[Winter 2020] Woj Rumor: Drummmmmnd to ATL talks happening

kg01

53 minutes ago, txsting said:

Weren't you the guy proclaiming Cam as a future hall of famer before the season?  warbyparker.com

Future HOF? I barely spoke beyond his rookie year for the most part Stevie Wonder. I had extremely high expectations  for his rookie season and did not live up to them and I knew instantly in the preseason that he wouldn't. 

The most I've ever said about the future with Reddish is he can be the best player on this team one day and he could be the best player in the league one day. I still stand by those statements. 

Edited by NBASupes

6 hours ago, txsting said:

The eye test doesn't pass for me.  He doesn't look good on defense to me, except for the effort is good.  The results are no good.  He gives up 64% DFG, which is, well, it isn't good.  NBA real defensive plus/minus, he ranks 52 out of 75 small forwards.  I think the perception of Cam as a good defender is a blend of 1) homer bias and 2) he was so bad on offense that he didn't look like a complete bum on the other end of the court, so that's good right???  Right?

If I can talk speak for Mac...I think he was alluding to his on ball defense. For a rookie, he is way ahead of the curve.  Now unfortunately in the NBA, on ball defense is about 25% of the defensive game. Rotations, calling things out, recognition, switching, funneling, help are all parts of the team defense world. I would be lying if I told you he was a good NBA defender today. I brought this up months ago. The game is 100% different than in college and the bigger a player is, the harder adapting is. For big men, its a mess as they adapt to no zone play and have to keep stepping out of the lane and timing it.  Every big man rookie gets caught stepping out of the lane right before the cut pretty much every game.  If you see Len (not a rookie) play, his number 1 biggest deficiency on defense is the foot speed to cover the lane. If he steps out, he just isn't quick enough to get back. Every game you see Len late to give help on a driving guard.  Watch, you'll see it.

Back to Cam, he's adjusting. Occasionally you see Cam bring the help and catch up on the rotations. He isn't consistent yet, but 50% of rookies are downright terrible at it so that he's doing it at all is very promising. For a rookie, he's very good on ball, above average rotating and recognition. For a vet he's average and below average respectively.  But the progression is already there and he'll get better year to year. 

Right now though, I want the shooting mechanics to keep improving. Every made shot is one less wrong rebound leading to a transition basket. The wide moving elbows when he squares up and the varying release points make me cringe. Literally makes me cringe.

23 minutes ago, txsting said:

I tried to find some evidence that Cam shot the ball great in high school.  And at his PA high school, the limited stats available (5 games worth) show that he hit 58% of his threes.  They didn't have shooting stats for all his games though which was weird.  However that's a strong data point.  The shooting has to be in there somewhere!

2017 Nike EYBL (summer circuit, high end prospects), less good.  He was lauded for his scoring in this league (22.6).   He got to the stripe a ton.  Wasn't real efficient (40% FG and 28.6% 3FG).  Is what it is y'all.

22 Cameron Reddish 

22.6 106 263 .403 107 141 .759 36 126 .286

https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2017/player/Cameron-Elijah-Reddish

He shot 54.2% from three for U19. He was the star with P.J. Washington. Off the bench was Kevin Huerter and Trae didn't even make the team. 

He also shot 58% from three as a senior in High School. 

His rebounding in EYBL was 7.8 a game. 

His FT attempts were 8.8 a game. 

Like I keep saying to guys like you. He already can get to any spot he wants, it's all about developing craft like Lou Williams had to do as well. It took some time but he did. Cam will be a bucket in this league, just watch. 

I get you don't really understand this shit but it's okay though, you will soon

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He shot 54.2% from three for U19. He was the star with P.J. Washington. Off the bench was Kevin Huerter and Trae didn't even make the team. 

Like I keep saying to guys like you. He already can get to any spot he wants, it's all about developing craft like Lou Williams had to do as well. It took some time but he did. Cam will be a bucket in this league, just watch. 

I'm betting the longer arms post HS, the growing threw off his mechanics. If he "had" them, getting them back is much easier.

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I'm betting the longer arms post HS, the growing threw off his mechanics. If he "had" them, getting them back is much easier.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, thecampster said:

If I can talk speak for Mac...I think he was alluding to his on ball defense. For a rookie, he is way ahead of the curve.  Now unfortunately in the NBA, on ball defense is about 25% of the defensive game. Rotations, calling things out, recognition, switching, funneling, help are all parts of the team defense world. I would be lying if I told you he was a good NBA defender today. I brought this up months ago. The game is 100% different than in college and the bigger a player is, the harder adapting is. For big men, its a mess as they adapt to no zone play and have to keep stepping out of the lane and timing it.  Every big man rookie gets caught stepping out of the lane right before the cut pretty much every game.  If you see Len (not a rookie) play, his number 1 biggest deficiency on defense is the foot speed to cover the lane. If he steps out, he just isn't quick enough to get back. Every game you see Len late to give help on a driving guard.  Watch, you'll see it.

Back to Cam, he's adjusting. Occasionally you see Cam bring the help and catch up on the rotations. He isn't consistent yet, but 50% of rookies are downright terrible at it so that he's doing it at all is very promising. For a rookie, he's very good on ball, above average rotating and recognition. For a vet he's average and below average respectively.  But the progression is already there and he'll get better year to year. 

Right now though, I want the shooting mechanics to keep improving. Every made shot is one less wrong rebound leading to a transition basket. The wide moving elbows when he squares up and the varying release points make me cringe. Literally makes me cringe.

I disagree with the for a vet take. Cam is very good for ANYONE in terms of man defense. 

Cam is by far our best at rotations and is good for ANYONE in term of that. 

Cam is just decent for switching. 

Cam is still learning how to funneling but we don't help with our supporting cast. 

Recognizing is probably the most important it's the weakest area for Reddish but still good for a rookie. Below average for a vet. Bembry is our star here. 

VC is our best at calling things out defensively. No one else is really worth a shit at it. Sometimes Trae is. Watching it in person, you see why we are so bad on defense. 

Help defense in general, Cam is pretty good for anyone. 

He's a good defender for anyone. A rotational defender. A defensive starter. Not a star or superstar yet on that end but it's coming. He's the same tier as Lonzo Ball as a rookie and that's a good thing. Ahead in many areas over Ball in many areas but Ball's recognition is generational, even as a rookie. 

I am like LP. I think Cam is a legit good defender RIGHT NOW. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

I think we all understand the team will be so much better when Trae doesn't have to go nuclear for us to win.  We don't get to that point without developing our wangs.  Gotta take our medicine at some point.

You hate us don't you, eazy? 😩

Nah I was stirring the pot. He still can’t shoot though

Has anyone traded Drummond to Hawks on 2K just to see how he works with Trae. Actually I doubt 2K will be indicative, in this scenario they would probably do well, 2K doesn’t factor in our future and other things obviously but fun to try.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, txsting said:

The eye test doesn't pass for me.  He doesn't look good on defense to me, except for the effort is good.  The results are no good.  He gives up 64% DFG, which is, well, it isn't good.  NBA real defensive plus/minus, he ranks 52 out of 75 small forwards.  I think the perception of Cam as a good defender is a blend of 1) homer bias and 2) he was so bad on offense that he didn't look like a complete bum on the other end of the court, so that's good right???  Right?

Where do you see that he gives up 64% DFG%?  I see 44% DFG%

https://stats.nba.com/player/1629629/defense-dash/

• Thanks 2