• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Watching Pels / Mavs......doesn't look like Mavs interested in playing defense...

REHawksFan

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

This may sound crazy but I think Trae will be the better defender. Possibly by the end of this season. Trae just seems much more willing to deal with constant contact and that is what it takes to play defense.

Trae lacks length, Luka lacks lateral quickness. They are going to have to use craft and guile to get by. An NBA all defensive team nod is not on the horizon for either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hawkman said:

Even that may be a stretch since Harden is an elite scorer. He reminds me of Joe Johnson minus the defense. That's not a knock on either player. JJ in his prime carried the Hawks. 

He's a better passer and rebounder than Joe Johnson. JJ was a 5 assist, 5 board guy. Luka's not a great leaper but he has a nose for the ball on the glass, and he is really a creative passer.

10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

An NBA all defensive team nod is not on the horizon for either.

I agree with that lol.

Just saying Trae's lack of fear for physical contact should also work well with fighting through screens and bodying up against similar sized players. I do think Trae can one day be average on D; I don't see that at all for Luka. Luka will always be given the weakest offensive player if that is a option. I think Trae can at least one day hang in there with other point guards.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Even that may be a stretch since Harden is an elite scorer. He reminds me of Joe Johnson minus the defense. That's not a knock on either player. JJ in his prime carried the Hawks. 

Agree with you on that. Luka does not drive and draw contact much (like Harden does). I was shocked at his lack of free throws in spite of his size. It also amazed me last year that Trae had the knack for taking it into the paint and finishing successfully with his floater or making the perfectly timed pass that very few players would be able to actually see and deliver. If Trae can become a consistent player night-in night-out, then he will push his way onto the AS team and Atlanta will shock the NBA with a solid Playoff entrance.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

On the offensive end, this is really overlooked about Trae.  He is a physical guard whenever he goes into the paint. He puts his body into defenders.  That extra weight and strength is really going to help him.

This is pretty much part of what I have loved about Trae's game since last season. Despite the fact he was the smallest player on the court, many games he was taking the 2nd most shots inside 3 feet. Luka on the other hand was the complete opposite. He was bigger than Trae, his FG% was better inside 3ft than Trae, but he preferred the perimeter game way more than Trae.

Trae is a tough dude and if he is to get better on D, he just needs to bring that toughness to both ends of the court. And of course practicing and adding that muscle mass as well.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, enrique said:

Agree with you on that. Luka does not drive and draw contact much (like Harden does). I was shocked at his lack of free throws in spite of his size. It also amazed me last year that Trae had the knack for taking it into the paint and finishing successfully with his floater or making the perfectly timed pass that very few players would be able to actually see and deliver. If Trae can become a consistent player night-in night-out, then he will push his way onto the AS team and Atlanta will shock the NBA with a solid Playoff entrance.

What are you talking about? Luka averaged 6.7 free throw attempts per game last year, ranking him in the top 10 in all the NBA.You can be a Trae fan without saying things about Luka that are verifiably false.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Yeah, I think he's really good. I guess for me there's just nothing really flashy about him. I don't see him take over games and just dominate. And yet, at the end of the night, he's filled up the stat sheet. Solid player. Consistent. Really really good. But there's just something missing. The elite players like LBJ, Harden, Steph, Kawhi, etc... all take over games and dominate. I just don't really see that with Luka. I do however see that with Trae.

EDIT: I admit I don't watch all of Luka's games so I know I could have missed something with him. 

I see your point to a degree but his off the ball abilities is really helps his offensive ceiling. Not that he is Steph, he is more like him than James and Harden. To be honest, Trae got a lot of Harden in him. He just got a lot of Nash too. 

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Yeah, I think he's really good. I guess for me there's just nothing really flashy about him. I don't see him take over games and just dominate. And yet, at the end of the night, he's filled up the stat sheet. Solid player. Consistent. Really really good. But there's just something missing. The elite players like LBJ, Harden, Steph, Kawhi, etc... all take over games and dominate. I just don't really see that with Luka. I do however see that with Trae.

EDIT: I admit I don't watch all of Luka's games so I know I could have missed something with him. 

Dude still reminds me so much of Joe Johnson..the way he plays..the way he quietly impacts games..He’s just more aggressive  attacking the basket and has more vision..

• Like 1

Just now, bleachkit said:

For both guys now comes the hard part. Making your team a winner.

It's the toughest part. Both guys make a tremendous impact on the offensive end. Especially when they got guys who feel the game well. It's no surprise that Dallas moves this offseason were all guys who had a good feel and awareness. Awareness is important when playing with guys like Trae Young. 

I do think Trae has more potential defensively but Luka is no slouch long term either. He has great hands and he is not a scrub on that end either. Both players are legit ballers. The question for both is can they raise your ceiling as much as they can raise your floor. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It's the toughest part. Both guys make a tremendous impact on the offensive end. Especially when they got guys who feel the game well. It's no surprise that Dallas moves this offseason were all guys who had a good feel and awareness. Awareness is important when playing with guys like Trae Young. 

I do think Trae has more potential defensively but Luka is no slouch long term either. He has great hands and he is not a scrub on that end either. Both players are legit ballers. The question for both is can they raise your ceiling as much as they can raise your floor. 

Agreed but I will say at least in my opinion I believe as far as defense potential placed around trae compared to luka...schlenk has done a way better job on that part shall our guys reach their full potential whereas Dallas to me do not have enough to truly be good on defense with their roster as a whole.

so when we factor in winning between trae and luka I believe offensively they are equally great On that end but defensively trae has the better unit that can be very good defensively one day and trae seems to have more interest on defense so far than luka in year 2...but hey it’s just been preseason and 1 game lol but the defense side is what’s going to be the winning factor moving on for both .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, terrell said:

Cam REddish makes up for Trae's defensive liabilities....lol..

Yes!  By adding not one but two rookies who play some good defense with their athletic ability and huge wingspread, Trae now has a much better chance to defend his one opponent. 

Knowing that strength and defense was his two things that needed work the most, he has apparently dedicated himself this summer to improve.  With his work in pre season and one regular season game, he seems to have had success in his goals.

We will know more as we go into the season.  One game does not a season make but it gives us a sneak peak into how things can possibly work out.

:air_kiss:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

What are you talking about? Luka averaged 6.7 free throw attempts per game last year, ranking him in the top 10 in all the NBA.You can be a Trae fan without saying things about Luka that are verifiably false.

Sorry...I had not researched (statistical) his FTr (http://bkref.com/tiny/bWmhm) and based my statement off watching about 20 games (anecdotal). What I noticed was his insane step-back 3, vision, passing, and craftiness. For the record, you can read back on any posts I have made about Luka and there is PRAISE. I think he is a phenom. I also believe Trae is a phenom whom I am glad is a Hawk. You can also read back and realize that I wanted Luka and was upset at the trade. So I did not mean to arouse your frustration at people who put down Luka to prop up Trae. I am not that person. So yes, you are correct on the FTr, my bad. It was NOT an intentional misrepresentation. That being said, I did not notice it in the handful of games I saw. Sort of like folks that only watched 10 or 20 of Trae's games and called him a bust.

Edited by enrique
added link with FT/G for clarity
  • Like 3