• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

LP pulling no punches

HawkItus

• Admin
46 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Coaching individual players through the media is gutless. It should be done in practice and during games.

I think he is holding people accountable... the team has been embarrassingly bad defensively and it’s time to call them out on it.  Maybe they will start to put some effort on that end of the court.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I think he is holding people accountable... the team has been embarrassingly bad defensively and it’s time to call them out on it.  Maybe they will start to put some effort on that end of the court.

I think they put forth effort, but they have not been well trained on what to do in various scenarios.  Maybe it's low BBIQ.  Maybe it's bad coaching.

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

I think they put forth effort, but they have not been well trained on what to do in various scenarios.  Maybe it's low BBIQ.  Maybe it's bad coaching.

Maybe it’s misplaced focus on what the priorities should be.  

Edited by KB21

27 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Its almost a win/win for him. If the defense improves it is not because of Capela ( has to be his coaching right ) and if it does not it is everyone's fault but his.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I really do not care for a coach or player who constantly throws his players under the bus by name. Its one thing to say our team defense needs to improve; its another to call players out by name.

I am really starting to dislike LP. Anyone notice?

LOL . . nope.  We haven't noticed.

I do agree about coaches who constantly throw their players under the bus.  With as many small ball and poor rebounding lineups as he puts in the game, the coach MUST take some, if not most of the responsibility for the performance of the team's defense.

He sounds a lot like former Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick, who consistently threw her players under the bus and drove the bus over them, then backed up and drove over them again.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . nope.  We haven't noticed.

I do agree about coaches who constantly throw their players under the bus.  With as many small ball and poor rebounding lineups as he puts in the game, the coach MUST take some, if not most of the responsibility for the performance of the team's defense.

He sounds a lot like former Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick, who consistently threw her players under the bus and drove the bus over them, then backed up and drove over them again.

I just don't care for using the media as a tool for the blame game. That is for internal team messages; and except for when he took the blame for starting Len, I cannot remember a time he said he needed to do a better job.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The NBA today is nothing more than a 3pt shooting contest.  Back in the day you had to defend the paint, now players will pass out of the paint instead of taking a short shot.  Gotta defend the perimeter.  

58 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

His lineups are a big reason why we've been embarrassingly bad on defense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I don't expect to see him take the court until after the AS break.

I also agree with what LP is saying. This isn't Deke back there in 90's rules in the NBA where a dominant defensive center could literally save your collective asses on almost every possession because of his shot blocking and physical play. Capella can block shots and is energy defense but this isn't 1996 anymore.

No one is expecting Capela to turn us into the Pistons with Lambeer. But Capela is top 25 in defensive rating and should make a difference. I think its just BS and if I was Travis and Ressler, I would be questioning my coaches statements. They just spent 30 million dollars to shore up the post position and our head coach is down playing it in the media like its not going to make a difference.

LP is just full of shit as far as I am concerned. We just acquired one of the best switching and rim protecting big man in the game along with a bully for a backup. If this does not help him improve us, nothing will.

7 hours ago, Watchman said:

As someone who watched every minute of this team this season and some, it's not BBIQ for the most part. It's lack of a center, lack of experience, and a lack of backcourt size when Cams is not in the game. 

Effort can only do so much, see Jabari Parker 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Its almost a win/win for him. If the defense improves it is not because of Capela ( has to be his coaching right ) and if it does not it is everyone's fault but his.

I disagree, I clearly understand what he is trying to say. He is saying, everyone has a role in the improvement of the defense, Capela isn't an easy fix, just like Trae isn't on offense. 

The difference is, we are much more advanced defensively at this stage than offensively as a collective unit. 

Even Trae has a lot of work to do offensively. Defensively, I see maybe two to three areas where I would clearly like improvement but a personnel upgrade would help the most for him. 

Offensively, these guys are all just still learning the game. It's a process.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Sothron said:

I don't expect to see him take the court until after the AS break.

I also agree with what LP is saying. This isn't Deke back there in 90's rules in the NBA where a dominant defensive center could literally save your collective asses on almost every possession because of his shot blocking and physical play. Capella can block shots and is energy defense but this isn't 1996 anymore.

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I disagree, I clearly understand what he is trying to say. He is saying, everyone has a role in the improvement of the defense, Capela isn't an easy fix, just like Trae isn't on offense. 

The difference is, we are much more advanced defensively at this stage than offensively as a collective unit. 

Even Trae has a lot of work to do offensively. Defensively, I see maybe two to three areas where I would clearly like improvement but a personnel upgrade would help the most for him. 

Offensively, these guys are all just still learning the game. It's a process.

:good:

• Like 4

Right now, Dedmon will have a bigger impact on defense.  He has been here for 2 years and knows how.  He can be vocal and help get the others in position.  Hawks have been missing this.

LP pointed out that defense is a team effort and that all our players have room for improvement.  Was that wrong of him, saying that each Hawk was expected to improve?  

Apparently, LP doesn't expect Capela to play until after the AS break.  That's OK.  Hawks aren't really expecting to win it all this spring.  But, Dedmon could come right in and play tonight.

Maybe, with all the changes, we will no longer have to do our own small ball with three point guards with Vince Carter and John Collins up front.  Our latest young center is out, injured.  Chelsie Lane, we need your magic with some of our new players!

We still ain't there but we're gaining on it !!

:sun:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Somebody has a bee in their bonnet. This is overreacting/overreaching.

He did not say it won't make a difference. He's saying it still has to be a collective effort by the entire team. If you have no resistance on the perimeter, that's how you get your high priced big in easy foul trouble.

For those questioning why he didn't mention Huerter....there is a difference in what Kirchner tweeted in 120 characters:

Versus what he wrote in the article:

This is just picking at Nits.

I don't think so. Its nowhere near as dramatic;, but every time I hear a coach criticize a player in public it reminds me of when that idiot Mora threw Manning under the bus for four interceptions. Good head coaches/leaders usually do not criticize their players by name in front of the media. Secondly, even someone as clueless as Rachel Nichols knows Trae and the defense in general is weak. Why even bring it up?

It was a great day for the Hawks in general and good old LD has to throw some shade on it. I think it was classless and clueless at the same time.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I don't think so. Its nowhere near as dramatic;, but every time I hear a coach criticize a player in public it reminds me of when that idiot Mora threw Manning under the bus for four interceptions. Good head coaches/leaders usually do not criticize their players by name in front of the media. Secondly, even someone as clueless as Rachel Nichols knows Trae and the defense in general is weak. Why even bring it up?

It was a great day for the Hawks in general and good old LD has to throw some shade on it. I think it was classless and clueless at the same time.

I usually agree with your posts Buzz but this is a little too far for me. LD saying the team can't just rely on Capela to save them on defense is exactly the message he should be sending to a young team. Capela will help our defense but it still falls on EVERY player to play better defense.

What's the harm in this? Coaches should hold players accountable for both ends of the court.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I'm generally a "praise in public, counsel in private" sort of guy but this doesn't bother me.  He wasn't attacking those guys - more just listing that we have a lot of things we can and need to do to improve.  This would bother me a lot more in the context of a presser following a loss than it does in the context of discussing a new addition to the team.  LP definitely has a better set of tools for the rest of the season so he will bear responsibility for the defense as well.  JC can improve but has been competent there.  Both Cam and Hunter have been competent.  And now we have a good defensive pair of centers.  That is enough of a foundation to see significantly better results than what we have had for most of the season which is JC out on suspension with VC and Parker in his place; centers beyond terrible; and more raw wings.

• Like 1