• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk Is BK Part 2

vdunkndunk

2 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

JJJ is just going to be a role player at best. In 10 years he will have become a journeyman big shooting spot up 3's like Marvin Williams. I'd rather take someone with potential more than that.

Tonight just isn't my night.

JJJ is going to be a role player in this league. He lacks good footwork... He isn't going to be able to post up on a consistent basis in the NBA without getting stripped, his shot blocked or without turning the ball over. He doesn't have the handles or the ball handling ability to take the ball to the hole that often... He will be mostly limited to 3's on offense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, vdunkndunk said:

Travis Schlenk is BK Part 2, in the worst possible sense. Basically, he thinks he’s smarter than the rest of the league and ends up drafting based on his personal obsession rather than intelligent analysis.

With BK, it was unskilled 6’8 forwards (including Sheldon Williams). With Schlenk, it’s apparently unathletic shooters who play no D and wouldn’t have been picked within 5-10 spots of where Schlenk took them by any other team.

We had Doncic. We could have had JJJ, too, or even Bamba. But no...we took the No. 3 pick and threw it in the garbage by drafting an unathetic 6’1 chucker who plays no D, airballs 3’s early in the shotclock, and likely would have been available at 12.

Oh, wait...almost forgot we also got that pick from the Mavs...except we know for a FACT it won’t be in the top 5. And even if it was, it’s likely a weaker draft—and I no longer trust Schlenk to identify talent—so extra picks to throw in the garage offer me no solace.

Get rid of Schlenk now before he picks again! (And no, this isn’t an over reaction to one summer league game...I felt even worse about this pick on draft night the moment they announced that trade.)

At least Trae can pass if he puts his mind to it, but he’d rather jack up terrible 3’s. Why turn the No. 3 pick into this guy? I’d be more surprised if he made two all-star teams in his career than I would be if you told me he’d be coming off the bench for the rest of his career after his rookie contract. We’ve been down this road before....

I completely agree with you. I stopped posting here because I literally couldn't make a post expressing how furious I am without using enough profanity to get me perma banned from this site. Seriously. I had to wipe out my own posts and move away from the site.

Young is a bust. He was absolutely exposed and demolished at the college level when Oklahoma stopped playing Division 2 schools and had to play real competition. His shooting numbers were eye popping bad. Just like his NCAA record for turnovers. There's no way this scrub is going to even get a second NBA contract.

But our idiot GM thinks he is God's gift to basketball and drafted him anyways despite much better talent there for the taking. This isn't even about trading Doncic. This is about wasting a pick and years of development on stubborn pride on "Oh no fans, THIS is the  year Acie Law 2.0 finally GETS IT! Buy those season tickets!"

• Like 1

I’m mostly blowing off steam, but I had Doncic and JJJ pegged as my guys and specifically didn’t want Trae Young on draft night. To watch JJJ nail 3s with a quick release—and not just wide-open catch-and-shoot 3s—while Trae airballed half his 3s and shouldn’t have take the other half...it was too stark a juxtaposition for me to feel all that encouraged. I just don’t believe in Trae as a top-5 pick. JJJ may only end up as a solid role player who blocks shots, switches well on D, rebounds, and spaces the floor by hitting 3s...but that’s a pretty high floor, and I think he can be more. For me, Trae’s ceiling may be Nash or Curry, but I don’t think it’s likely he gets there...and his floor may be Jimmer Fredette.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

He wasn't coverted by the two teams that picked one and two and so maybe everyone doesn't think he is the best thing ever. He might be king of the shit shack league, but he averaged 14 PPG and shot 30% in 3's. Below average athletic ability at the NBA level and the testosterone level of a 13 year old girl. He might be a good player. But the hype for this guy is laughable.

Wait, Doncic has low testosterone levels?

1 hour ago, vdunkndunk said:

Travis Schlenk is BK Part 2, in the worst possible sense. Basically, he thinks he’s smarter than the rest of the league and ends up drafting based on his personal obsession rather than intelligent analysis.

With BK, it was unskilled 6’8 forwards (including Sheldon Williams). With Schlenk, it’s apparently unathletic shooters who play no D and wouldn’t have been picked within 5-10 spots of where Schlenk took them by any other team.

We had Doncic. We could have had JJJ, too, or even Bamba. But no...we took the No. 3 pick and threw it in the garbage by drafting an unathetic 6’1 chucker who plays no D, airballs 3’s early in the shotclock, and likely would have been available at 12.

Oh, wait...almost forgot we also got that pick from the Mavs...except we know for a FACT it won’t be in the top 5. And even if it was, it’s likely a weaker draft—and I no longer trust Schlenk to identify talent—so extra picks to throw in the garage offer me no solace.

Get rid of Schlenk now before he picks again! (And no, this isn’t an over reaction to one summer league game...I felt even worse about this pick on draft night the moment they announced that trade.)

At least Trae can pass if he puts his mind to it, but he’d rather jack up terrible 3’s. Why turn the No. 3 pick into this guy? I’d be more surprised if he made two all-star teams in his career than I would be if you told me he’d be coming off the bench for the rest of his career after his rookie contract. We’ve been down this road before....

Schlenk's legacy may well be defined by Young vs. Doncic, but in your post-summer-league-game-#1 rant you also fumed that he took players that would not have been picked within 5-10 picks of where they were taken? If you want to make generalizations, then let's include all of Schlenk's picks:

John Collins, #19, projected Top 14 by most sites.

Tyler Dorsey, 2nd round, projected 2nd round.

Trae Young, #3, ranked #3 by TheStepien.com, ranked #2 stats/#3 overall by Kevin Pelton ESPN (would have been taken #6 by Orlando)

Kevin Huerter #19, ranked #13 by TheStepien, ranked #8 stats/#11 overall by Kevin Pelton.

