Kevin Huerter is the biggest NEGATIVE on this team right now

Bonkers

It's becoming painfully obvious that he is a complete scrub. He just looks completely lost. Like @NBASupes said he looks overwhelmed. Not to mention, he single handedly gets his teammates into foul trouble constantly

And I've been cooling off on LP lately but he's making me hot again. He's the one who keeps giving this scrub MAJOR mins. How in the hell does he play more minutes than Trae!!!!

Absolutely ridiculous

Edited by Bonkers

He probably gets minutes because he plays better in practice than in games (pure speculation). I think we have to still adjust our expectations on some of our young players. This is still Year 2 for him too. I don’t disagree with you, but he’s just looking like someone who is going to take longer than the rest.

We have to chill with the “scrub” comment! This kid is in year 2 for crying out loud!

now as far as him starting i for one have been saying for months now that cam need to start over huerter. If huerter offensively isn’t going or in some kind groove offensively he’s not necessarily a waste but very limited.... always a threat to knock down the 3 ball & space the floor however.

cam on the other hand provides immediate defense at all times on the floor even if his offense isn’t going well. 

long story short it’s been time to start cam over huerter for a while now. I’m done with the huerter at starting 2 experiment.

• Like 1

He is a backup SG that can hit threes in stretches. The stuff folks claim about his intangibles is quite the mystery to me but apparently not to LP. His future on a good team will probably max out at twenty minutes off the bench not including other folks being injured or in foul mayhem. Do know he has fought off injuries but still hope the changeup is coming soon and Cam starts. 

He is very overwhelmed. As I said a couple weeks ago in my review. It's likely he wasn't talented enough to make the expected jump as his rookie year was good for a potential All Star sophomore wing.

Kevin had a historic rookie campaign. From start to finish, better than Trae but I knew it wasn't truthful. I knew he was regressing from his 1st half of the season which statistically said he was playing better than Klay Thompson at that time. 

This is why I never judge a rookie based on beginning to end because sometimes the beginning can be pure luck, situation, you caught teams off guard, etc. How you finish is what I care about for rookies. The best rookies like Tatum, Wade, Young, and others generally have had much better 2nd half than starts to the career. 

Of course some guys Luka and LeBron got it from day 1 but that's not the norm in the OAD or out of HS era. No one should have felt he was Bradley Beal Jr or becoming Bradley Beal but they did that because Beal sophomore year and Kevs rookie year had similar metrics. 

This is why you must watch the games. Kevin never had that type of talent. He really is the same player he was when he finished last year. It's that teams know who he is and his role has went up but his confidence has dropped some. 

I think Kevin will eventually come off the bench but not now, maybe next year. I still think the Hawks have a process for Reddish. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in SL this summer so they can see him in a #1 option role with Goodwin, Bruno, and our 2020 1st rounder.

18 minutes ago, txsting said:

Huerter is a poor man's Kyle Korver, and could grow into a real Kyle.  I think he's a solid bench piece, and I'd be plenty willing to move him in a trade to anyone who values him more highly than that.

He's nothing like Kyle. He is purely PDS. He doesn't have any movement skills at all. Not fast off the ball, lacks movement stamina and just can't run much movement actions outside of flares. He is fine for what he is. He just needs a smaller plate. Playing next to Trae and being effective is hard as you use a lot of energy on defense playing with Trae 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's nothing like Kyle. He is purely PDS. He doesn't have any movement skills at all. Not fast off the ball, lacks movement stamina and just can't run much movement actions outside of flares. He is fine for what he is. He just needs a smaller plate. Playing next to Trae and being effective is hard as you use a lot of energy on defense playing with Trae 

I wish he was PDS.  Right now P & D suck.     I agree with you though and feel like he needs a more specific role.  If he works out hard this offseason he may make a jump.  Get him carrying bolders across the sea floor like Kyle. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I wish he was PDS.  Right now P & D suck.     I agree with you though and feel like he needs a more specific role.  If he works out hard this offseason he may make a jump.  Get him carrying bolders across the sea floor like Kyle. 

He is the next best passer on the team after our PGs.  The defense has stunk lately and he has been out of sorts on offense.  Assists and rebounds have been pretty consistent but the last few games have been rough overall.  For the season, he has 3 total games out of 53 with more than 3 turnovers and ~40 games with 2 or fewer.  He does need to work out hard this offseason and improve his strength.

I think the coaches right now are very happy with what they've seen from Cam leading the second unit but it seems inevitable that at some point Cam becomes the starting SG with Huerter coming off the bench.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

at some point Cam becomes the starting SG with Huerter coming off the bench.

Yup 👍🏾 Said this at the beginning of the year and got grilled for it. Huerter needs to work in the summer and come back as our backup 1. He’s got great vision of the court and it’s going to waste because we have an even better passer in Trae. Why not have one of them on the floor at all times. 

The only knock against this idea is if Huerter will be able to keep up with quicker point guards defensively?

This summer he needs to work on quickness, strength and most definitely a post up game resembling his idol D Wade. If he gets a back to the basket, look out.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

He is the next best passer on the team after our PGs.  The defense has stunk lately and he has been out of sorts on offense.  Assists and rebounds have been pretty consistent but the last few games have been rough overall.  For the season, he has 3 total games out of 53 with more than 3 turnovers and ~40 games with 2 or fewer.  He does need to work out hard this offseason and improve his strength.

I think the coaches right now are very happy with what they've seen from Cam leading the second unit but it seems inevitable that at some point Cam becomes the starting SG with Huerter coming off the bench.

He does seem to register a decent assist number but lately all i see is him making blind passes to the other team.  I guess i just focus on the mistakes.  

6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Yup 👍🏾 Said this at the beginning of the year and got grilled for it. Huerter needs to work in the summer and come back as our backup 1. He’s got great vision of the court and it’s going to waste because we have an even better passer in Trae. Why not have one of them on the floor at all times. 

The only knock against this idea is if Huerter will be able to keep up with quicker point guards defensively?

This summer he needs to work on quickness, strength and most definitely a post up game resembling his idol D Wade. If he gets a back to the basket, look out.

He's a SG but he can't deal with all of that defensive responsibility 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Just to speed this process along, the answer is :  no.  No, he will not be able to keep up with quicker point guards defensively.  But it does mean he can pair up with someone like Goodwin who can do that and let them co-lead the offense.  

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He does seem to register a decent assist number but lately all i see is him making blind passes to the other team.  I guess i just focus on the mistakes.  

I do think that is a small sample size issue.  For being someone with more responsibility on offense than the other wings, his turnover rate is smaller than either Reddish (by a little) or Bembry (by a lot) and much lower than the ostensible points in Turner, Trae and Teague.  

Comparing the young wings you can see this:

Huerter 16.3% assist rate, 12.5% turnover rate

Cam 8.2% assist rate, 13.6% turnover rate 

Hunter 8.3% assist rate, 11.8% turnover rate

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

But it does mean he can pair up with someone like Goodwin who can do that and let them co-lead the offense. 

Ya maybe put a 1 out there with him. The plus side is if Huerter is the primary ball handler in this situation, it would allow us to have our backup point guard (Goodwin, draft pick) to have other attributes besides ball handling and passing because Huerter covers that.

Essentially we could go for a backup point guard who is a scorer and not as much a passer point? @NBASupes, who do you think is the best point guard in the 2020 draft right now that isn’t a pass 1st pg? Basically whose the best scoring or defensive point guard coming out?

• Like 2