• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vince is Back!

Jody23

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Maybe Y'all didn't read the words that I posted so let me clear the air.  Trae Young and John Collins looked phenomenal on offense mainly because of talent and Pierce's master piece offensive scheme.

John and Trae did not look good on defense mainly because of  lack of effort on both their parts.  John improved after the allstar break but Trae did not.  I guess many want to attribute John's improvement on defense to Vince Carter which would be strange for Vince to wait that long to encourage him to hustle but O.K.  Trae's hustle stats did not improve...In fact they got worse after November for blocks and December for steals.  A good mentor would have seen this early and convinced the player to do these very important to winning things but it didn't happen. 

I'll leave this here!

This commitment to defense must be consistent play-by-play, possession-by-possession. That takes time – and video work. Lots of video work.

The schemes will come later – with more growth and development of his young team. Add those to a solid foundation of prevention and protection principles and the Hawks will be on their way. Pierce will know when he hears his players talking on defense on a consistent basis. Teams don’t talk if they are unsure of the defense, their role or their responsibility.

Then Pierce will fully install his defense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

No argument.  Hawks defense left a lot to be desired last season.  The good news is, there is a lot of room for improvement and we have the coaches who are capable of instructing all our ultra young players. 

So, will the Hawks be better on defense this upcoming season?  Good question.  I must believe, like Peoribird, that not only is it possible, it's probable.  We are told that Trae has added a few pounds, mostly muscles, that should help.  Effort comes with knowledge and we all hope Trae improves his effort.

Hawks drafted three defensive minded players.  Damian Jones was added as a young, defensive center.  With all the turnover in our roster, we most certainly will be a much different team.

Exciting time to be a Hawks fan!

:smug:

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I just knew we would get into these circular arguments because y'all truly don't want to to engage in a discussion but rather just give your opinion and stick with them but in reality those types of stats are hustle stats.  I guess I should understand that people want to believe what they want to believe

You get very defensive when you are relying on a small sample set and get called out on it because it isn't actually statistically significant.  This isn't a circular argument.  It is you pointing to something as evidence when it doesn't mean what you say it means.  You are attributing meaning to numbers when no statistician would tell you that your conclusion is actually supported by those numbers.

Don't know if this tidbit has been posted but Vince signed back for 2.5million.   Looks like he might have a clause in his contract that allows him to block any trades not to his liking.  Did not know Vet Minimum was over 2 million this offseason.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/

Edited by Blunt91

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

Don't know if this tidbit has been posted but Vince signed back for 2.5million.   Looks like he might have a clause in his contract that allows him to block any trades not to his liking.  Did not know Vet Minimum was over 2 million this offseason.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/

Vet Mins:

Years of Experience Salary
0 $838,464
1 $1,349,383
2 $1,512,601
3 $1,567,007
4 $1,621,415
5 $1,757,429
6 $1,893,447
7 $2,029,463
8 $2,165,481
9 $2,176,260
10+ $2,393,887

$1.5 million counts against the Hawks cap.

Players signing 1 year deals can veto trades (standard NBA clause).

• Like 3

Uncle Vince needs to retire a Hawk after his farewell tour. Vinsanity then needs to take Nique’s place alongside Bawb, although I realize the nimbers don’t work and he’ll probably take the higher paying and less traveled studio gig. Wouldn’t hate it if he joined El-P’s staff either.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

It’s a great opportunity,” Carter said. “The big picture of it all, I can still work on life after basketball, broadcasting and just being around that. Close to family. My daughter is now a high schooler so – I don’t talk about my daughter much but she is a high schooler and playing varsity. She is a freshman but she’s playing varsity volleyball so I get a chance to watch her. On off days, I’ll probably make that trip to Charlotte a couple times to watch her play. It all makes sense. For me, I just want it to make sense. If there was a great opportunity elsewhere, I definitely would look into it but I just wanted it all to fit. When you are going into your last year, you just want it to be a smooth ride, for everyone really.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @JayBirdHawk  I'm personally happy that we have VC back.  I believe that he has a great influence, helping our young lads grow into men.  True, as @Peoriabird has said, he may not have helped the Hawks defense, which was horrid.  Coaches and players alike have stated what a great help he was in helping our players to grow.

Stats do not tell the entire story.  They are the cold, hard facts.  That's true.  But, there is more to the game than this, just as there is more to life than figures.

This current Hawk team is still In the growing stage.  VC has the experience to lead this team to greater heights.  And, he will !!

:smug:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everyone seems pretty sold on Vince in the booth after this year but you just never know. He may not want to give up the court or locker room stuff by the end of the season so a staff membership surely would be possible/available. Guessing I am going at this with fingers crossed for the Hawks because his family is actually in Charlotte and his daughter is playing Varsity Volleyball up there. Still seems very possible for us though maybe not right off the bat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just made up my mind: the t-shirt jersey I’m buying to wear to games and watch parties this year (and probably many years beyond) is #15. We already have a (diminished) Superstar who is loyal to and loves the Hawks. Uncle VC is now part of the Hawks legacy.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hazer said:

Just made up my mind: the t-shirt jersey I’m buying to wear to games and watch parties this year (and probably many years beyond) is #15. We already have a (diminished) Superstar who is loyal to and loves the Hawks. Uncle VC is now part of the Hawks legacy.

Glad that your jersey will honor the #15 that wanted to be here and end his career here and not the cat that went ring chasing in Boston....uh, Philly....or where ever else that ends up on his list.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Glad that your jersey will honor the #15 that wanted to be here and end his career here and not the cat that went ring chasing in Boston....uh, Philly....or where ever else that ends up on his list.

I refuse to engage in any Whorefart convo. The traitor 😑 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Just now, hazer said:

I refuse to engage in any Whorefart convo. The traitor 😑 

I’d love them to retire #15. For Uncle VINCE 😳

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Playing in four different decades makes Vince sound like he is twenty years older than he really is. Pretty crazy. Will be a nice event to witness and be a Hawk's fan at the same time. Some lore for us too you know. 

• Like 3

Remembering when VC and AJ were kissing the floor of the final four that they lost, actually they lost two years in a row but the second year they smooched that hardcourt and folks pretty much knew it was NBA from that point on. And now, VC is moving into his last NBA season. Time really flies when your having fun....watching the NBA and in particular our Hawks. Glad Vince will end his playing career with us.  

• Like 3