• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2019

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

There are a ton of sites describing how raw he is pre-draft.  The last article I quoted literally says he may not go as high as some lottery projections because other big men are more NBA ready than him.  He in fact went outside of the first round where a lot of mocks had him going.  Why did he go behind the first round NBA big men?  You know my view.  It was how raw he was.

So if you don't think it was because of how raw he is, to what do you attribute it?  Was it NBA GMs not thinking he was tall or strong enough?  Scouts thinking he wasn't long enough?  GMs and scouts thinking he lacked upside?

I am still telling you that I believe it was about NBA readiness and that I am really excited we landed him as low as we did because I think he has the tools to be really good but that it is going to take time and development before he'll be ready.  I don't see much for him in 2019.  Hoping he is making big developments in 2020.  (Actually, hoping he is already making big developments this summer and can push his way into a serious role as early as possible.)

• Like 4

• Premium Member

@AHF , is there something in that that somehow responds to what I said in the previous post or that the article cited said? Because, at least on first reading, I didn't pick up on anything other than what you've already said... and already said more than once.

The only possible thing I can find in that that's new to give response is to say that it's not enough to say the words "he's raw" when there are 15-20 others who also were described as "raw." Raw is a matter of degree. Why he dropped? Maybe his shooting at the combine. That seems to be the only different thing between the time he was getting mocked in the #10-#15 range with some regularity and later.

Raw maybe a bad word. He is polished at certain things at this moment but he is raw in what NBA teams will request him to do much less a team like us which uses bigs completely different. 

For example,  some will say Cam Reddish is raw but I think is a polished. He was raw for a number of what Duke asked of him to do or in some cases, just not good. But he is a polished as he could play his game ASAP. The Hawks play his game. 

So polish and raw could be misconstrued. I tend to say raw but thinking in the manner of lacking polish in what he needs to do in the NBA.

All three of the guys with drafted last year lacked polished in what we needed them to do. Kevin lacked mental as well at first. 

It's all about what are you asking for?

• Like 1

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, sturt said:

@AHF , is there something in that that somehow responds to what I said in the previous post or that the article cited said? Because, at least on first reading, I didn't pick up on anything other than what you've already said... and already said more than once.

The only possible thing I can find in that that's new to give response is to say that it's not enough to say the words "he's raw" when there are 15-20 others who also were described as "raw." Raw is a matter of degree. Why he dropped? Maybe his shooting at the combine. That seems to be the only different thing between the time he was getting mocked in the #10-#15 range with some regularity and later.

You are right on that.  There isn't equivalency between the other bigs being mocked in the same range as far as how much development is needed.  Using review from the same large media site as a comparison:

Bruno

Fernando is still a work in progress in a number of important facets. He's a poor decision-maker (21 percent turnover rate), and his overall production and efficiency drop significantly when going up against better competition. Most concerning is how little impact he has on the defensive end of the floor, where his poor awareness, instincts and basketball IQ are demonstrated far too frequently. Fernando gives up deep post position too easily, bites on every shot fake, takes poor angles on pick-and-rolls, gets lost off the ball constantly and looks extremely limited switching onto ball handlers outside the paint. His fundamentals are poor and his intensity level fluctuates regularly, as he simply doesn't know how to operate at maximum intensity without fouling.

Hayes

Struggled to stay on the floor at times for Texas due to foul trouble (six fouls per 40 minutes). 

Lacks a degree of physicality on the defensive glass. Averaged only 8.9 rebounds per 40. Game moves a little too fast for him at times. Generated only one assist every 83 minutes played, by far the worst rate among likely draft picks. 

Will need to add strength. Likely will need time to adjust to the speed and physicality of the NBA game.

Goga

Struggles to cover ground defensively, especially when on an island on the perimeter. Projects as mostly a drop defender in pick-and-rolls. 

Average passer who struggles to make quick decisions with the ball in his hands. Plays a sped-up brand of basketball at times. 

Isn't always as decisive of a perimeter shooter as you might hope, especially relative to his strong percentages. Career 63% free throw percentage indicates he has room to improve in this area. Gets in his own head at times. Could stand to improve his toughness. 

Clarke

Doesn't possess elite physical tools for a modern 4/5 at 6-foot-8 with narrow shoulders, short arms and small hands. Lacks a degree of physical upside at age 22.6. Upright runner with choppy steps. Can he handle the league's jumbo bigs when he's at center? 

Offensive game is better suited for the center spot, because he doesn't space the floor as a shooter or handle the ball that cleanly. Shoots on the way down in mid-range spots. Has taken only 25 career 3s in 2,631 minutes. Upright with the ball in his hands. Predictable off the bounce, too often driving hard left and trying to spin back right. 

Lacks a degree of fundamentals defensively. Upright in his stance. Gets by on instincts and athletic gifts at this stage.

Kabe

Lack of experience shows up frequently in his decision-making. Somewhat of a black hole offensively -- dished out just 11 assists in 800 minutes. Can get a little predictable at times, looking to shoot at the first sign of daylight. 

Not always a disciplined defender. Averaged over five fouls per-40 minutes, which partially explains why he played only 22 MPG. Fundamentals and awareness are a work in progress at times, especially defending off the ball. 
Will turn 22 in August, potentially limiting his upside case. 

As an aside, I'm not sure why the formatting on their assessment of Bruno is different but that is how they formatted them.  

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

omfg.gif

AH has been hacked again!

Deja vu. Weird last time this happened we all went away for a while. 🤔 

BTW.. Did Supes use the word misconstrued in his other post up top? Ahhh I dunno what the hell is going on, Bizarro world 🌍 or not I love it 🥰 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

New possible plan that dawned on me just today...

