Free Agency 2019

JayBirdHawk

4 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Hey, Supes.... Danny Green says that he doesn't believe KL going to the Lakers was a real thing: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27170710/green-kawhi-wanted-own-route-not-lakers

Lebron and KL teaming up in LA was a fantasy of the drive by media.

Danny Green doesn't know ish. Lakers wren't holding out for the last minute for nothing. Clippers weren't desperately seeking a second star for nothing. I think the team that really had no chance was the Raptors, he wasn't going back to Canada.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

My thinking on Adam is I like him as a player without a doubt, but at what cost and does he fit our timeline? I just feel like Trae can many any center look pretty good so we don’t need to go spend as much there unless it’s for a top 5 center or something which Adams is not. It’s like I either want a tier 1 center or a tier 3, I don’t want a tier 2 which Adams is in the NBA imo. 

Adams is 25. He's not the perfect C but I'd take a chance. Next offseason he will be an expiring contract.

Chandler Parson for Steven Adams straight up, OKC reduces the protection on the 2022 pick they owe us to top 6.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Danny Green doesn't know ish. Lakers wren't holding out for the last minute for nothing. Clippers weren't desperately seeking a second star for nothing. I think the team that really had no chance was the Raptors, he wasn't going back to Canada.

The Lakers are not a well run franchise. They are and have been desperate while Green seems to be at least somewhat close to KL.

i’ll listen to him over ESPN’s paid people who worship Lebron and the big market franchises.

Edited by Plainview1981

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I'll put it this way then

Turner>Dunn

But that is irrelevant to sturt's post.  All he is saying is that Dunn will land somewhere which will likely push another player into FA.  His focus isn't on Dunn.  It is on the player being added to the FA pool.  That is the "umph" of his post and he is asking if you agree with that sequence of events.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Adams is 25. He's not the perfect C but I'd take a chance. Next offseason he will be an expiring contract.

Chandler Parson for Steven Adams straight up, OKC reduces the protection on the 2022 pick they owe us to top 6.

On the one hand, OKC isn't nearly as motivated to lop off Adams' salary now, ie, not having the same tax concerns.

On the other hand, if they decide to move Paul to MIA, we're one of the few teams that can help them do that b/c they're said to need to clear about $3.7m since MIA has a hard cap and less than $1m in space. (ref: https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/07/11/reports-thunder-gm-to-meet-with-chris-paul-help-trade-him-to-preferred-destination/)

But it has to be something that works for us, of course. And, now that they have this abundance of picks at their disposal, arguably they may be easier to deal with on that front.

Here are the basic elements of a deal that I think might be worth considering:

To ATL

Steven Adams, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (salaries ~$29.8m)

To OKC

Chandler Parsons (salary ~$25.1m)

That nets out for OKC about $4.7m in room, whereas they only need about $3.7m.

We end up having to take on an additional big salary on next year's payroll (Adams). That's not a dealbreaker, but it's certainly a significant negative.

Otoh, that significant negative could be somewhat if not largely neutralized in getting Gilgeous-Alexander on his rookie contract, who would seem to be that tall, solid defender, 2nd PG that would complement our 1st PG nicely.

Of course, the trick would seem to be, could Presti and Schlenk come to agreement on the rest of the deal, ostensibly some improvement on our rights to their 2022 pick that seems destined to end up as two 2nd rounders instead.

• Like 2

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, sturt said:

On the one hand, OKC isn't nearly as motivated to lop off Adams' salary now, ie, not having the same tax concerns.

On the other hand, if they decide to move Paul to MIA, we're one of the few teams that can help them do that b/c they're said to need to clear about $3.7m since MIA has a hard cap and less than $1m in space. (ref: https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/07/11/reports-thunder-gm-to-meet-with-chris-paul-help-trade-him-to-preferred-destination/)

But it has to be something that works for us, of course. And, now that they have this abundance of picks at their disposal, arguably they may be easier to deal with on that front.

To ATL

To OKC

We end up having to take on an additional big salary on next year's payroll (Adams). That's not a dealbreaker, but it's certainly a significant negative.

