• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2019

JayBirdHawk

Doncic had 3 years of professional ball under his belt before he was drafted.  Add his one year in the NBA and he is entering his 5th season in the profession.  Trae has had one year plus one school year.  Quiet a difference.

Did the Hawks win or lose on their deal?  Depends on what Cam Reddish does with the Hawks.  Trae + a draft pick last season = #10 this season = Cam.  If our draft pick is any good at all, I believe we won, big time.

If we totally blew the pick and Cam is a dud, I'm still satisfied.  Hawks got the PG that they needed.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, AHF said:

How do you evaluate Doncic?  His team went into one of the biggest mid-season tank jobs we've seen in recent years.  They clearly did not want to win and gave away all their starters other than him. 

Dallas was 27-45 with Doncic and 6-4 without him last year...Just saying

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I sensed that's what you were doing.  Ha. 

It was either that or...

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

No, no, you just don't get it.

They were tanking with him playing but ... when he wasn't playing they were ... not tanking?

nonsense.gif

I’d turn into this chick with the eye 👁 twitch.

• Moderators

LMAO at anyone who doesn't think Dallas is better with Doncic.  Come on.  Like Atlanta was 1.2 points better with Trae Young on the bench last year than when he was on the floor.  http://www.82games.com/1819/1819ATL.HTM  

Does anyone think Trae made the Hawks worse?  Really?  Don't bring that weak junk in here on either of them.

(Also, Doncic is over 6 months younger than Trae.  They are basically the same age but you can't argue with a straight face that Trae is somehow disadvantaged by this.)

Both of them are big-time assets to their teams.  Just leave it at that and let them play it out.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

LMAO at anyone who doesn't think Dallas is better with Doncic.  Come on.  

Like Atlanta was 1.2 points better with Trae Young on the bench last year than when he was on the floor.  Does anyone think Trae made the Hawks worse?

Don't bring that weak junk in here on either of them.

Winning!!!!  Not points within a game.  Plus I'm assuming that Trae played aginst the other team's starters whereas Lin played against back ups!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Winning!!!!  Not points within a game.  Plus I'm assuming that Trae played aginst the other team's starters whereas Lin played against back ups!

SSS 

Please tell me you understand that.  If you want to stake your reputation on Dallas being worse with Doncic because of Doncic over the long-term then go ahead and say it and we'll see if you are right.  But I'll tell you now that I think the idea that Doncic makes Dallas worse is just silly - the same as anyone who wanted to argue that with Trae. 

There are numbers you could use to make that argument but I think they are very weak to establish causation and long-term projections.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Small Sample Size.  Very important concept for understanding the significance and predictive value of numbers.

That's is why I said that you can't use last year to determine whether Doncic impacts winning or not because the numbers don't support such a claim,

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

That's is why I said that you can't use last year to determine whether Doncic impacts winning or not because the numbers don't support such a claim,

The numbers that are most predictive do support it.  You win / loss ad hoc numbers are not predictive which is why no statistician uses them this way.  Too many variables that aren't addressed.

Impact on winning is precisely what the Win Share number, BPM, VORP, all address.  These numbers go into the future predictions for him and other players.

(As an aside, I should have made this more obvious but none of these are future looking metrics.  They are present metrics.  They are used as part of, but not entirely by any means, the metrics for projecting future performance.  W/L record with a player is not.)

I'm going to leave it at that but I don't like seeing our fans crap on Doncic to prop up Trae.  Trae doesn't need that type of false support.  He is good enough to carry himself.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, AHF said:

Impact on winning is precisely what the Win Share number, BPM, VORP, all address.  These numbers go into the future predictions for him and other players.

Then According to VORP and BPM  Willie Cauley-Stein has a much brighter future than John Collins.

• Moderators

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Then According to VORP and BPM  Willie Cauley-Stein has a much brighter future than John Collins.

WCS is a much bigger impact defender.  That is where his value is driven.  John's improvement in that area will put him leaps and bounds over WCS.

On the winning games, though, I found that our best player was Jordan Sibert last season.  We won 100% of games where he played and only 35% of our games overall.  

Tyler Zeller was our second best player.  We won 50% of games where he played.

Impressive indeed.

• Premium Member

I love the Dragan signing for Bud's sake. That could end up being sheer genius. I suppose we didn't bite because evidently there's some limit to how many young-uns our GM and/or HC believe one should have on the roster. And I grant them their better wisdom than mine on that, but he may have been the most productive 21 year-old on our team going into training camp if he'd been brought on.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

I love the Dragan signing for Bud's sake. That could end up being sheer genius. I suppose we didn't bite because evidently there's some limit to how many young-uns our GM and/or HC believe one should have on the roster. And I grant them their better wisdom than mine on that, but he may have been the most productive 21 year-old on our team going into training camp if he'd been brought on.

I'm with you on wishing we would have brought in another one like him with potential to really improve.  Hopefully Pierce and TS see that kind of upside in some of the young guys (other than just Parker) that we did bring in.

Hey, all you cap nerds!  I have a question.  I've heard this concept thrown around a lot in regards to trying to figure out a way to fix the issue(s) of non-destination teams being unable to keep their stars.

What about the concept of an uncapped player or a player where a team can elect to only have X% applied to the cap?

That way, it frees up space to build around your star rather than having that star's salary eat up your cap thereby hindering you from building up a team around them.

Thoughts?

• Like 1