But if they covet him at 3, can’t find the trade-back deal rich enough, and take Young at 3 and he’s the next Steve Nash, no one will be complaining and Schlloyd will look like a genius.

Want to really look like a genius: snag whoever’s left of Ayton, Bagley, or Doncic with the 3rd, trade back using that player and pick Young, trade Menace plus the 19th/30th/2019 to get back into the top 10 and take whoever’s left of Bamba, Porter, JJJ, or Bridges, then take Allen with the 34th pick if he’s still around. Hard to argue with that (Young, Bamba, Allen?) haul.

Regardless of where we pick, I’ll be happy with any of Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Bamba, Porter, Young, Sexton, JJJ, or Bridges. Hard to go wrong with that bunch.

1 hour ago, GThawks3 said:

Exactly who I want. He works out for the Hawks tomorrow. 

Porter has not proven anything past high school. Way to risky for me at #3.

Way too risky is probably why I would pick him. Look what NBAdraft.net says about Porter Jr. 

Michael Porter 6-11 210 SF Missouri Fr.  =Highest risk/reward pick in draft. Pure scorer in KD mold.

Why wouldn't you want to take a chance on a player that could be in KD mold? That is the best comment said of any of these players. This is the reason why you tanked! Take the risk. If you fail, that means you will be back close to this spot again next year. lol

• Like 4

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Bud's staff (I think it was Atkinson and Snyder mostly) did an amazing job of helping guys like Demarre, Dedmon, Millsap, Horford, Bazemore, Korver, etc. take their games to higher levels.  It's the development of rookies I was pointing out.  Pierce, by all accounts, was instrumental at doing that in Philly.  I do; however, know it's apples and oranges as Hawks were outside lottery picks and Philly was top 10 picks so the talent pool should've been a little deeper to start.  I just got so frustrated with people acting like the Hawks will never develop talent now that Bud is gone.  

Snyder and Atkinson weren't here with Dedmon.

It's easier to 'see' development when you have top high end picks like you said. The talent is already a built in component.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

Collins last year barely got any PT early on, even when we were in full blown tank mode

Bembry played lockdown defense on Harden and then sits the next few games

Prince was playing well his rookie year and fought like hell to get PT early on

Those are just a few examples over the past 2 years.  There are certainly more.  I can also pull mountains of threads where Hawks fans were complaining over Bud's rotations and his reluctance to play rooks.  

Maybe the owner of the team had something to do with it? :whistle: #tankmode lol

21 minutes ago, Brotha2ThaNite said:

Way too risky is probably why I would pick him. Look what NBAdraft.net says about Porter Jr. 

Why wouldn't you want to take a chance on a player that could be in KD mold? That is the best comment said of any of these players. This is the reason why you tanked! Take the risk. If you fail, that means you will be back close to this spot again next year. lol

Because Trae Young literally has the same star qualities and actually has proven it on the court...also doesn’t have any injury concerns. 

• Admin
26 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

Because Trae Young literally has the same star qualities and actually has proven it on the court...also doesn’t have any injury concerns. 

The things against him is he is small, slow, not very athletic ... does not defend ... doesn't shoot for a high percentage (420 / 360) ... struggled against the bigger stronger defenders (in the NBA that is everybody) and is very sloppy with the ball (5.2 TO per game!!).   I am just not a big believer in him.  

7 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

The things against him is he is small, slow, not very athletic ... does not defend ... doesn't shoot for a high percentage (420 / 360) ... struggled against the bigger stronger defenders (in the NBA that is everybody).   I am just not a big believer in him.  

Young was double teamed on 43.7% of touches past half court in his freshman year at Oklahoma, the closest a PG has ever been to that was Stephen Curry at 31.4%.

Still posted 27.4 ppg and 8.7 apg as a 19 year old freshman. Plenty of guards around his size have been stars in the league. And whoever said he is slow is 100% wrong. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, capstone21 said:

The things against him is he is small, slow, not very athletic ... does not defend ... doesn't shoot for a high percentage (420 / 360) ... struggled against the bigger stronger defenders (in the NBA that is everybody).   I am just not a big believer in him.  

Trae young is NOT slow at all. He was a devastating offensive weapon that teams had to account for as soon as he crossed half court. No team in the NBA can afford to double and triple team the PG like that. They know would get picked apart if they tried to do that. Trae will have a lot more breathing room in the NBA like he did at the beginning of the college season before the hype.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hawkman said:

Trae young is NOT slow at all. He was a devastating offensive weapon that teams had to account for as soon as he crossed half court. No team in the NBA can afford to double and triple team the PG like that. They know would get picked apart if they tried to do that. Trae will have a lot more breathing room in the NBA like he did at the beginning of the college season before the hype.

He's also not as small as people are making him out to be.  They can bulk him up like they did curry, but he's the same height as Dennis, CP, Lowry, Rondo, Kemba, Bledsoe.   Granted his wingspan isn't great but height-wise he's not unusually small.  

He's just a player and that's what I want.   A lot was made of how bad a team OK was and I wasn't sure I believed it until i watched myself.   Some sequences were comically bad and Trae could have hogged the ball and chucked shots much more than he did.   That team wouldn't have even gone near the NIT without him.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

He's also not as small as people are making him out to be.  They can bulk him up like they did curry, but he's the same height as Dennis, CP, Lowry, Rondo, Kemba, Bledsoe.   Granted his wingspan isn't great but height-wise he's not unusually small.  

He's just a player and that's what I want.   A lot was made of how bad a team OK was and I wasn't sure I believed it until i watched myself.   Some sequences were comically bad and Trae could have hogged the ball and chucked shots much more than he did.   That team wouldn't have even gone near the NIT without him.  

Doesn't Oklahoma have a rich basketball history? I thought they were one one of the better programs. How did their talent get so bad when Trey got there? I'm not a big college basketball fan, so I'm curious.

A lot of players look bad playing with another ball dominate guard in Oklahoma that averages a lot of points and assist too. I think he averaged a triple double that last two years. 

I think I'm in the keep Schröder camp,  I honestly don't see any of the PGs in this draft being a clear upgrade over him. I bet Schröder would drop 40 on Trey. No way he can stay in front of him. 

6 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Doesn't Oklahoma have a rich basketball history? I thought they were one one of the better programs. How did their talent get so bad when Trey got there? I'm not a big college basketball fan, so I'm curious.

A lot of players look bad playing with another ball dominate guard in Oklahoma that averages a lot of points and assist too. I think he averaged a triple double that last two years. 

I think I'm in the keep Schröder camp,  I honestly don't see any of the PGs in this draft being a clear upgrade over him. I bet Schröder would drop 40 on Trey. No way he can stay in front of him. 

I wouldn't say rich but they haven't been a pullover. They were more powerful in the 80's and early 90's with Wingate, Mookie, and others and had moments with Trae, Buddy and Blake but they been good college basketball program. Not great or very good but good. 

9 hours ago, hazer said:

Have you seen his passing? It’s Nash-esque. The player he says he’s trying to immulate.

Emulate...

54 minutes ago, Johnnybravo4 said:

How many times are we gonna pass a franchise pg in favor of a big with "potential"?

This!

and if we can’t get Trae then get porter jr! Just somehow get an top offensive talent 

• Like 1

Très has now added 13lbs of muscle since declaring and is over 180lbs. 6’2” 180s isn’t as small as some are thinking.

6 minutes ago, hazer said:

Très has now added 13lbs of muscle since declaring and is over 180lbs. 6’2” 180s isn’t as small as some are thinking.

Upped his bench press (185) from 6 to 15 reps. All of this in a 2-month span. 

• Like 4