Omari Spellman, #30, ranked #44 by TheStepien, ranked #34 stats/#40 overall by Kevin Pelton.

So, I guess you were right. One of Schlenk's 5 draft picks was taken 5-10 picks ahead of projections.

Damnit, can we get a refund?!

The receipts ARE less than 30 days old!

• Like 1

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Of course it's an overreaction to one summer league game.   Had Trae scored 28 points and made 7 threes, there's no way you make this post.

Just be honest about your feelings.

I haven’t posted in years, so you’re probably right. But if he’d scored 28 and hit 7 threes, it might have been encouraging, but he didn’t: JJJ did.

By the way, I believe that SL is a necessary but not sufficient condition in many cases; i.e., success in SL doesn’t necessarily translate into regular-season success, but struggling in SL isn’t typically a good sign. (That’s why the Dion Glover argument doesn’t work for me.) It’s obviously too early to judge Trae’s SL, and he may well hit some of those 3s tomorrow night, but I’m not sure that makes him any taller...or any more athletic...or any better on defense...or more worthy of a top 5 pick.

if we’d taken Trae at 12, I’d be less skeptical, but to tank all year for a top talent and end up with Trae Young, when better talent was on the board? I just don’t see it as wise, regardless of what happens in SL this year. That’s why this thread was directed at Schlenk and not at Trae.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, parfait said:

Schlenk's legacy may well be defined by Young vs. Doncic, but in your post-summer-league-game-#1 rant you also fumed that he took players that would not have been picked within 5-10 picks of where they were taken? If you want to make generalizations, then let's include all of Schlenk's picks:

John Collins, #19, projected Top 14 by most sites.

Tyler Dorsey, 2nd round, projected 2nd round.

Trae Young, #3, ranked #3 by TheStepien.com, ranked #2 stats/#3 overall by Kevin Pelton ESPN (would have been taken #6 by Orlando)

Kevin Huerter #19, ranked #13 by TheStepien, ranked #8 stats/#11 overall by Kevin Pelton.

Omari Spellman, #30, ranked #44 by TheStepien, ranked #34 stats/#40 overall by Kevin Pelton.

So, I guess you were right. One of Schlenk's 5 draft picks was taken 5-10 picks ahead of projections.

Damnit, can we get a refund?!

The receipts ARE less than 30 days old!

I don’t mind the Huerter or Omari picks, but you don’t tank all year to make decent picks in the middle or late first round. A No. 3 pick should change the course of your franchise, and with Trae Young, I don’t think we did that. If you look at the average of the projections for Young and Omari, we took them both too high. Huerter was in about the right range, but I don’t think we’re much closer to contention now than we were before we spent three 1st-round picks, including what should have been a top-3 pick. Schlenk will be judged by how Trae plays relative to Doncic and JJJ, and right now, I’m skeptical...Hope Trae proves me wrong....

6 hours ago, vdunkndunk said:

But if he’d scored 28 and hit 7 threes, it might have been encouraging, but he didn’t: JJJ did.

Trae out-rebounded JJJ ?

• Like 2

Cmon man. Y’all can’t be serious. 1 game of Summer League ? Y’all don’t even know what to look for. He shot poor, but he was able to beat guys and draw fouls. That was my main concern. As long as he’s able to beat guys off the dribble, he will be a star. He still has to improve his handle, but I no longer doubt that he’s at least an average NBA athlete at PG. Hes going to take a few years to reach his prime, but man..we got a franchise changer.

• Like 3

• Moderators

SL doesn’t mean jack.  Trae had a bad shooting night.  No need to overreact to that.  While I agree that if he struggles the whole SL that is a red flag it is not hard to find people who ended up just fine.  The correlation is stronger for people who struggle but we are only one game in and even then it isn’t determinative.

Likewise, no one is going to get questions answered this summer about what Trae can and can’t do against real NBA opponents.  Can you defend and beat D-League players and rookies off the dribble?  God, I hope so but that doesn’t mean much for predicting future success.

SL is just for enjoying seeing people play in an environment that is a step above D-League All-Star game level of competition.

After one game, especially when Doncic hasn't played one second as an NBA player to even start this bs argument. And omg Jackson hit a bunch of 3s in a performance he probably won't replicate anytime soon so I know he'll be  a superstar. lol what about the rest of his game when those 3s aren't falling?

• Premium Member

I wanted us to keep Doncic, but Trae is a Hawk and I'm rooting for his success.

I was hoping Trae would have a John Collins-esque Summer League debut, but it's one game AND it's summer league. Shooting and shot selection was downright atrocious.

However, he did some good things otherwise: he got to the freethrow line, when he actually ran the offense he looked good, he moved his feet in man to man defense and didn't look as horrible as I thought he would.  ONE GAME!!!

Game 2 tonight - let's see how that goes.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I wanted us to keep Doncic, but Trae is a Hawk and I'm rooting for his success.

I was hoping Trae would have a John Collins-esque Summer League debut, but it's one game AND it's summer league. Shooting and shot selection was downright atrocious.

However, he did some good things otherwise: he got to the freethrow line, when he actually ran the offense he looked good, he moved his feet in man to man defense and didn't look as horrible as I thought he would.  ONE GAME!!!

Game 2 tonight - let's see how that goes.

Summer league is always gonna be easier for a big man than a guard. Guards almost always struggle early on

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Cwell said:

Summer league is always gonna be easier for a big man than a guard. Guards almost always struggle early on

Don't know about that.  The lack of great D, the low level of competition and the ball in your hand a lot gives stud guards a lot of opportunity to shine in that environment.  Big men are reliant on someone else to get them the ball and can end up getting fewer touches than they deserve.