• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OKC and Atlanta in talks - Dennis and Muscala for Melo - Deal Done (Not Fake News)

JayBirdHawk

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Depth chart post trades/draft

Young/Lin/ either Dorsey/Adams/Maybe Robinson

Baze/Heurter/Bembry

Prince/Anderson/

Collins/Spellman/

Dedmon/Plumlee/

Not sure who I'm missing.

So current roster looks more like that (Adams is on a 2 way, Robinson is not signed). So 3 roster slots? 

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I'm not sure it's worth a separate thread, but do we have a Hall of Fame hallway worth of Trade-and-Buyout guys in our Hawks history?

Melo, Gary Payton, Jamal, Jamison... who else am I forgetting?

~lw3

To my memory, we were part of the first ever trade of this kind, and received this war horse on his very last leg...

2018-07-19_1738.png

• Like 4

Don't know what else happens but just don't see Dorsey handling point for any remotely meaningful minutes. Trae, Lin when he is ready and Bembry right now. Seems a vet at point may be around the corner or one of our myriad of youngsters have a shot as well. When exactly is Lin ready to hit the court?

• Like 1

So we traded Dennis for a 2022 first rounder that likely becomes 2 second rounders based on OKC’s contention window (namely George’s contract).  

It seems to me that you either give heavy protection or push the pick off for 4 years, but not both.  

From where I’m sitting it looks like Schlenk is a poor trade negotiator.  That bodes very poorly for us.  

Just now, CBAreject said:

So we traded Dennis for a 2022 first rounder that likely becomes 2 second rounders based on OKC’s contention window (namely George’s contract).  

It seems to me that you either give heavy protection or push the pick off for 4 years, but not both.  

From where I’m sitting it looks like Schlenk is a poor trade negotiator.  That bodes very poorly for us.  

No, we traded Dennis for playing time for Young and this deal creates 18 million in cap space next year (technically 5 of that was already created when we would have rejected resigning Moose.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, CBAreject said:

Remember that this is actually the first pick that OKC can trade.  I'd put top 14 protection for a team that currently has both Westbrook and George under contract for that season as a moderate protection.

Reality is that this trade was done primarily to clear Dennis off our future cap and to turn the keys over to Trae.  Not many people willing to take Dennis.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I'm not sure it's worth a separate thread, but do we have a Hall of Fame hallway worth of Trade-and-Buyout guys in our Hawks history?

Melo, Gary Payton, Jamal, Jamison... who else am I forgetting?

~lw3

Terrell Brandon!

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, CBAreject said:

Actually, no, I don't want their 1st round pick in the next couple of years, so 2022 is just fine by me.

I think the real beef is that it is lottery protected AND turns to 2 second-rounders so quickly.

But I made that point before learning we were getting Justin Anderson... not that Anderson walks in as anything but a rotation player, but that I think he's a quality asset that we get to control for two years pretty cheap, annnnnnnnnd, but that one automatically assumes in a situation like this where your new head coach had him in the previous position... it opens up the possibility that, though it will never be a home run, this trade might represent a single or even a double when we look back on it in a few years.

• Like 3

Just now, KB21 said:

What's very clear, or should be very clear, is that the Hawks impetus to do this trade has more to do with getting rid of Dennis Schröder and less to do with getting that pick down the road.

Yes, that is the point.  We wanted to dump Dennis without taking back a long contract.  Mission accomplished.  I think this trade works well for OKC and we could’ve argued for lesser protection, and I can’t shake the sense that Schlenk has let two trades involving a future pick get dictated to him on the other team’s terms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

From last year: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/justin-anderson

“Look, they had an extremely difficult situation,” Nelson said of the Sixers, per Tim MacMahon of ESPN.com. “They were overstocked at the center position. You’re looking at basically the possibility of a couple-month rental, and so I think they did the best that they could with the situation they had. It was really a need position for us, and it was taking the best possible deal they could get. They like Justin Anderson a lot. He is the critical piece, and it was hard for us to give them that piece.”

Please stop.

If Justin Anderson sees the light of day in the regular rotation, it means that Kevin Huerter is a complete bust, and Bembry is buried in the G-League.

Mike Scott is a better shooting SG than Anderson . . . and Molly Mike was a PF.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, enrique said:

Picks 1-14 protected...let me find that link. Unfortunately it becomes 2 seconds next year;(

Details of trade from ESPN:  http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24141942/oklahoma-city-thunder-trade-carmelo-anthony-atlanta-hawks-dennis-Schröder-mike-muscala

• Like 1