One more Tank season then Try to get K.A.T

wolvetigers

The Hawks will be a NBADL team this year, but that is ok. Great opportunity to grow our young team especially Collins, Prince and our draft picks Young, Spellman, Huerter. Thereafter we go into the 2019 lottery and wish upon a star for a superstar.

But after those lottery dreams are over, we need to try to bring in a star to anchor our franchise. Pairing Karl Anthony Towns with Collins would give us an athletic & explosive front court. 

It will take a Max Contract to get him here...hopefully our GM can work some magic to bring him or a similar caliber player to Atlanta. If not, I fear we will treating the draft like a wishing well every year. 

I'd love to see the pairing, but I don't see how it could ever get done. KAT will be restricted once he hits free agency, there's no way Minnesota doesn't max him out. I imagine I'd they decided to trade him, they'd want a package surrounding Collins and other players/assets which to me defeats the purpose.

Hypothetically, I could see something if Wiggins regresses further and they decide to hit the panic button and get rid of him early. Something like:

Dennis/K Love to Minnesota

Bazemore, filler, a bunch ATL future firsts to Cleveland

Wiggins + KAT to us

In this scenario Dennis is playing at a legitimate All-star level and Bazemore playing well. The fact that no one is happy in Minnesota means something has to shake.

KAT has to WANT to come to Atlanta first, and let's be honest.  What big time free agent, whether he is restricted or unrestricted, is going to want to come into a situation where all the pressure to improve a sub 20 win team is on him?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

KAT has to WANT to come to Atlanta first, and let's be honest.  What big time free agent, whether he is restricted or unrestricted, is going to want to come into a situation where all the pressure to improve a sub 20 win team is on him?

Only shot for us on that is if Trae and Collins kill it this season and he thinks we have two emerging stars to go with our picks from this year.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KB21 said:

This is the thing though.  And it'a a 'thing' that's stretched across different coaches, front offices, etc.  We don't play the high-level free agency game.  For that reason, I'm fine with simply focusing on draft and trade as our means for improving.

Not saying that avenue (high level free ag.) will never open up.  I just think it won't open up until we make real strides via the draft and trade angles.  Until then, talk like this isn't worth the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is the thing though.  And it'a a 'thing' that's stretched across different coaches, front offices, etc.  We don't play the high-level free agency game.  For that reason, I'm fine with simply focusing on draft and trade as our means for improving.

Not saying that avenue (high level free ag.) will never open up.  I just think it won't open up until we make real strides via the draft and trade angles.  Until then, talk like this isn't worth the time.

.....and I think relying on the draft to build your team is foolish, because the draft is largely a crapshoot.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KB21 said:

Minnesota wont be much better once Jimmy leaves...Just sayin..

• Like 1

Dog chasing his tail.  Lots of work.  Gets the dog no where.

We can't get top free agents to come here because no big time free agent wants to come here because no free agent comes here.  Around and around we go, getting nowhere.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.  All of us old country boys knows this famous saying.  But, we've figured out the solution.  Before you take the horse out, you sprinkle his oats liberally with salt.  Hawks have gotta get some salt to sprinkle over these super free agents!

Any ideas?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/9/2018 at 10:34 PM, wolvetigers said:

The Hawks will be a NBADL team this year, but that is ok. Great opportunity to grow our young team especially Collins, Prince and our draft picks Young, Spellman, Huerter. Thereafter we go into the 2019 lottery and wish upon a star for a superstar.

But after those lottery dreams are over, we need to try to bring in a star to anchor our franchise. Pairing Karl Anthony Towns with Collins would give us an athletic & explosive front court. 

It will take a Max Contract to get him here...hopefully our GM can work some magic to bring him or a similar caliber player to Atlanta. If not, I fear we will treating the draft like a wishing well every year. 

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 7/11/2018 at 10:43 AM, Sothron said:

KAT isn't leaving MInn. Neither is Butler. We've never signed a superstar level free agent. The closest was Deke but he was only a superstar on the defensive end.

@Sothron. What's going on with your team? 

Did Jimmy have his meeting with Thibs and Layden? Or is it today?

If Minny has to choose KAT ot Butler? Who you got?

Hawks related:

A disgruntled star may be on the market - what should the Hawks be willing to give up to get KAT?

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Sothron. What's going on with your team? 

Did Jimmy have his meeting with Thibs and Layden? Or is it today?

If Minny has to choose KAT ot Butler? Who you got?

Hawks related:

A disgruntled star may be on the market - what should the Hawks be willing to give up to get KAT?

I’m all in for building on our own and not going after KAT at all. I don’t like the way the guy plays defense. He’s got some choppy legs and feet that seem a bit out of control. I’m ok not going after KAT.

• Moderators

Durant went to the Warriors because they already had two stars in Curry and Thompson (who the Warriors drafted) and were a winning team.  No player of KAT's talent level is coming to this 20-win tank.  We're at least another top draft pick or two away that pans out before we can speak on signing star talent to max deals.  I think we have good ones in Trae and Collins, but everybody else is fodder at best.