• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2019

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, AHF said:

WCS is a much bigger impact defender.  That is where his value is driven.  John's improvement in that area will put him leaps and bounds over WCS.

Regardless of the reason, Its a poor predictor of future success.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Doncic = Great.

Trae = Great.

Trae + Cam = Really, really great !

I sure wouldn't trade Trae and Cam for Doncic, even up.  Would you?

:smug:

I honestly wouldn't trade Trae for Luka straight up right now but i'm sure there are plenty that would.

But yes, where are the folks saying we lost the trade?  Trae+Cam for Luka is going to look really good I predict.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Regardless of the reason, Its a poor predictor of future success.

Since I wasn't clear enough (I edited my post) and you don't understand the numbers, let me clarify that WS, etc. are not predictors of future success.  The drivers behind those numbers (which meaningfully measure current performance not predict the future) and are used in metrics that do predict future performance.  None of these things are perfect (no scouting is perfect) but there are all immeasurably more accurate than looking ad hoc at a team's winning % with and without a player in the lineup.  No one uses that because it is shown to be meaningless.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Since I wasn't clear enough (I edited my post) and you don't understand the numbers, let me clarify that WS, etc. are not predictors of future success.  The drivers behind those numbers (which meaningfully measure current performance not predict the future) and are used in metrics that do predict future performance.  None of these things are perfect (no scouting is perfect) but there are all immeasurably more accurate than looking ad hoc at a team's winning % with and without a player in the lineup.  No one uses that because it is shown to be meaningless.

Like I said before, I don't care what the metrics say...Wins and losses are the only thing that matter.  If the team wins more with you out of the line up vs when you're in the line up, I don't care what metrics say about Kyrie Irving.  So last year no one can make the case that Doncic made the Mavericks better at winning games

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Like I said before, I don't care what the metrics say...Wins and losses are the only thing that matter.  If the team wins more with you out of the line up vs when you're in the line up, I don't care what metrics say about Kyrie Irving.  So last year no one can make the case that Doncic made the Mavericks better at winning games

Tell me how you conclude that a team's win % with you in the lineup versus when you're not in the line up is statistically significant without controlling for any variables.

This stands against every statistician who does predictive analysis of NBA players so I assume you have some basis for thinking this is a better approach to analyzing player impact than what people who do this for a living have produced.

(Again, Jordan Sibert rates best on the Hawks 2018-19 season by this standard.)

• Premium Member

Future Hall of Famer Vince Carter plans on playing one more season in the NBA, but he doesn’t have a team yet.

“We are still working on it,” Carter told The Post in a conference room at the NBA’s Midtown offices following a sitdown he had with commissioner Adam Silver. “In the pecking order, I know where I fall.”.............

What hasn’t been his thing is trying to hook up with a team just to pick up a ring.

“Not my thing,” Carter.

Why?

“Just not my thing,” Carter said. “I prefer to play because I know I can compete at that level. That’s what I enjoy.”

He would go to a contender, of course, but he wants to be part of a rotation, no matter where he ends up.....

https://nypost.com/2019/07/25/vince-carter-will-be-top-tv-free-agent-after-final-nba-season

image.gif

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, sturt said:

Definitely wish Carter the best.  Tough to see him getting many minutes here with Huerter, Bembry, Crabbe, Hunter, Reddish, Collins and Parker covering his potential positions.  If he could play PG or C there could be a role for him but alas that isn't the case.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Atlanta Hawks: C-

atl.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Strong drafting has put the Hawks in position to build around a young core of Trae Young, John Collins and Kevin Huerter. Though this offseason hasn't changed that fact, Atlanta doesn't appear to have maximized its resources after adding a pair of first-round picks in a deal with the Brooklyn Nets that set up Brooklyn's second max spot for free agency.

The Hawks' key move was using two of their three first-round picks to trade up to No. 4 overall and take Virginia forward De'Andre Hunter, who rated outside the top-10 prospects by all three ESPN-related stat-based draft projections. Trading up generally yields poor value, and in a draft with little consensus outside the top three, Atlanta had better be right about Hunter.

Swapping Kent Bazemore for Evan Turner was tough to rationalize as more than a favor to Bazemore; the Hawks might have been better off buying out Bazemore and signing a backup point guard in free agency.

