• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our new injury prone Bench of Vets...better or worse?

JTB

Personally squawk and I know most of you aren’t really for the addition of the majority of these vets but  I like the vets Schlenk has thrown together and added on the bench ....mainly because I just have a love for efficient shooting and each vet added has shown some efficiency in shooting over their career somewhere on the floor! Maybe not the 3ball necessarily but somewhere.

If healthy (BIG IF for Crabbe, Parsons, Parker ....I know!) they could actually have some very decent to good impact from the bench/spot minutes they play.

Pg-Turner (can’t shoot but can run point for us vs second units good enough and at the very least he was efficient inside the perimeter this past season...not necessarily our most efficient player but I will take it)

Sg-Crabbe (sucks at defense but hey the guy can efficiently knock down the 3 ball all day and always has been able to)

Sf-Parsons (I use to think was pretty good defender before the injuries started but I’m sure that’s a loss cause now...at the very least like he said a week ago “he is typically still a very efficient player offensively when he is healthy enough to play”....which I can agree to)

Pf- Parker (worlds worse defender no question but it’s encouraging he played 60+ games and was efficient in his scoring from the field)

Schlenk probably wasn’t trying to but he definitely put together some efficient vets for the bench to help this young team  though some if not most are injury prone lol. But with all the negativity going on I think that’s a HUGE plus to not overlook regarding how efficient these vets can knock down shots . I do wish the defense was there but offensively I love efficient players as much as @Gray Mule loves guys who can hit their free throws!

......Will any of these guys be on the roster past this season? Likely not but If they are it’s more than likely another 1 year expiring deal. 

I would say our bench is better from an offensive perspective with vets that know how to put the ball in the hole. Defensively not much will be offered (outside of maybe turner) unfortunately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

Personally squawk and I know most of you aren’t really for the addition of the majority of these vets but  I like the vets Schlenk has thrown together and added on the bench ....mainly because I just have a love for efficient shooting and each vet added has shown some efficiency in shooting over their career somewhere on the floor! Maybe not the 3ball necessarily but somewhere.

If healthy (BIG IF for Crabbe, Parsons, Parker ....I know!) they could actually have some very decent to good impact from the bench/spot minutes they play.

Pg-Turner (can’t shoot but can run point for us vs second units good enough and at the very least he was efficient inside the perimeter this past season...not necessarily our most efficient player but I will take it)

Sg-Crabbe (sucks at defense but hey the guy can efficiently knock down the 3 ball all day and always has been able to)

Sf-Parsons (I use to think was pretty good defender before the injuries started but I’m sure that’s a loss cause now...at the very least like he said a week ago “he is typically still a very efficient player offensively when he is healthy enough to play”....which I can agree to)

Pf- Parker (worlds worse defender no question but it’s encouraging he played 60+ games and was efficient in his scoring from the field)

Schlenk probably wasn’t trying to but he definitely put together some efficient vets for the bench to help this young team  though some if not most are injury prone lol. But with all the negativity going on I think that’s a HUGE plus to not overlook regarding how efficient these vets can knock down shots . I do wish the defense was there but offensively I love efficient players as much as @Gray Mule loves guys who can hit their free throws!

......Will any of these guys be on the roster past this season? Likely not but If they are it’s more than likely another 1 year expiring deal. 

I would say our bench is better from an offensive perspective with vets that know how to put the ball in the hole. Defensively not much will be offered (outside of maybe turner) unfortunately.

Turner - surrounded by shooters. Less of a need to shoot 3's for him here. We have that already. He has a pulse and handles....He's an upgrade over Adams.

Crabbe - I'm torn, I really am. I just don't have a good or bad feeling about Crabbe. He doesn't make me feel at all. He's like Saltine crackers. Yah, I'll eat em and put some cheese whiz on em and they're okay but I'm not getting off the couch for it. But then again, Bazemore was less attractive than my dogs anus the second half of the year.

Parsons - This is a huge, major upgrade or a wash.....hear me out.  Plumlee was going to get less than 50 minutes this year (barring an injury to Len in which case we're hosed), Hill was going to get less than 50 minutes this year. The 2 combined were going to get less than 1.3 minutes per game total.  So if Parsons gets 15 minutes per game and plays even 75% as well as his best years....It would have gaining a star impact.  Very good Parsons is far better than Vince Carter was last year. Average Parsons is just as good.  Worst case scenario, Parsons' knees invert 10 minutes into the season and the net loss is zero because Parsons has zero impact and so would Hill/Plumlee. But wait, there's more. It cleared a roster spot. The "Parson's" deal isn't done until we offer that 15th contract of which the spot was secured in this trade. The trade (in essence) was Hill/Plumlee for Parsons and whoever we sign (trade for) next.  Basically a huge win if just the next signing works out.

Parker - to me this is the feast or famine player.  If he stays healthy and if he's just the offensive player he was with very average rebounding....he's a steal at 6 to 7 million and effectively taking Justin Anderson's slot now, who we paid $2.5 million last year to play less than 500 minutes and score 178 total points. If he scores 13+ ppg, playing 75+ games and shooting his normal 48+% FG%, its a freaking coup. If he fails to play in 40 games, then the salary is high enough its a total bust.

