• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the Hawks Draft

TheNorthCydeRises

Grade the Hawks Draft  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll give it a D. The Trae pick was foolish. We had Doncic sitting right there, if you wanted a point guard for the future there you go. Don't get the guy likely to have Isaiah Thomas level impact for us. We still have Dennis on the roster, and we've lowered his value even more. Plain stupidity. I realize I'm higher on Dennis than everyone else, but if he's really not part of our future you have to have a plan to trade him before you choose Trae.

The trade was garbage, if the Mavs wanted to move up, they should've paid more than a 1st with protections. This is seriously the type of trade that you look back 10 years later and wonder what the hell the Hawks were thinking. Schlenk really bet the house on Trae when he didn't need to. The upside isn't even worth the risk anything less than multiple time all-star and he's a bust, he doesn't deserve those expectations.

Under other circumstances I wouldn't mind Huerter at 19, however a) Lonnie Walker was taken a pick earlier and I feel like we should've made a play for him and b) it's clear Schlenk is trying to build the imitation Warriors and that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. I really mean this when I say it: I'd trust any of y'all to manage this team before Schlenk. I'm disgusted. Not even gonna go into the other two picks. Last thing I want to say is I hope Schlenk proves me completely wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The IT comparisons to Trae are as bad as the Lou Williams comparisons.  IT can only pass the ball like Trae in his dreams.  He's also a lot smaller.  

I've only watched highlights of Trae Young, but I see a mix of Curry, Nash and maybe a tad bit of Bibby. Just from the highlights I would say that Young looks like a way better passer than Lou Williams.

The IT comparisons to Trae are as bad as the Lou Williams comparisons.  IT can only pass the ball like Trae in his dreams.  He's also a lot smaller.  

Trae is indeed a much better passer than IT, but that's it. If he isn't tearing it up offensively, he's a liability on the court. Thats the comparison. If he couldn't play defense in college, he definitely won't do anything in the NBA. I don't want that in a PG if Doncic is sitting right there. We still have Dennis, I'd rather pray he learns how to shoot and take Bamba who at least wanted to be a Hawk.

1 minute ago, nathan2331 said:
8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Trae is indeed a much better passer than IT, but that's it. If he isn't tearing it up offensively, he's a liability on the court. Thats the comparison. If he couldn't play defense in college, he definitely won't do anything in the NBA. I don't want that in a PG if Doncic is sitting right there. We still have Dennis, I'd rather pray he learns how to shoot and take Bamba who at least wanted to be a Hawk.

But he only played one year of college ball. How can you write a player off as a poor defender based on one year... A year when he had to carry such a large offensive burden.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I won't give the draft a letter grade, but I will describe this draft with this term.

Risky.

I mentioned yesterday that Travis Schlenk's roots in the NBA are in the ground next to Don Nelson's tree.  If you know anything about Don Nelson, you know that two things stand out.  First, he is unconventional in his approach to things.  Second, he valued an up tempo style and floor spacing three point shooters before it became the in vogue thing in the NBA.  His issue is that he seemingly didn't value defense at all.

The three players the Hawks drafted shot a combined 653 three point shots this past seasons.  They hit 256 of those three point shots for a 39.2% three point percentage.  53% of the total shots these players took were three point shots.  

Trea Young and Kevin Huerter both bring above average play making ability for their positions as well.  Trae is a tremendous passer.  It's his best trait, IMO.  His court vision and passing accuracy are the best in this draft.  He's not as good as Luka Doncic in the pick and roll game yet, but the guy knows how to pass the basketball.  

Kevin Huerter can handle the ball and has the chops to be a secondary ball handler.  He has some decision making issues at times.  There is some latent defensive potential in him as well.  He's actually a solid team defender right now. 

Omari Spellman is only 6'9", but he has a 7'2" wingspan, and has shown some rim protection ability.

This is a direct quote from Travis Schlenk when he took the job:

Well, he has tried to do that in one draft.  I do agree with those that see it as a concern that he is essentially trying to recreate the Warriors roster in Atlanta.  

I dont believe he meant that literally.  All GM's would like a Steph,Klay, and Draymond. lol

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

This....

7 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

And so did Trae..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

I give it an A-

I really like this draft and i'm glad we didn't get that overrated Doncic who aparrently everyone thinks will be a superhuman Joe Johnson lmaooo

Yep. This guy isn't going to be better than JJ was here. Granted, that's pretty good.... But people are acting like this guy is MJ or something.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Wait.  So, I am to believe that Marvin Bagley was going to get better defensively once in the NBA, Mo Bamba would get better at guarding in space in the NBA, but Trae Young isn't going to get any better?  It's funny how the bolded comment did not apply to the two guys you wanted.

Here's the thing with Trae.  Even if all he does is become adequate as a team defender, he is a player that will always have an offensive effect on the game, even if his shot isn't going down.  His passing is that good.  That's what separates him from guys like IT and Lou.  

• Like 2

But he only played one year of college ball. How can you write a player off as a poor defender based on one year... A year when he had to carry such a large offensive burden.

So we can't judge players based on what they did and didn't do? He was a trash defender and he wasn't even trying at times. He also doesn't have the tools to be a good defender so I don't expect things to change in the future. Maybe I'm wrong and his offense will justify the pick, but I'm not holding my breath. Just my two cents.
And so did Trae..

There's a difference. Trae wanted to be drafted. I really believe Bamba wanted to go to Atlanta. Obviously he's better in interviews than most other prospects, but I felt like he genuinely wanted to be a Hawk over other teams. That alone shouldn't get him drafted, but to me it counts for something.

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Wait.  So, I am to believe that Marvin Bagley was going to get better defensively once in the NBA, Mo Bamba would get better at guarding in space in the NBA, but Trae Young isn't going to get any better?  It's funny how the bolded comment did not apply to the two guys you wanted.

Here's the thing with Trae.  Even if all he does is become adequate as a team defender, he is a player that will always have an offensive effect on the game, even if his shot isn't going down.  His passing is that good.  That's what separates him from guys like IT and Lou.  

Does Trae Young have the tools to become a better defender in the NBA? If you say yes, there's nothing else to talk about.