Atlanta still has about $7 million in cap space after signing Jabari Parker to a two-year, $13 million deal. We'll see what that might yield by the trade deadline with every other team operating over the cap.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27251300/nba-offseason-grades-best-worst-east-moves

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Strong drafting has put the Hawks in position to build around a young core of Trae Young, John Collins and Kevin Huerter. Though this offseason hasn't changed that fact, Atlanta doesn't appear to have maximized its resources after adding a pair of first-round picks in a deal with the Brooklyn Nets that set up Brooklyn's second max spot for free agency.

The Hawks' key move was using two of their three first-round picks to trade up to No. 4 overall and take Virginia forward De'Andre Hunter, who rated outside the top-10 prospects by all three ESPN-related stat-based draft projections. Trading up generally yields poor value, and in a draft with little consensus outside the top three, Atlanta had better be right about Hunter.

Editor's Picks

Swapping Kent Bazemore for Evan Turner was tough to rationalize as more than a favor to Bazemore; the Hawks might have been better off buying out Bazemore and signing a backup point guard in free agency.

Atlanta still has about $7 million in cap space after signing Jabari Parker to a two-year, $13 million deal. We'll see what that might yield by the trade deadline with every other team operating over the cap.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27251300/nba-offseason-grades-best-worst-east-moves

I liked our offseason a lot more than they did. I gave us an A. The draft was critical we got my #2 and #4 player on my Hawks big board. 1. Zion 2. Cam 3. R.J. and 4. Hunter and I had a major gap after 4. So I was happy. I liked the Parker signing. The only miscue was not resigning Dedmon which I had expected. 

Overall great summer from my perspective. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Editor's Picks

Whose this chucker? How do we get a C-?

Hater alert 🚨. Who wrote this? I wanna know his name. Lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

One of those so called Experts that @AHFwas affectionately referring to in an earlier post

A  C- though? That’s like not even possible. The lowest would be a C+ or B- if you really hate us I’d think.

I also have my doubts about Hunter although I understand why we did it, he was the player that improved the team the most, we needed some good defense. However his offensive talent is a questionmark for me and summer league only made me more nervous. Hopefully playing with Trae will make things for him easier, his 3pt FG% also makes me think he will be good enough on the offensive end.

At the end for me it will be Hunter vs Hayes and Clarke. Will he be good enough the investment?

• Premium Member

Until proven otherwise, I trust Schlenk's opinion more than my own.

Conveniently enough, he and I thought/think alike evidently where it concerns Cam and Bruno, and so I figure to give him benefit of a doubt on DHunt.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I also have my doubts about Hunter although I understand why we did it, he was the player that improved the team the most, we needed some good defense. However his offensive talent is a questionmark for me and summer league only made me more nervous. Hopefully playing with Trae will make things for him easier, his 3pt FG% also makes me think he will be good enough on the offensive end.

At the end for me it will be Hunter vs Hayes and Clarke. Will he be good enough the investment?

I honestly do not think we expect big offensive numbers from Hunter. As long as he plays good defence and hits the open 3-ball we will be in a good position.

I think Cam is the one who will deliver with the second unit along side Jabari when it comes to O numbers. In fact if those two click I can see it get down right scary to face our second unit.

We have gone from very little offense on the second unit to potentially being very explosive in just one summer! I like how the front office is putting this together. Put our junkyard dawg out on the floor with his high energy and we could be looking at an top level bench this year

• Like 1

I think Jeremy Lin will be heading overseas.

Jeremy Lin is CSKA Moscow’s top target at guard position, a source told Sportando. The EuroLeague and VTB League reigning champions need a guard to finalize the roster for next season and they made an offer to the NBA champion who is actually free agent.

He himself a few days ago stated that he would consider playing in Asia.   So I guess it is either Russia or Asia.  

I read on NBA rumors that Vince Carter and the Hawks were working on a deal.  I hope this means that we keep him for his final year.  With all our youth, we need his vast experience and knowledge to be a part of this team.  Worth his weight in gold, as the old saying goes!

:air_kiss:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

That is disappointing for Lin.  Hoped he would find a good landing spot this offseason to contribute.  Maybe now that he is an NBA champion he feels he's reached the mountaintop and the biggest bidder and/or a starting job are worth more.

• Confused 1