• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will you be upset if we end up with a top 5 pick?

sturt

6 hours ago, gurpilo said:

Yeah, this is already a lost season so I am fine with tanking and landing a top 3 pick. This draft has a top 2 players, Wiseman and Edwards, after that goes down in talent by a lot. Wiseman is the best fit, Edwards might be the best player. If we fail to land one of these 2 it will be a major fail.

We'll end up with the worst record and the 5th pick. Book it...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Getting a top pick is probably best case scenario for this train wreck of a season. I'll just say if that's the goal, I'll only be okay with it if they trade away one or two of the young guys. I can't have 8 roster guys that are in years 1-4 of their career. 

Collins - 4th yr

Trae - 3rd yr

Huerter - 3rd yr

Hunter - 2nd yr

Cam - 2nd yr

Bruno - 2nd yr

Top pick - rookie

BKN pick - rookie

Too many young players for one team. Gotta trade a couple imo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GameTime said:

It does baffle me that in year 3 of a 5 year rebuild plan to become a legitimate Easter Conference contenders for years to come (something that has never been done in the history of our franchise) we have impatient fans willing to give up great assets for borderline all-stars. This will place us in the same dire, treadmilling situation we were in during the Joe Johnson and Al Horford era.

Everyone that is scared of Trae Young leaving us needs to worry after his 2nd contract expires. If we don't pair him with at least another superstar and become a treadmilling, overcapped, destitute team and not a contender by the time his 2nd deal ends, he would surely leave us. Other than tremendously overpaying for fringe all-star talent during free agent, how else can we get potential superstars except in the draft and stocking assets for a blockbuster trade?

Here's the problem...teams don't trade superstars unless they demand a trade. And no superstar is demanding a trade to Atlanta. So unless we find a team with a disgruntled superstar that is willing to trade to Atlanta it's a no go.

So then we have to lure them in free agency. Also a no go unless the team shows some potential to win in the playoffs. 

So for me, the only real way to build a title team on Atlanta is through the draft. But that is exceedingly risky. Not only because its difficult to draft superstars unless they fall in your lap but also because the more times you draft early in the round the more youth you are playing with. And that's problematic as we see this year. 

So for me, the only option is to draft another superstar to go with Trae and then use some of the young core to trade for solid vets to play alongside the superstars. It may mean trading away JC, Kev, or any if the rooks this year. Some combination of those players could net us some solid supporting pieces. 

But have to draft that 2nd star first. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Here's the problem...teams don't trade superstars unless they demand a trade. And no superstar is demanding a trade to Atlanta. So unless we find a team with a disgruntled superstar that is willing to trade to Atlanta it's a no go.

So then we have to lure them in free agency. Also a no go unless the team shows some potential to win in the playoffs. 

So for me, the only real way to build a title team on Atlanta is through the draft. But that is exceedingly risky. Not only because its difficult to draft superstars unless they fall in your lap but also because the more times you draft early in the round the more youth you are playing with. And that's problematic as we see this year. 

So for me, the only option is to draft another superstar to go with Trae and then use some of the young core to trade for solid vets to play alongside the superstars. It may mean trading away JC, Kev, or any if the rooks this year. Some combination of those players could net us some solid supporting pieces. 

But have to draft that 2nd star first. 

I agree with you on your draft premise, but disagree on your trade strategy concept. You think Harden was traded because he wanted to go to Houston? George to OKC? Oladipo to Indy? Griffin to Detroit? Westbrook to Houston? Most NBA teams could care less about where the superstar wants to go if they can get a package they desire and they are unsure about the future of said superstar.

Also, you don't trade young potential assets for mid-tier older vets, you trade young assets for draft picks or other young assets.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not all Superstars get traded to the team of their choice. You think Dallas was on KP's list of teams, Butler to Minny, PG to OKC, Kawhi to Toronto? It's what we are willing to trade for the stars based on their contract lengths.

I'm aware that stars can be traded to places they dont want to be at. The problem is then that the star can leave Atl empty handed. Does anyone really trust that a star will want to stay in Atl long term IF they didn't want to be here in the first place?

Edited by REHawksFan

Top 5?  Actually, yes.  Yes, I would be upset.  I require at minimum top 3 to be satisfied, the higher from there the greater my tumescence.  I'd just like the franchise to be in the 'cat' position on the catbird seat even if that's a completely inappropriate use of that idiom.

• Haha 1

hace 16 horas, Eddielives dijo:

If we get a top 2 pick, I'm all for keeping it for the two main guys...assuming of course someone else doesn't come from out of nowhere to make a legit claim for the 1st or 2nd pick.  3rd or higher we use it in a trade for an established player.  I still believe in Hunter but I don't want another pick like him with a top 5 pick.  I'd like to think we're a little more poised towards building a contender than staying put for another non-sure thing lottery pick.

I think if we fall out of the top 2, Carey Jr or Stewart might be good additions for this team. We need big boys that can play.

• Premium Member

I will say the one name that's left that hurt us the most and I don't think it is up for debate.

Dedmon.

He was very good on both ends. He pushed Len to be better which we saw Len do in the second half last season. Now that he's gone Len has regressed completely. Our offense and defense really hurt missing him in the middle.

9 hours ago, gurpilo said:

I think if we fall out of the top 2, Carey Jr or Stewart might be good additions for this team. We need big boys that can play.

Full disclosure I'm not up to speed on anybody besides Edwards and Wiseman as they're the 2 most heralded heading into this draft.  But these guys you mention would have to be close to sure things for me to feel good about bringing in more projects at this point.  We need a plug and play guy that is a consensus immediate heavy contributer like the 2 aforementioned guys almost certainly will be or use the pick to get an established star player.  

hace 11 minutos, Eddielives dijo:

Full disclosure I'm not up to speed on anybody besides Edwards and Wiseman as they're the 2 most heralded heading into this draft.  But these guys you mention would have to be close to sure things for me to feel good about bringing in more projects at this point.  We need a plug and play guy that is a consensus immediate heavy contributer like the 2 aforementioned guys almost certainly will be or use the pick to get an established star player.  

I think these guys are also plug and play although probably their ceiling is not so high

Listen guys, the lottery “game” just got harder. The modified Philly approach to rebuilding is a HUGE gamble, but it just got even riskier. We need veteran structure now more than assets or the assets we have won’t develop as well as they should. This 2K/Armchair GM approach to building a team will not end all that well..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

Aaaaand what about Magic's coaching/ownership career gives anyone reason to think he would turn this around?  And "beg" him?  What kind of chump does that?  And firing/keeping Schlenk based on the lottery results is the epitome of irrationality.  I'm hoping you're just trolling.  Are you sure you're not the second coming of Hotlanta?

Magic Johnson had a good run as GENERAL MANAGER/PRESIDENT of the Lakers. You should research before you open your mouth so you don’t make yourself look ignorant & loud. 

You fire him because Schlenk shouldn’t have gambled on the lottery in the first place and actually do his job. His job is to IMPROVE THE ROSTER.

I put emphasis to help you understand since you seem to have difficulty understanding the basics and would rather throw lame ass accusations and result to name calling.

Edited by EazyRoc