• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2019

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

But 2 of the 3 players listed at center aren't playable

Even if your point is valid, the point remains that it's not adding to the 3 that is necessary, but replacing one or more of the three.

Having said that...

I believe Fernando will assert himself over time.

I believe Len will have a good year, and will be our best trade bait in February.

I don't know what to think about Jones for now, but if healthy, I do know that he was the starting C for GSW to begin last season, and that's no small thing.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bruno and Jones

Everyone is entitled to their opinion however I will trust that of Travis Schlenk.  He's done a pretty good job putting this roster together thus far which says something about his talent evaluation (and the scouting teams') ability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
Just now, AtlHomer said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion however I will trust that of Travis Schlenk.  He's done a pretty good job putting this roster together thus far which says something about his talent evaluation (and the scouting teams') ability.

He is good at drafting but his team still lose a lot so it remains to be seen if his roster buildung works.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bruno and Jones

@Spud2nique keeps saying Jones is better than Len :hehe:

Jones won the starting position in GSW last year but then got injured - pec tear, so we know he's playable.

Spellman played last season and if he wasn't fat and injured he would have played more, so I see no reason for Bruno to not see the floor. Based on this excerpt 

Fernando is going to have every opportunity to earn a hefty chunk of minutes in his rookie season because the depth at center is quite thin. Atlanta had a first-round grade on Fernando; he’s clearly the team’s future at the position and will have every opportunity to earn the starting job at some point this season. Most importantly, Fernando will give the Hawks much needed rim protection. Fernando is undoubtedly raw but he possesses length with his 7-foot-3 wingspan and mobility, which is something Len doesn’t have.

I guess it depends on what you think the goal is for the season. 

I still see this season as 'Development over Wins" but if we win along the way while developing the youngins - even better.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I am with @Peoriabird on the issue of depth.  I haven't ruled out the possibility that Jones and Bruno will be good useful rotation players but merely having bodies on the roster is not enough for depth.  If a guy should only be getting 5 minutes per game, that doesn't mean it is useful depth.  Just as Parsons isn't a reliable useful member of the rotation at the 4, we have only 1 player who projects to be a safe source of minutes at the 5: Len.  Collins is the next most reliable and there are matchup issues for him.  Jones I hope turns out to be a very useful defender and rim runner and Bruno is a total wildcard for me for 2019 (I like the talent but nothing from summer league suggests he is ready to play).  

So I see us as paper thin at center right now and having much better depth at PF.  We could have Collins out for a game and between Parker and Hunter alone I feel like we could have 48 useful minutes.  

If Len misses a game, I don't know that we have 20 useful minutes at the position.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He is good at drafting but his team still lose a lot so it remains to be seen if his roster buildung works.

Well that seems just a little duplicitous, don't it?

Give him credit for drafting individual players well, but until that turns into actual wins, you're withholding credit for individual players playing well... and yet... isn't that the conversation you're trying to have, ie, whether this particular individual player, Bruno Fernando, will play well??? Or, in your words, is merely playable???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, sturt said:

I need a GIF where Jim Mora, instead of saying "PLAYOFFS?" says, "SUMMER LEAGUE???"

For me, Bruno's struggles in summer league don't mean much.  It is just that I don't expect a second round pick to generally get many minutes so if you are going to count on one to break the mold and immediately step into the rotation it would be nice to see more from him during even these high publicity pickup games.  

I am expecting a season of developmental minutes (rather than what I'd inartfully term as productive minutes) for Bruno.  Trouble looms on the horizon for our center depth if we don't add another center and he doesn't materially exceed my baseline expectations.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

For me, Bruno's struggles in summer league don't mean much.  It is just that I don't expect a second round pick to generally get many minutes so if you are going to count on one to break the mold and immediately step into the rotation it would be nice to see more from him during even these high publicity pickup games.  

I am expecting a season of developmental minutes (rather than what I'd inartfully term as productive minutes) for Bruno.  Trouble looms on the horizon for our center depth if we don't add another center and he doesn't materially exceed my baseline expectations.

Why is this simple concept not obvious to everyone?  Heck I support the Hawks but come on...Even Len is not a starting center on a winning team. We all hope players perform better than what they've shown in the past but the reality is you can't count on it.