• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Free Agency 2019

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
Just now, gurpilo said:

I am not worried about his age, I just see he has no room for improvement, I would prefer to sign a young with potential, you have the chance to find a gem. If I am contending I definately sign McConnell but we are not there yet.

He is currently playing at a level those other guys would have to improve significantly to reach.  The only development I am seriously focused on is Trae, JC and our young wings and your young swingmen would benefit from a PG who can hit a jumper, play solid D and move the ball so there are fewer variables for them to account for on the floor.

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

1. We don't know that.

2. Turner as backup 1 is significantly better than McConnell will ever be in his lifetime.

He got 2 years 7 million from the Pacers. You're telling me one more million per year wouldn't have got it done? When youre making in the low seven figures and you have minimal career earnings the amount youre getting is very important. Unless he just loves Indy we certainly could have had him for a deal slightly higher, still a bargain though. And how is Turner far better than McConnell? Their numbers do not suggest that's the case. Turner is an abysmal three point shooter, one of the worst. McConnell is better at running the point and more efficient. Turner is better on defense however with his versatility and superior length.

Edited by bleachkit

1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

I don't understand all this locker room presence, can understand with Vince, but Livingston? What can he teach? Can he really play? Turner at PG is an experiment and we need a real backup PG. There are still some good options there as Shaquille Harrison or Frank Mason or other young guys that have outplayed clearly Adams at SL as Mitrou Long or PJ Dozier. I would prefer any of these guys than Livingston.

Also think that we need some help at C. You want a locker room presence, sign Gasol or Noah, anyway I would prefer to go youth and sign someone aa Christian Wood.

Unless you can sign a real veteran star that can be a real example for young guys and still have something left on the tank as Carter or Gasol I would go with young guys with potential aa Harrison, Frank Mason or Wood 

Livingston just finished playing in the last 5 NBA finals winning 3 of them. He  may not have been The Superstar on that team but he was a key piece and was apart of a championship culture. Having that kind of first hand experience of what it takes to win and be a champion is priceless. Don’t fool yourself, our young guys would soak up every last bit of info he is willing to share with them about the journey he had personally and as a part of a franchise that until recently was very similar to ours in a lot of ways.

I love and want Vince back, but Vince could only teach our guys about how to Bev a professional, a good teammate and taking care of your body. Vital info, but as far as winning a championship, Vince hasn’t sniffed a finals appearance.

Id like both if possible on the end of the bench. You really do need vet wisdom in locker rooms not just rah rah guys like Noah who also hasn’t won anything

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

He got 2 years 7 million from the Pacers. You're telling me one more million per year wouldn't have got it done? When youre making in the low seven figures and you have minimal career earnings the amount youre getting is very important. Unless he just loves Indy we certainly could have had him for a deal slightly higher, still a bargain though. And how is Turner far better than McConnell? Their numbers do not suggest that's the case. Turner is an abysmal three point shooter, one of the worst. McConnell is better at running the point and more efficient. Turner is better on defense however with his versatility and superior length.

It's not always purely about money and McConnell was unplayable in the playoffs because he was so bad.

Turner was arguably POR's best and second best player in their 2nd round series.  IDGAF about what some random, hand-picked numbers say.

Am in agreement about adding McConnell if he would have listened to us, not sure if that happened or could have but do know he is a true point guard and would like Trae backed up by one and not a hybrid whatever. We have Bembry and Cam for that hybrid role and of course Huerter can handle the rock from the other guard spot. Maybe Schlenk had a specific interest in a more defensive vet as the upgrade to back up there as well as probably doing Baze right.

• Premium Member

Not going to have a chance to read anything much tonight, so siap...

But it occurs to me if it hasn't already occurred to others that perhaps the most noteworthy part in cutting Jaylen Adams is that it would seem to indicate we're done with our trade activity for the off-season... otherwise, Schlenk probably would want to hold on to him in case he needs to package a contract in a future deal for salary cap purposes.

Not lock certain, of course, because for all we know, there's a deal already basically done, but not yet announced, that doesn't involve Adams. Just highly unlikely at this stage.

Conjecture from here is probably the same as others' conjecture... we're waiting for Uncle Vince to decide if he wants to return with us or not, while also measuring the possibility of signing Livingston... and at the same time, preparing to extend a 2-way offer to someone.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

How about we go after Noah, he could be a nice addition and give us veteran experience and a nice defensive center behind Len.  

We need something...definitely desperate times now

• Moderators
21 hours ago, kg01 said:

It's not always purely about money and McConnell was unplayable in the playoffs because he was so bad.

Turner was arguably POR's best and second best player in their 2nd round series.  IDGAF about what some random, hand-picked numbers say.

I issue my apology to stud playoff power Evan Turner:

9.0 PER - 9th on the roster

.409% ts% - 10th on the roster

0.035 ws/48 - 10th on the roster

19.8% turnover rate - 13th (worst) on roster

-1.9 BPM - 10th on the roster

0.0 VORP - 10th on the roster

Minutes played - dropped from 22 per game in regular season to 15 per game due to his stud playoff performance.