So, Randle on the remaining 2-way... and...

https://pippenainteasy.com/2019/07/01/chicago-bulls-3-best-free-agency-targets-remaining/4/

2019-07-21_1608.png

Deng, when you think about it, is another ideal guy to fill the vet slot that Schlenk is said to be prepared to move on... and he might be more content than Vince or Shaun to play sparing minutes... and he's a legit PF body with some SF skills, so he would fit the 6th bigs slot probably better than most options.

And... even better... he's another guy that Grant Hill would almost certainly welcome personally to the roster, right?

giphy.gif

Weekly hot-take from kg:

I'd take Wiggins over Towns.

At least you know what Wiggins issues are.  Towns is Kevin Love with a tan and a greater organizational leash.  Listening to his comments last week about how basketball isn't the main thing for them as an organization, blah, blah, blah ... 

Dude's fake as heyul.  Plays no defense and has questionable heart just like Wiggins.  Plus he's soft as baby voodoo (shout out 2LiveStews, RIP)

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Weekly hot-take from kg:

At least you know what Wiggins issues are.  Towns is Kevin Love with a tan and a greater organizational leash.  Listening to his comments last week about how basketball isn't the main thing for them as an organization, blah, blah, blah ... 

Dude's fake as heyul.  Plays no defense and has questionable heart just like Wiggins.  Plus he's soft as baby voodoo (shout out 2LiveStews, RIP)

I love it! I agree to some extent but I think they are both losers. Sorry Soth. You gotta call a spade ♠️ a spade ♠️. How many years do we give Towns? Wiggins? If I’m Minny I recognize 2 years ago that this is a mistake and just give up and rebuild. You’re not going anywhere with Town...ur not going anywhere with Wiggins.

I’d also like to agree with your Sam Presti comments from last week. Why is that dude getting a pass. I dunno. Have you been busy in life? You don’t comment much. Notice I didn’t say work cuz Sturt said you were a hobo.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, kg01 said:

Weekly hot-take from kg:

You take Towns over Wiggins every day of the week.  Towns does some things really, really well -- including scoring and rebounding.  I compared him with Love like a week ago so I can't say that is offbase but I also think that there is still legit upside with him.  He was 23 last season - same age as 2019 lottery pick Cameron Johnson.  

With Wiggins I think you know exactly what you are getting and he doesn't do anything particularly well.  He volume scores but doesn't do it efficiently so you don't even get value from that.  Beyond that?  He is poor to mediocre at everything else.

Wiggins is going to be a cap clogging liability for a championship contender.  Towns could fit easily as a second or third best player on a contender.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I love it! I agree to some extent but I think they are both losers. Sorry Soth. You gotta call a spade ♠️ a spade ♠️. How many years do we give Towns? Wiggins? If I’m Minny I recognize 2 years ago that this is a mistake and just give up and rebuild. You’re not going anywhere with Town...ur not going anywhere with Wiggins.

I’d also like to agree with your Sam Presti comments from last week. Why is that dude getting a pass. I dunno. Have you been busy in life? You don’t comment much. Notice I didn’t say work cuz Sturt said you were a hobo.

Yeah, I'm definitely busy with "life" considering I am indeed a hobo.  A hobo with internet access.  That's a dangerous combination.

And I forgot about soth 'n the timberpups.  I really don't need saphron on my case again.  Is it too late to make that post private?  Oh man, he's gonna tear me a new one.

I stand by my comments though.  I've never liked Towns.

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

You take Towns over Wiggins every day of the week.  Towns does some things really, really well -- including scoring and rebounding.  I compared him with Love like a week ago so I can't say that is offbase but I also think that there is still legit upside with him.  He was 23 last season - same age as 2019 lottery pick Cameron Johnson.  

With Wiggins I think you know exactly what you are getting and he doesn't do anything particularly well.  He volume scores but doesn't do it efficiently so you don't even get value from that.  Beyond that?  He is poor to mediocre at everything else.

Wiggins is going to be a cap clogging liability for a championship contender.  Towns could fit easily as a second or third best player on a contender.

The great thing about this post is that, deep down, you totally agree with me.  That blue in your veins won't allow you to come out and say it so you got as close to agreeing as you could.  Respeck, AH.

Towns is a 23yo lost cause because MIN is all-in on him as their alpha.  He's just not that.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The great thing about this post is that, deep down, you totally agree with me.  That blue in your veins won't allow you to come out and say it so you got as close to agreeing as you could.  Respeck, AH.

Towns is a 23yo lost cause because MIN is all-in on him as their alpha.  He's just not that.

Yeah, I think there is a very good chance his team can't win big with him as the alpha but wouldn't totally rule it out due to age -- some guys need to be a little older than he is before they commit to being defenders.  He can definitely be a key part of a winning team but if the clear #1....then I'm not confident in where that team is going.  

I suspect that MIN is all-in with him as the alpha because they know they won't land any game changing FAs and they aren't going to get anyone better than him under any foreseeable path forward.

If he wants to be more than Love 2.0, he needs to step it up on defense big time.  At least his tools there are better than Love's but we've not seen the dedication on that end of the floor.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yeah, I think there is a very good chance his team can't win big with him as the alpha but wouldn't totally rule it out due to age -- some guys need to be a little older than he is before they commit to being defenders.  He can definitely be a key part of a winning team but if the clear #1....then I'm not confident in where that team is going.  

I suspect that MIN is all-in with him as the alpha because they know they won't land any game changing FAs and they aren't going to get anyone better than him under any foreseeable path forward.

If he wants to be more than Love 2.0, he needs to step it up on defense big time.  At least his tools there are better than Love's but we've not seen the dedication on that end of the floor.  

All right so let's get down to the real issue now.  When soth comes after you, I got yer back and you better have mine.