Last thought. We paid $28 million last year for 2 players who never suited up (Carmelo and Crawford). So 1 point of production for any of these players, 1 assist or 1 blocked shot/steal/rebound and its an instant upgrade.  Parker (imho) is actually playing on a small part Carmelo's salary. Crabbe is playing on the rest plus Crawford's. Its a what do we have to lose thing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

None of these are my first choice as trade targets or FAs, but they're Hawks so I'll root for them. They all just seem to be passing thru Hawkland while we develop our core young players. I'm hoping they mesh well to teach them somethings.

I find Parker the most intriguing because of his age,  24 and a scoring machine but doesn't offer much else. If he's willing, he's still young enough to expand his game further, there is development needed.

The rest, I'm hoping they play well enough to have some trade value at the deadline. However, I'm skeptical regarding TS ability to parlay these 3 expirings into anything of value. It'll be a little tough to trade these large expirings for other expirings. Add to that the idea of maintaining capspace for 2020 offseason.

Illyasova, Belinelli  Lin etc - all bought out. The reason being we were offered 2nds for them but they came with too much future salary attached for the capspace plan.

• Like 2

• Moderators

All of them were problems with their inability to effectively space the floor last year. Turner is a lost cause and Parsons seems totally shot so I have no expectation for any contribution of helping our offense through scoring with them.  

Crabbe and Parker are both guys I expect to positively regress to the mean with their jump shot after pretty terrible jump shooting last year.   Parker has been very consistent closer to the basket.

I think Jay hits the head on the nail that Parker is the only one of these guys with a chance to be on the roster after their current 1 or 2 year contact expires so hopefully they can play some decent minutes and give us enough that our core players have a solid environment to keep growing.  All of these guys present some risk of being disruptive to that to me (Turner with floor spacing, Parsons off the court, Parker being too greedy and too disengaged on D and Crabbe either repeating his shooting from last year or deciding he really doesn’t want to be here).

My guess is we’ll end up with a mixed bag with some of these guys being successful parts of this year’s team and others being cut/trade candidates.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Bazemore was less attractive than my dogs anus the second half of the year.

😐 Bird? 🦅 Are you being held by @kg01 against your will? Blink twice if you need help.

😲 Dog’s anus doesn’t line up with ur history. Kinda like if Sturt said...Skeet skeet lil n...I digress.

Ps Crabbe is my fav out of the bunch. Straight up knock down baller 👶

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The bright side is that Parker and the rest of the veteran bench will be playing against the other team's back ups not their starters.  So their stats might improve because of that reason...Even Parker's defensive stats will look much better against scrubs

29 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

😐 Bird? 🦅 Are you being held by @kg01 against your will? Blink twice if you need help.

😲 Dog’s anus doesn’t line up with ur history. Kinda like if Sturt said...Skeet skeet lil n...I digress.

Shows just how strongly I felt about the stink of him.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Shows just how strongly I felt about the stink of him.

Oh wait wut? 😆 I totally thought I was responding to Bird. Hence, the not in line with other posts but since it’s you, it makes sense 😆 Ur not wrong. The Gaze was amazing off the floor and a great all around guy but at best he was a mediocre player. Wish him the best in Portland. He might fit in perfectly with them actually. 

Parker, Evans, Crabbe all bring something positive on the offensive end when compared to Bazemore, who was our best scorer off the bench last year. Where we may take a hit is expecting a rookie to come in and immediately replace Prince. Parsons is a wild card. I am not expecting much but should he deliver, our bench is going to be spectacular.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Not this Bird. :laugh1:. Good looking out thought. The CageyOne mighta got me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not this Bird. :laugh1:. Good looking out thought. The CageyOne mighta got me.

I swear I’m getting old I totally thought you mad the Baze dog 🐕 anus quote but it was camp. 

I was like Phoebe.. MY EYESSSSSS!!! 

• Sad 1

On that Draymond rating, Crabbe was a better defender than Baze, Turner was a good defender and Parker was better than Bembry and Baze. I am not counting on Parsons at all.

I agree this guys are better offense than last years bench but we could also be surprised by their defense

2nd unit

Turner, Crabbe, Reddish, Parker, Damian Jones.

They won't be required to play a bunch of minutes so maybe Chelsea's job to help keep them available will be doable. Could see Parker getting more time than the others.

• Like 1

Chelsea has her work lined up for her already!  Happy that the Hawks have "the best" available to help these needy bench players.  If they can be helped, the Hawks are in the very best position to help them, I believe.

If our bench is 100% healthy, wow!  if not, oh well.

:hi:

The difference between last years bench and this year is clearly talent and fit. Last year had better fit. Baze could play with anybody as could Lin. Len fit most personnel groupings and Bembry fit our personnel last year. This year, I see some issues, not expecting Bembry and Turner to fit on offense like how Baze and him struggled together on that end. Parker should be a fit with Hunter and Cam but I can see Cam and Parker not being an ideal fit. Hunter fits everybody. Crabbe fits offensively with all groups but with Trae and John, he might be a bad fit. 

I worry about the Parsons and Crabbe defensive fit. I worry about Jones and Turner as well. Not as many fits as last year with the bench unit.

I do see a lot more talent. Parsons is better than your average 12th man by a gap. Parker can be an excellent 6th man. Hunter has Iggy off the bench potential although I am not as high on Cam off the bench and think he is just a much better fit with Trae, Kev and John them. Crabbe as a 10th man is good. Jones will be a 8th man and Turner will be the 9th man. Talent wise, we completely upgraded significantly to the point Bembry is spliting 10th man mins with Crabbe. That's pretty good depth now which we lacked last season.

• Like 3