Let’s not undersell that amazing Denver series where he didn’t just have 1 or 2 good games out of 7.  Where else can you get 2.6 points per game on 33% shooting?  It’s like he won the series by himself.

Totally worth $18M per season.  Absolute beast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AHF dijo:

I issue my apology to stud playoff power Evan Turner:

9.0 PER - 9th on the roster

.409% ts% - 10th on the roster

0.035 ws/48 - 10th on the roster

19.8% turnover rate - 13th (worst) on roster

-1.9 BPM - 10th on the roster

0.0 VORP - 10th on the roster

Minutes played - dropped from 22 per game in regular season to 15 per game due to his stud playoff performance.

Let’s not undersell that amazing Denver series where he didn’t just have 1 or 2 good games out of 7.  Where else can you get 2.6 points per game on 33% shooting?  It’s like he won the series by himself.

Totally worth $18M per season.  Absolute beast!

Last season Turner's PER was 11,6 as in all his seasons, WS/48 was 0,065, he is not the 10th player he was performing at the same level as Baze 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Last season Turner's PER was 11,6 as in all his seasons, WS/48 was 0,065, he is not the 10th player he was performing at the same level as Baze 

Look again.  We are taking about playoff performance.

hace 10 minutos, AHF dijo:

Look again.  We are taking about playoff performance.

That is not a fair comparison, you cannot take the worst numbers on a small sample for Evans and not for the rest of the players you are comparing... They have not even play the playoffs

On regular season he was better than Baze, Bembry and Prince on PER, BPM and WS, and comparable to Lin.

Edited by gurpilo

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

That is not a fair comparison, you cannot take the worst numbers on a small sample for Evans and not for the rest of the players you are comparing... They have not even play the playoffs

On regular season he was better than Baze, Bembry and Prince on PER, BPM and WS, and comparable to Lin.

Kg said he was the first or second best player on the Trailblazers last season in the Denver series and I gave his playoff numbers and compared him to other Blazers.  It is almost 1/5 of a season worth of games.  No idea why you are comparing him to Hawks.  He didn’t play for the Hawks last year so he couldn’t rank anywhere compared to his teammates because the Hawks weren’t his teammates.

Again, we were talking playoff performance.  This is not a new trend for Turner either.  He steps his game down for the playoffs.  Not a personal issue - just super easy to scheme for someone that plays 1-3 and can’t shoot a jumper.

Watch games, AH.  POR doesn't make it past round 1 w/o Turner's contributions.  Lillard was chokin their life away til Turner saved his bacon.

This ain't rotisserie sports where all yer doing is working a calculator.

#AgendaSquawkReturns 

I checked all Turner's, watch just a little bit of game tape and I will see, Turner will likely be a net negative again. His last net positive year was with Boston and they were better when he was on the bench. 

The great positive I am expecting from Turner is he defends 3 and 4s better than the norm for a reserve and he really defends well in limited mins. 

But his creation is low. His passing vision while good is nullified by his decision making skills and truly, he is at his best as a detriment to others. Turner is only good with offensive gravity around him. It's going to be interesting to see how he fits with us. After further reviewing him, I am almost thinking Bembry at the 1 might be our best bet if we can keep his mistakes to an average and play through Parker. Livingston has to be a #1 option. While Turner is a massive upgrade over Adams, Lin could still be a better fit for us than Turner if he doesn't adjust his game. 

That means, less ball stopping, attempting to at least try to move without the Basketball and just playing through Parker and focusing on defense and rebounding. His decision making skills really just leads to a lot of TOs. He is the same quality of risk taking passing as Trae but with 1000x less the playmaking ability. He just does more harm than good if you review all of his metrics. From the little I seen, tape not the highlights, the eye test sucks. 

Portland clearly won the trade if we are going by those things. The hope is, we can limit his need to create decisions by playing through Parker who showcase some of this ability for the Wizards which is unique as we have no record of it at Duke, MIL or CHI. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Watch games, AH.  POR doesn't make it past round 1 w/o Turner's contributions.  Lillard was chokin their life away til Turner saved his bacon.

#AgendaSquawkReturns 

Both can be true. Turner does contribute to winning but his weaknesses really contribute to losing. The Josh Smith effect (12/13).

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

#AgendaSquawkReturns 

Tend to watch games myself and don't see Turner as much of an answer for much of anything for anyone. Even when in Boston which think most folks believe was his best stretch. He just simply was/is not enough. So pretty much fits into Schlenk's growth as a team plan period, win but maybe not too much. Keeping Trae on the court will equal wins but not sure at all about Turner out there. Worked out well for Baze at least for now. Turner would struggle in Big3 do believe. They don't pay eighteen million per do they?