Otoh, that significant negative could be somewhat if not largely neutralized in getting Gilgeous-Alexander on his rookie contract, who would seem to be that tall, solid defender, 2nd PG that would complement our 1st PG nicely.

Of course, the trick would seem to be, could Presti and Schlenk come to agreement on the rest of the deal, ostensibly some improvement on our rights to their 2022 pick that seems destined to end up as two 2nd rounders instead.

We [edit: brutally destroy them] them in that trade.  Taking on an additional year of Adams salary is a pittance to get SGA.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sturt said:

To ATL

To OKC

I think I'm pickin' up what yer puttin' down, sturt.  However, from OKC's perspective, wouldn't they be motivated to keep SGA as a prize from all their wheelings/dealings?

And would SGA have a place here among our wangs?

Legit question, not trying to pick a fight (for once).  And it took me a while, had to take a break midway, but I actually did read your whole post this time.  No skimming.

• Moderators

Check out OKC's future.  Wow.  :blink:

OKC 1sts:
2020 Own (1-20)  (ATL 21+ :sad:)
2020 DEN (11-30)
2021 Own (HOU 5-30 swap right)
2021 MIA (HOU 5-30 swap right)
2022 Own (1-14)
2022 LAC
2023 Own (LAC swap right)
2023 MIA (15-30)
2024 Own
2024 LAC
2024 HOU (5-30)
2025 Own (LAC and HOU 21-30 swap right)
2026 Own
2026 LAC
2026 HOU (5-30)

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Check out OKC's future.  Wow.  :blink:

OKC 1sts:
2020 Own (1-20)  (ATL 21+ :sad:)
2020 DEN (11-30)
2021 Own (HOU 5-30 swap right)
2021 MIA (HOU 5-30 swap right)
2022 Own (1-14)
2022 LAC
2023 Own (LAC swap right)
2023 MIA (15-30)
2024 Own
2024 LAC
2024 HOU (5-30)
2025 Own (LAC and HOU 21-30 swap right)
2026 Own
2026 LAC
2026 HOU (5-30)

Looks good on paper but the reality isn't as great if you really think about it.

• Moderators
Just now, kg01 said:

Looks good on paper but the reality isn't as great if you really think about it.

Time will tell.  There is a lot of upside there but it is impossible to know if one of LA, HOU and MIA goes NJN over the next 5 years.  If they all remain playoff teams over that time it won't mean nearly so much but I suspect one of them will have something go wrong.  Either way, should give them some interesting options as the window will slam shut on these teams when they do fall off.

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, AHF said:

We *brutally destroy* them in that trade.  Taking on an additional year of Adams salary is a pittance to get SGA.

6 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

That is a huge understatement ... SGA is their future potential star.  He was prob the main reason the George trade got done.  He is NOT or never will be a throw in.  Extremely lopsided trade in our favor

30 minutes ago, kg01 said:

However, from OKC's perspective, wouldn't they be motivated to keep SGA as a prize from all their wheelings/dealings?

31 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't see them trading SGA. He wasn't just a toss in for a trade. I think they see him as a big part of the future going forward.

You're right.

Not inconceivable, but more likely Presti would counter with

S. Adams + Patterson

for

Parsons + J. Adams

Still ends up in that same net neighborhood in terms of salaries.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

How so?  The team giving up the stupid picks ends up surpassing the team accepting the stupid picks?

Kawhi and George only committed for 3 more years max. Houston's window will be closing in 3 years also.  Those picks past 2022 will be lottery picks

• Admin
23 minutes ago, AHF said:

We [edit: brutally destroy them] them in that trade.  Taking on an additional year of Adams salary is a pittance to get SGA.

That is a huge understatement ... SGA is their future potential star.  He was prob the main reason the George trade got done.  He is NOT or never will be a throw in.  Extremely lopsided trade in our favor

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sturt said:

To ATL

To OKC

Wtf. How many places u gonna post this trade. I give my 2 cents on it and come here and find that every kg, d*ck and Harry gave theirs already! 😡 

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wtf. How many places u gonna post this trade. I give my 2 cents on it and come here and find that every kg, d*ck and Harry gave theirs already! 😡 

Gave my $.02....I’m not kg or Harry....

Hey, wait a minute!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1